Just inherited a car that hasn't been driven since 1993

We had a cc carbed 305 1986 Chevy Monte Carlo SS and had absolutely zero problems with that OEM Rochester Carb. For the times , that car was FAST & FUN to drive.
I knew so many Chevy dudes(I was weird growing up, I was expected to be into Hondas in high school) who called the Rochester QuadraJet the QuadraPig. but I also got the impression if it’s in the right hands with someone who knew its quirks and operation it was a solid carb. There was reason why GM kept on using them up until the Vortec TBI/CSPI and LT1 hit scale.

I knew so many Chevy dudes(I was weird growing up, I was expected to be into Hondas in high school) who called the Rochester QuadraJet the QuadraPig. but I also got the impression if it’s in the right hands with someone who knew its quirks and operation it was a solid carb. There was reason why GM kept on using them up until the Vortec TBI/CSPI and LT1 hit scale.
;)

Friend has a similar GM era car that he bought new back in 87. Black Regal t-type with 70k miles. In great shape and only driven in nice weather. Looks like a GN but isn't upon closer inspection. Seats are different but engine is the same. The GN was 2k more, 16,800 versus 18,800 msrp back then according to him.

Last edited:
In lieu of pulling the distributer to prime the oil pump, I would just remove the plugs, squirt some oil into the cylinders and spin it with the starter. It won't take long to build pressure and you don't have to worry if you got the timing back right again on an engine that you don't know if it even runs. Back in the day, I used to pull the distributer out to change the points (to the horror of my friends), but I knew it ran before so I wasn't worried if it didn't fire right away because everything else was good.

In lieu of pulling the distributer to prime the oil pump, I would just remove the plugs, squirt some oil into the cylinders and spin it with the starter. It won't take long to build pressure and you don't have to worry if you got the timing back right again on an engine that you don't know if it even runs. Back in the day, I used to pull the distributer out to change the points (to the horror of my friends), but I knew it ran before so I wasn't worried if it didn't fire right away because everything else was good.
I would do the same thing. It's worth it to take the time to put oil down the cylinders and turn it by hand a bit. Let the oil do it's thing while you rig up a temporary fuel system and check distributor cap/rotor, wires and plugs, etc.
Hook up an oil pressure gauge and watch for some pressure to build before hooking up the fuel.

^ THIS. Sounds like it may be a unique car and not just another '86 Z28.

More of the back story of this car, and pics would be fantastic.

Exactly. It's not about the investment. It's about the story and the memories of it.

My dad was a line worker at the Norwood GM plant in Cincinnati Ohio. He worked there from 66 till the closed the plant in 87 (or 88). I also had the true joy and pleasure of working with dad at the plant for a summer just as I got out of high school. This particular car was that same year, although based on build dates, It's possible, but unlikely that either Dad or I did some assembly work on the vehicle at the plant.

As produced, the car was built as a T-TOP. It was then sent to American Sunroof Company (ASC) to be converted to a convertible. As I understand, GM built about 200 of these. The VIN # indicates a T-TOP build.

In 1987, the convertible model went into full production. I was still working at the plant. Models destined to be a convertible were still built as T-TOPS, but instead of placing glass into the TOP holder, a plastic filler was used. The car was then shipped off the ASC for full conversion and the T-TOP filler removed (along with the roof)

This particular car, was then made available to GM executives to drive. The program at that time was that GM execs would drive these cars for about 5,000 miles. After the GM executive drove his allotment, he would return it, and then receive a new vehicle.

Normally, those pool cars are then made available to GM employees to buy at steep discount. I seem to remember about a 30% discount and there was always a waiting list. Dad was on the waiting list to receive a Z28 T-TOP

This particular car however, being just 1 of 200 and a new upcoming model, instead of immediately being being sold, the company used it for special events for time. Dad got word that they were going to keep it a little longer for "reasons". Dad did some digging and found out that 1) they had converted it a convertible and 2) it was being used in special events, 3) Did he still want it? Yes he did.

The car was used in special events. It was used as a pace car several times and I tracked it down and got to see it run as a pace car for a region race. ( I wish I had more info about that, much is lost to memory)

Finally, GM decided it had used the car enough and then sent it to a local dealer for delivery where Dad picked it up. This car was a gift to my Mom for their 25th wedding anniversary.

Mom and Dad had another 30 years together. They Celebrated their 55th anniversary in September and he passed away in November. Mom is sorting through things and asked me if I wanted it to restore.

Mom is 75. I really really want to get this car running and take mom for a drive in it.

Someone asked why it hasn't been driven. Well Dad wanted to keep it pristine. I had tried to impress upon him how to keep a car that way, but I wasn't able to convince him.

I changed the oil for dad in 1990. That receipt is still in the car. I took it home. Started working my first real full time job where I met my wife to be. I literally hadn't been in the car for 31 years. And that receipt was still there! ($9.48 at Valvoline Instant Oil Change)

It's 3 states away, But when I'm back in January I'll get some photos.

Just a teaser of photos. Mine is black not red.

Attachments

• camaro - 1 (1).jpg
    camaro - 1 (1).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 27
  • camaro - 1 (3).jpeg
    camaro - 1 (3).jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 28
  • camaro - 1 (2).jpeg
    camaro - 1 (2).jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 26
  • camaro - 1.jpeg
    camaro - 1.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 29
It'll be easier to get one of these going with s carb than a TPI.
Usually small block Chevy's with HEI are pretty easy to get going. I don't know if having so few miles would have much effect on whether it's seized or not.

I truly doubt it’s seized. im not even sure I’d bother to pull the plugs before just putting a wrench to the crankshaft. If it spun, I’d be just as likely to hit the key and go. BUT, some oil, or better yet fogging spray, in the cylinders would certainly be kind.

splash a tbsp of fuel down the carb and see if she spits.

i personally have no qualms with the qjet. They all have their quirks and strengths. The key was just to fiddle and listen patiently enough to understand what it was doing, then dial it in. Maybe it was a little fussy? But it was more precise than a Rochester. No qualms bolting a Holley to it either. My 2bbl Rochester ran if you got it anywhere in the ballpark, unless it rained. Or might rain. Or a corn farmer in Idaho spit into the wind. Then it wouldn’t, until it did again, and then it didn’t care.

i was romantically reminded of carb living today, cleaning the single jet in a honda generator. Honda made that thing silly easy to access and clean. Ran a piece of wire cut from a wire brush through it, screwed it back together and it ran nice and clean. Would be nice if all were that easy.

Back