Just spent $344 at Jiffy Lube

But not my money. Also, this isn't a complaint, more of an observation, so please don't attack me for complaining. Anyway. I have a company truck that I drive, a 2015 Silverado 2500. I like it, it's nice, and it's nice not having to buy tires, gas, etc. to drive to work. The boss has a Jiffy Lube account, and he wants his vehicles maintained by the schedule. So I go in when the oil life monitor shows less than 10 %.

Today I went by, expecting a $110 oil change like last time (Pennzoil Platinum). So the guy says hey it's time for an air filter. Sure, fine, whatever. If it was my truck, no dice, it was probably just getting good. Then he says, it's time for transmission fluid, and it's approved. I guess they have some guidelines from my employer on when they can do things. So sure, do that too. It's kind of hard to read the invoice, but it looks like the fluid exchange was $189. Oil was 11.99/qt. Air filter was $29.99.

The truck has a little over 91,000 miles on it, runs well, and doesn't use oil. So I guess things are working ok.

In any case, I thought you might like to know some cost figures.

That is interesting!
I've never have personally known anyone who spend that much in a single visit at a quick lube establishment.

Would you happen to know how well the Jiffy Lube price(s) compare to a dealership or an independent shop for the same exact services & parts?

I guess we all know(within a few dollars) how much it would cost us as DIYers to do the same work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Would you happen to know how well the Jiffy Lube price(s) compare to a dealership or an independent shop for the same exact services & parts?

I guess we all know(within a few dollars) how much it would cost us as DIYers to do the same work.

Let me put it this way.

I used to have a G1500 as a company hoopty, as did many others. They were on a rigid schedule - 5, 10, 15 they got what they were supposed to get whether they needed it or not... JL was one provider, i almost always took mine to a dealer and the ones who went to Jiffy lube spent more. I had oil changes done as cheap and 9.95 at the dealer but even at regular prices, if i was out for 39, same thing at JL would be 49...

The only real advantage was if you needed to you could get in and out of JL quicker, most of us would leave the van anyway though...

The contractor I work for has an account at one of the quick change places . I do not know what they charge , they bill my boss . All of our vehicles are serviced there . Makes it simpler for him , getting one bill , per month & saves him money in the long run , if the trucks are serviced in a timely / regular manner .

We go to a difference place for tires . A different place for mechanical work .

How are the waiting areas of JL's nowadays? Haven't been in one in years. For $11/qt I'd imagine they are offering dealer-level amenities.

Originally Posted by Stelth
Also, this isn't a complaint,

the fluid exchange was $189. Oil was 11.99/qt. Air filter was $29.99

I WOULD BE COMPLAINING!!!!!!!!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by daves87rs
Considering the prices I've seen lately, it's not that bad....

+1

The prices seem $$$ to me.

I'm glad I can do my own PM.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Also, this isn't a complaint,

the fluid exchange was $189. Oil was 11.99/qt. Air filter was $29.99

I WOULD BE COMPLAINING!!!!!!!!
shocked2.gif

Does Jiffy Lube tack on additional labor fees on top of this?

If not then they are incorporating them into the product charge.

Their whole business model is ripping off people lying to the customer about things that don't need to be done while overcharging on eveything they can, 11.99 a quart for transmission fluid? what does it have gold in it? 30 bucks for an air filter? lol

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Their whole business model is ripping off people lying to the customer about things that don't need to be done while overcharging on eveything they can

THIS ^^^

Personally i think the prices are fair.

1) your company does not have to hire a mechanic, or have a shop.
2) your company got its vehicle serviced in a timely manner.. Time is Money
3) your company did not have to drop the vehicle off at a dealer and provide you with another vehicle

I think quickie lube places deserve to profit for those that are in a hurry.

$12/quart seems high, but I don't know what fluid they are using. Plus product markup is normal it seems for garages. The rest doesn't surprise me--there's a reason why people DIY. Have to ask yourself, if you were running a business and had to heat&cool your garage, pay a wage and health and whatnot, and keep an attorney on speed dial--just what would you charge for your time?

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Personally i think the prices are fair.
1) your company does not have to hire a mechanic, or have a shop.
2) your company got its vehicle serviced in a timely manner.. Time is Money
3) your company did not have to drop the vehicle off at a dealer and provide you with another vehicle
I think quickie lube places deserve to profit for those that are in a hurry.

Here's the problem I have with them: Employees are pressured to replace anything and everything, whether it's needed or not. Air filters that are good are replaced. Of course, they still recommend you replace the oil again in 3K miles.
There is a Valvoline oil change place about a half hour from me. Sometimes I drive by and the bays are open. When that happens, they'll take one of the oil-change jockeys and have him walk out by the street with a sign that says: "We're open now with no waiting!" I feel sorry for those guys.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Their whole business model is ripping off people lying to the customer about things that don't need to be done while overcharging on eveything they can, 11.99 a quart for transmission fluid? what does it have gold in it? 30 bucks for an air filter? lol

The dealer will charge you $30 for an air filter for a large truck filter. I just don't trust a quick lube place with a high # of people who could careless about your car, or was smoking a bowl during break time, and comes back to an aggressive assembly line speed their brain can't follow, (seen it). While this can happen at a dealership, chances are far far far less. It is a recipe for oil pan plugs not to be tightened/over tightened, ect...............................................................

12 bucks /qt reads like it is OVER full retail cost, so that is an unmitigated ripoff.

Then you have the drugged -out ex-cons and anti-social delinquents working there; and most managers don't care about the work quality and customer experience.

So you end up with garbage service.

You have been lucky so far they haven't messed up you work truck yet.

They have really tried to destroy my wife's car(s) when we brought them to Jiffy decades ago. Luckily Ive noticed their
"mistakes" and corrected them.

NEVER again.

Now, I have heard better things about Valvoline Instant O.C. in our area.

I am sure your service experience would depend on the Store Manager and supervisor.

But not my money. Also, this isn't a complaint, more of an observation, so please don't attack me for complaining. Anyway. I have a company truck that I drive, a 2015 Silverado 2500. I like it, it's nice, and it's nice not having to buy tires, gas, etc. to drive to work. The boss has a Jiffy Lube account, and he wants his vehicles maintained by the schedule. So I go in when the oil life monitor shows less than 10 %.

Today I went by, expecting a $110 oil change like last time (Pennzoil Platinum). So the guy says hey it's time for an air filter. Sure, fine, whatever. If it was my truck, no dice, it was probably just getting good. Then he says, it's time for transmission fluid, and it's approved. I guess they have some guidelines from my employer on when they can do things. So sure, do that too. It's kind of hard to read the invoice, but it looks like the fluid exchange was $189. Oil was 11.99/qt. Air filter was $29.99.

The truck has a little over 91,000 miles on it, runs well, and doesn't use oil. So I guess things are working ok.

Your boss would work well as a money manager for any agency of our government, where spending huge amounts unnecessarily exists daily.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Your boss would work well as a money manager for any agency of our government, where spending huge amounts unnecessarily exists daily.

I dunno, I'm guessing his boss manages to use this shop truck to make money. I would ASSUME that the truck makes far more money than it costs.

It's funny, I just entered in all the receipts to our new-to-us CRV. All dealer service for its 160k and 17 year lifespan. Just shy of $13k in repairs and service, although I'm pretty sure I'm missing a receipt or two. PO didn't care, it was less than $1k per year and that was acceptable to her.

Back