Just how long should I let it go..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, right now, thanks to the snow, (and the garage being iced t again), it looks like it will be a while before this car gets an oil change...and I am debating on letting this go a while from now...just not sure how long.

Car is question is my Cav. Expect for two days ( tried service pro, car hated it, put old QSUD back in, never touched filter), the current fill of QSUD has been in the sump since last april (with a hengst made delco filter)Car at this point has just a tad over 2k on oil. And since it was mostly freeway, oil is still pretty darn good looking. And I know the combo can do a year no problem. My question is just how much longer should I go...I would like to go an other 2k on it if possible. So I would be looking at mid "ish" summer, like around late july or so. So I guess close to a 15-16 months maybe.

I figure it will give me time to pick an oil out for it. (the GTL stuff has my attention) From what I have picked up..this should be a non issue, but I want to keep from second guessing myself too (hate when that kicks in
wink.gif
)

So from those who are doing/ already done it, give me your feedback....
smile.gif

(and yes, thanks to this site, learned I could reuse oil...
grin.gif
)

Yes, 6k is at the low end of getting your money's worth on that oil.

I can tell you're just itching to try GTL Pennzoil.

Re-use oil?

Interesting.

Is that a case of dropping the oil out, keeping it, then sticking it back in or putting it in something else?

Don't you drag all the much out of the oil sump in emptying it?

Wouldn't you be putting this "muck back in?"

I change my own oil and I DO NOT change oil in the winter. Too messy. I change the oil before the winter weather hits. The longest winter OCI was 7900 miles. There is always one Ohio to Colorado trip and one Ohio to NY trip per winter OCI. The 1997 F150 has 3900 miles on its current OCI. This was the vehicle I took to Colorado three weeks ago. It has 244,xxx miles and no worries. Just use a good oil and filter.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If most of your miles are trips more than 10 miles then 6-7k/24mo will be okay with QSUD.

Sometimes, but more and more of the trips are getting around 15 -30, so that should help it I think...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Yes, 6k is at the low end of getting your money's worth on that oil.

I can tell you're just itching to try GTL Pennzoil.

Yep...had good luck with the QSUD so far....

Originally Posted By: BertieBlue
Re-use oil?

Interesting.

Is that a case of dropping the oil out, keeping it, then sticking it back in or putting it in something else?

Don't you drag all the much out of the oil sump in emptying it?

Wouldn't you be putting this "muck back in?"

Nope, it's the first time I've ever done it. I decided to change it based on time, even though it was still clean(ish). It went into a just cleaned out jug ( tide), and put it in the garage to give to a neighbor who wanted it for his beater. Switched to the other oil, had issues with it, and after thinking about it, decided it would be fine to put back in for a while. So the neighbor got the oil (nearly brand new) instead...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back