Just spent $344 at Jiffy Lube

Did JiffyLube exchange ALL the fluid in the transmission or just suck it would through the dipstick and refill? I don't think JiffyLube changes transmission filters. They do not want to pull the pan.

That why I'm leasing now for $139/ Month

You can't really beat it and NO maintenance and service costs.

But I will likely purchase a project car this month and bring it up from the southeast

Tired of soulless, Modern Cars

I may not have been clear on a couple of points. The Pennzoil Platinum was $11.99/qt., not the transmission fluid. And yes, they sucked it out through the dipstick.

I just looked at the O'Reilly website, and they are showing Pennzoil Platinum at $9.99/qt., so a $2 upcharge is maybe not so bad. I wouldn't pay either price for my own cars.

Also, even though it's expensive, I think that you can come by in between oil changes and they will check your fluids and whatnot, and top off at least some of them for free. So for the non-mechanically literate, it is probably a reasonable service.

Since I do most of the work on my own cars, It did feel weird to sit there while these guys did stuff.

The $11 a quart just simply sounds like auto parts chains prices. The tranny fluid change, if your truck is one of those non-diy types,I can definitely see having a shop doing it. I wish it would become law that all motor vehicles are diy-able.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I feel the exact same way. I'm wanting to find that perfect creampuff. A mint condition low mileage like brand new 300ZX or 3000GT that someone never drove and kept it garaged. There's really nothing current that I even remotely like. The only car that even comes close to fitting the bill is a 370Z.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Stelth
Also, this isn't a complaint,

the fluid exchange was $189. Oil was 11.99/qt. Air filter was $29.99

I WOULD BE COMPLAINING!!!!!!!!
shocked2.gif

A fluid exchange at most dealers is $200.00/up for the transmission. So the 189.00 isn't bad. However for the small difference I would go to the dealer. The air filter for $29.00 bucks is a little high.

Originally Posted by Donald
Did JiffyLube exchange ALL the fluid in the transmission or just suck it would through the dipstick and refill? I don't think JiffyLube changes transmission filters. They do not want to pull the pan.

Filter changes are not 100% needed. When was the last time a transmission failed because of a 100% clogged filter? Dealers don't change them either - FYI.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Their whole business model is ripping off people lying to the customer about things that don't need to be done while overcharging on eveything they can, 11.99 a quart for transmission fluid? what does it have gold in it? 30 bucks for an air filter? lol

You're funny. This air filter costs $23.59 at a parts store. The Pennzoil Platinum was 11.99 a quart. At a parts store this is more than $9 a quart.

I won't pay the motor oil price but the prices of Jiffy Lube here are not out of line.

Originally Posted by CKN

shocked2.gif

A fluid exchange at most dealers is $200.00/up for the transmission. So the 189.00 isn't bad. However for the small difference I would go to the dealer. The air filter for $29.00 bucks is a little high.

The A/C Delco filter for that truck is $26.99 at a parts store. For a parts store brand it's $18.99.

Nobody DIY'ing buys PP by the quart. It's 23$ /5qt jug all day long at WM or Big River.

The price is what the market will bear, so kudos to them for operating a profitable business.

When my dad drove a fleet vehicle when he did merchandising for a certain cereal/cracker/cookie company I think they charged like $40 to replace a wiper blade, but it was all paid for by the company so who cares, right?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I feel the exact same way. I'm wanting to find that perfect creampuff. A mint condition low mileage like brand new 300ZX or 3000GT that someone never drove and kept it garaged. There's really nothing current that I even remotely like. The only car that even comes close to fitting the bill is a 370Z.

I had a 3000GT

Its not as good as it looks.
The body is not stuff like they took a Eclipse and just expanded it with no other concerns.

Actuall the 98 BMW M roadster was the best Ivee driven as far as soul goes in a moden car.

But BMW stigma and its not that pretty.

But not my money. Also, this isn't a complaint, more of an observation, so please don't attack me for complaining. Anyway. I have a company truck that I drive, a 2015 Silverado 2500. I like it, it's nice, and it's nice not having to buy tires, gas, etc. to drive to work. The boss has a Jiffy Lube account, and he wants his vehicles maintained by the schedule. So I go in when the oil life monitor shows less than 10 %.

Today I went by, expecting a $110 oil change like last time (Pennzoil Platinum). So the guy says hey it's time for an air filter. Sure, fine, whatever. If it was my truck, no dice, it was probably just getting good. Then he says, it's time for transmission fluid, and it's approved. I guess they have some guidelines from my employer on when they can do things. So sure, do that too. It's kind of hard to read the invoice, but it looks like the fluid exchange was $189. Oil was 11.99/qt. Air filter was $29.99.

The truck has a little over 91,000 miles on it, runs well, and doesn't use oil. So I guess things are working ok.

In any case, I thought you might like to know some cost figures.

In any case, I would have treated someone else's money as if it were mine and would not have fallen for that sucker deal. Those guys knew they had the green light and took advantage of that.

Last edited:
I'm personally not a big fan of these places- they are what they are but lets look at the overall business model ( not say any specific outlet)

I don't believe people should expect things from them they are not in the business to provide.

They sell convenience on a basic automotive need- not a professional full mechanical service

In order to meet that convenience factor they are probably process driven ( the in and out speed factor with simple tasks so they don't want either the skilled mechanic or the time for a skilled mechanic to do a good and proper inspection)

Upsells ( legitimate, questionable, ethical, unethical, downright criminal)- they do but they hardly have the monopoly on it.

Fleet service- many have stated this- this "cyclic expense" for fill and whatever still is cheaper overall than an in house mechanic and when downtime and total cost of the vehicle (and operator) being out of service far exceeds the rate they charge.

If the convenience is important as well as the risk is acceptable- use them, if not then dont

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Nobody DIY'ing buys PP by the quart. It's 23$ /5qt jug all day long at WM or Big River.

The price is what the market will bear, so kudos to them for operating a profitable business.

A lot people buy by the quart. Even a 5 quart jug at auto parts store is $39.99 everyday price.

Originally Posted by CKN

shocked2.gif

The prices seem inline with what people charge around here. Try finding a dealership that will sell you a filter for only $30, there aren't many.

Also don't forget most dealerships require you to have an appointment. My buddy is a manager for a quick lube in a lower income city, and I think their cheapest oil change with conventional oil is still around $50 if not a bit more.

This is a time is money deal here.

Not the OP's truck, but a company ride. It's not making money if it doesn't run and/or takes half a day at the dealership.

Would most of us spend that sort of coin on our own ride at a quick lube? Nope, we would do it ourselves. But it's a hobby for us. For the company, this is an asset.

Probably in and out in a hour, so the employee's time is minimized. Remember, the employee is also getting paid while the truck is in the bay. Pay for an hour of employee at quick lube or half a day at the dealership.

It's not so expensive when you figure the value of time of a reasonably well compensated employee. Even more of a relative bargain when you consider the value of the time the truck is available for work.

Probably not a good business move for a private individual, but for a corporate vehicle, probably not bad economics.

Originally Posted by javacontour
This is a time is money deal here.

Not the OP's truck, but a company ride. It's not making money if it doesn't run and/or takes half a day at the dealership.

Would most of us spend that sort of coin on our own ride at a quick lube? Nope, we would do it ourselves. But it's a hobby for us. For the company, this is an asset.

Probably in and out in a hour, so the employee's time is minimized. Remember, the employee is also getting paid while the truck is in the bay. Pay for an hour of employee at quick lube or half a day at the dealership.

It's not so expensive when you figure the value of time of a reasonably well compensated employee. Even more of a relative bargain when you consider the value of the time the truck is available for work.

Probably not a good business move for a private individual, but for a corporate vehicle, probably not bad economics.

This is the best response.

Back