Just had a eye opening experience with my leaking PS system.

First of all the car is a 1997 Volvo, 135K miles with a November 96 build date. So we're talking about a car over 24 years old and nothing lasts forever.

I got a leak late last year in the power steering rack. I did some research and found the best product out there for leaks was Blue Devil.

I followed the directions and in the first day the leak stopped. Jump ahead about three months and the leak is back. I added some more of the product as the directions on the bottle suggested. The leak again stopped for a couple days and then it happened.

It started puking power steering fluid from almost everywhere there was some kind of seal in the system. The only place I could find that it wasn't leaking was from the inlet and outlet of the reservoir where the hoses connected.

Needless to say I'm looking at a new rack and hoses for the car.

Not a hit on the Blue Devil product but I just wanted to remind people that seals don't last forever in your car. Many of these additives for stopping leaks are only temporary.

Reactions: JC1
I think that some of these leak seal products are marketed to people for last chance in their trade-in cars....get the most out of the old beast before it goes off to the wholesaler.

Yes, its a 960. Re-manufactured PS Rack, new hoses, reservoir and inline filter will come in around $500.

Reactions: JC1
Speaking of Blue devil power steering fluid, I actually saw some last week when I was at an Ollies Bargain Outlet store.

First of all the car is a 1997 Volvo, 135K miles with a November 96 build date. So we're talking about a car over 24 years old and nothing lasts forever.

I got a leak late last year in the power steering rack. I did some research and found the best product out there for leaks was Blue Devil.

I followed the directions and in the first day the leak stopped. Jump ahead about three months and the leak is back. I added some more of the product as the directions on the bottle suggested. The leak again stopped for a couple days and then it happened.

It started puking power steering fluid from almost everywhere there was some kind of seal in the system. The only place I could find that it wasn't leaking was from the inlet and outlet of the reservoir where the hoses connected.

Needless to say I'm looking at a new rack and hoses for the car.

Not a hit on the Blue Devil product but I just wanted to remind people that seals don't last forever in your car. Many of these additives for stopping leaks are only temporary.
That crap (and similar products) blows every seal in the system up like an elephants trunk. You may end up resealing or replacing the pump also.

We have the same car and 4 years ago, I replace the steering rack plus the steering knuckle that sits above the steering rack.

Here is the mid west the little joint was getting very stiff!

Yes, I used something similar in an automatic transmission many years ago (1988ish?). It stopped the leak temporarily, then all the seals turned to jello. It went from something with a leak to something needing a full rebuild.

I went visit my brother ( before we went out looking for him a Nissan Frontier ) . The 98 mustang gt I gave him start having this grinding knocking noise . He though it was transmission . But when I heard it . It’s in the power steering area . Check the fluid and it was empty . Anyway I bought a gallon of Mac life atf and for the first time in 15 years I bought Lucas product power steering stop leak . Went home and did some turkey flush metrol thing and add bottle of Lucas . No more noise and it’s smooth .

I went visit my brother ( before we went out looking for him a Nissan Frontier ) . The 98 mustang gt I gave him start having this grinding knocking noise . He though it was transmission . But when I heard it . It’s in the power steering area . Check the fluid and it was empty . Anyway I bought a gallon of Mac life atf and for the first time in 15 years I bought Lucas product power steering stop leak . Went home and did some turkey flush metrol thing and add bottle of Lucas . No more noise and it’s smooth .
I wish I'd been that lucky.

Back