Just put in Redline, but now confused ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might try running 100% MTL next time to see what that does for you. It is not the 50/50 mix of MTL/MT-90. I think that your transmission is just not well suited to cold temp.'s! It sounds like a design issue too me. I am runnint 2 quarts ot MT-90/1 quart of MTL in my Camry 5 speed and see cold Michigan temp.'s and have no issues at all with. I did have simalar experince as youthough when useing Royal Purple MaxGear. After 10,000 miles the RP MaxGear lost almost all of it's cold shift performance.

Well, after a few more days of driving and actually winter weather here now I have noticed the Redline performs better after a 1/2 mile or so of driving than the OEM did. I think I can just adjust to it being tough at the very start. My Ranger I used to have had Mobil 1 ATF in the manual box and it shifted fine in the cold, but I think ATF is quite different than gear oils. I still like having GEAR oil in a GEARbox better than ATF.

I'm running MTL right now and the shifting in the first few minutes of driving on cold mornings is a lot better than the OEM fluid I had, it's still a little notchy but is a definite improvement.

Redline really did the trick for my old Subaru gearbox. Much nicer now in the cold temps. The tranny and front differential share the same fluid, so it was REALLY stiff with the old fluid on cold mornings.

-Doug

Quote:

Well, after a few more days of driving and actually winter weather here now I have noticed the Redline performs better after a 1/2 mile or so of driving than the OEM did. I think I can just adjust to it being tough at the very start.

That's right. You will find that the RL MTF will perform ideally when cold at ambient tempes below 25*F (shifts like butter, something you wished stayed that way). Then there will be a very notchy transition for 1-5 minutes as the fluid warms up. At operating temps, you will end with an "improved" feel over the factory fill, but still with some notchines, regardless of season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back