Just inherited a car that hasn't been driven since 1993

Isn’t a 1986 Z28 Camaro either TPI or the LT1 350?

In any case, new battery, drain all the fluids/fuel, new fluids/filters, fresh fuel(maybe the fuel pump is OK if it’s electric). Then pull the distributor, use a priming tool with a drill to prime the oil circuits to avoid a dry start. The factory spark plugs should be OK but new wires and cap/rotor wouldn’t hurt - GM still sells them as ACDelco OE or Professional.

I only checked one source, but it looks like all 3 V8's on the '86 Z-28 were 305's. A 4 bbl. with the 5 sp. manual or a rare L69, also with carb. Automatics only got LB9 TPI 305.

A carbed vehicle will be easier to deal with than FI, regarding sludged fuel. That’s the only part that would have me concerned. the carb itself might be fine, and at most needs a cleaning and a rebuild. The tank and anything in it has got to be varnish by now. I’ve seen folks drain it down to 1/4, mix in fresh gas, swap the fuel pump, and run…. If it’s still liquid. If it’s dried into shellac it’s toast. I would not attempt to run the engine connected to the fuel tank until you know what you have there.

rest of it could be pretty straight forward. its most likely not seized if it’s been indoors.

In good running condition I'd set a budget of 10k to get it back into shape. As the car cost you zero i think its completely doable. As others have said turn it over with a breaker bar after removing the plugs and putting a little oil in each cylinder.
Curious as to how the interior has held up.

Yes. It's NOT a TBI system.
Are you certain that it’s an ‘86? The carb was last on the ‘85s, except for a very, and I mean very, few 305 HO L69 models. I believe those L69s were the last of the manuals for a while, and so, Chevy only made a few dozen.

Which engine and transmission do you have?

I don’t know of many cars, except for a few Duesenbergs, 300SLs, early Ferraris, and other very rare, million dollar cars, that are ever worth what was put into their Restoration. People restore cars out of passion, not good financial sense. The people making money on the restorations are the shops doing the work.

Ethanol was not required until after it was parked, so I bet you don't need to change the fuel tank. …….”

This is what pure gas can look like after a very few years. Any “old timer” has seen worse, just from pure gasoline.

Attachments

• 8FA0CCA1-EF48-4992-97B6-1A29EE17CA14.jpeg
    8FA0CCA1-EF48-4992-97B6-1A29EE17CA14.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 48E8C0F8-2307-4B85-A939-273D555DDC78.jpeg
    48E8C0F8-2307-4B85-A939-273D555DDC78.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 49
Some good advice here on the fluids. If memory serves the carb on this model was electric quadrajet which is more problems than worth. If stock is the desired route then get help and or advice on this. I`d be inclined to install an aftermarket fuel injection which necessitate dropping the fuel tank which should be done anyway. Sounds like an excellent and worthwhile project. Take your time and enjoy the process.
The electronic qjet is problematic but it should still run on it. I drove an 88 Cutlass supreme classic from where it had been sitting for over 10 years, I put gas in the coolant reservoir and hooked it up to the fuel pump. It immediately started up and ran on fast idle. The hardest part was stopping on the trailer without brakes. It ran smooth but had check engine light and was idling way too fast. 307 olds with the e qjet.

As the title states, I just inherited a car that hasn't been driven since 1993.

It was my fathers car. It's a 1986 Camaro Z28. It's rather unique and that it was a prototype for the convertible models of Camaros which followed in 1987. This car means alot to me. I only drove it a few times when I lived at home in the late 80's. Dad last drove it in 1993 when he parked it for the last time.

I intend to get it back to driving condition. But I'm trying to anticipate what to expect. This is what I know.

The oil was last changed in 1990. The car had about 9,000 miles on it. I know this because it was the last time I drove it and was doing Dad a favor right before I moved out and started my adult life.

Car was last driven in 1993. Currently has 11,500 miles on it. It has 3/4 tank of fuel. It's a 305 V8. Fuel wasn't stabilized and it was Valvoline regular Dino oil that was available in 1990. I has been kept in a garage all these years.

I'm expecting to have to replaced all the rubber parts, fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel pump, carburetor, all belts.

Any advice on what else to expect? What's that fuel and oil going to look like?

Thanks! (btw my old ID on here is dman4384. Not sure why I can't access it anymore)
Call in Derek from Vice Grip Garage, this seems to be his jam. Of course, you don’t want him to drive it home…

I believe he did do an episode on a similar vintage Camaro. V6, but the idea and vintage is similar IIRC

Call in Derek from Vice Grip Garage, this seems to be his jam. Of course, you don’t want him to drive it home…

I believe he did do an episode on a similar vintage Camaro. V6, but the idea and vintage is similar IIRC

I posted his 1984 Camaro link on Page 1, it's awesome. There's a followup episode where he does bodywork on it, as well as fixes the carb.

Are you certain that it’s an ‘86? The carb was last on the ‘85s, except for a very, and I mean very, few 305 HO L69 models. I believe those L69s were the last of the manuals for a while, and so, Chevy only made a few dozen.

Which engine and transmission do you have?
The lg4 carbureted 305 was available in z28 models through 1987. HO model's did go to fuel injection sooner like you say.

I'm subscribed to that guy. Awesome videos.
He is a fun one. Family isn't into cars, but the other night I elected to watch his ramp truck video on the TV; family came home and got a kick out of him too. I like watching Junkyard Digs too.

One of Kevin's vids has him attempt to run with old gas--only to get a bunch of sticky valves. Easy enough to free up, but annoying all the same. Maybe bad gas was the cause, maybe the valves were sticky to begin with, but unless if the goal is to finish a video and drive home, all over the course of a weekend, I wouldn't bother running with the old gas. I might even pop the top off the carb first to see what it looks like in there (after barring the engine to see if it's loose--just enough to see if frozen--and then wetting down the walls, no sense barring it too far with dry cylinders).

A carbed vehicle will be easier to deal with than FI, regarding sludged fuel. That’s the only part that would have me concerned. the carb itself might be fine, and at most needs a cleaning and a rebuild. The tank and anything in it has got to be varnish by now. I’ve seen folks drain it down to 1/4, mix in fresh gas, swap the fuel pump, and run…. If it’s still liquid. If it’s dried into shellac it’s toast. I would not attempt to run the engine connected to the fuel tank until you know what you have there.

rest of it could be pretty straight forward. its most likely not seized if it’s been indoors.
We had a cc carbed 305 1986 Chevy Monte Carlo SS and had absolutely zero problems with that OEM Rochester Carb. For the times , that car was FAST & FUN to drive.

As the title states, I just inherited a car that hasn't been driven since 1993.

It was my fathers car. It's a 1986 Camaro Z28. It's rather unique and that it was a prototype for the convertible models of Camaros which followed in 1987. This car means alot to me. I only drove it a few times when I lived at home in the late 80's. Dad last drove it in 1993 when he parked it for the last time.

I intend to get it back to driving condition. But I'm trying to anticipate what to expect. This is what I know.

The oil was last changed in 1990. The car had about 9,000 miles on it. I know this because it was the last time I drove it and was doing Dad a favor right before I moved out and started my adult life.

Car was last driven in 1993. Currently has 11,500 miles on it. It has 3/4 tank of fuel. It's a 305 V8. Fuel wasn't stabilized and it was Valvoline regular Dino oil that was available in 1990. I has been kept in a garage all these years.

I'm expecting to have to replaced all the rubber parts, fuel lines, fuel tank, fuel pump, carburetor, all belts.

Any advice on what else to expect? What's that fuel and oil going to look like?

Thanks! (btw my old ID on here is dman4384. Not sure why I can't access it anymore)
I did not mean to pee all over your prize. I would be totally excited if I had the situation you have inherited in my younger days. I am speaking from years of fun and misery with restoration and working on many cars - old and new. My main advice to you is .... take a breath ( I can tell you are not the type to jump into a mess you can't get out of.) think and plan and talk with as many "car guys" as you can so that you do not get in deeper than you can afford or work your way out of. Read all you can on the make and model you now own. Look into available parts which I am certain in today's resto parts industry and especially with all of the General Motors Corp OEM parts available and sold all across the internet you will be able to find every single thing you need. You will have a beautiful prize to be proud of to drive and admire if you can get it done. Good luck to you. Take care...

I don’t know of many cars, except for a few Duesenbergs, 300SLs, early Ferraris, and other very rare, million dollar cars, that are ever worth what was put into their Restoration. People restore cars out of passion, not good financial sense. The people making money on the restorations are the shops doing the work.
Right. Those guys with the resto shops are charging people (with deep pockets) unreal amounts of money to rebuild most anything. They charge as much as $50,000 / $80,000 even $100,000 to restore anything. Hopefully dman4384's dad had the car well protected in his garage and it has minimal damage. The body & paint should be ok and even the interior. I hope he is lucky and only has the fuel / cooling and brakes to deal with and not a bunch of gremlins that can pop up sometimes.

Too bad a bottle or two of Stabil wasn't added to the tank. I remember these pretty well since I was about 16 at the time. Agree this would be a rare version.

Back