Just got the car out of 11 months storage.

Last month I took my Forester out of storage after it had been sitting in extended outdoor storage. I did the oil change with conventional 5w-30 while it was there about a month after leaving it. Can I go a full 3K interval on the oil if it hasn't been driven but was just sitting in the pan for that long?
Thanks.

Why do people keep saying this:eek:.... Yes it is, and he's using conventional... Assuming the OP does his own change why not spend the extra $20 on fresh SYN oil... Leave the filter on if you like....
Why? Because the OP asked. I f you really believe the oil is bad after sitting to justify a 3k change, why are you willing to leave a half to one quart of that "bad" oil in the mix by reusing a five dollar filter??(n)

Why? Because the OP asked. I f you really believe the oil is bad after sitting to justify a 3k change, why are you willing to leave a half to one quart of that "bad" oil in the mix by reusing a five dollar filter??(n)
A thinking person trying to be frugal would realize they could unscrew the filter and let it drain also then reinstall and be reusing that "bad" oil in what like 2% of the total mix? Also the cartridge style that mounts up top basically does this on its own anytime you drain... Thanks for all that science behind your reply otherwise sir...

Why do people keep saying this:eek:.... Yes it is, and he's using conventional... Assuming the OP does his own change why not spend the extra $20 on fresh SYN oil... Leave the filter on if you like....
People keep saying that because it's true. The "article" you're referencing is complete nonsense and appears to be a computer constructed series of mostly unrelated useless snippets.

Last month I took my Forester out of storage after it had been sitting in extended outdoor storage. I did the oil change with conventional 5w-30 while it was there about a month after leaving it. Can I go a full 3K interval on the oil if it hasn't been driven but was just sitting in the pan for that long?
Thanks.
Every year I store my truck about 7 months out of the year with new oil and filter. I start it up about every two months to charge the battery.

This month I will take it out of storage (after the snow stops) and drive it home from the storage facility about 20 miles away, at 75 mph. I figure that any accumulated moisture will be boiled off by the time I get home.

I find the oil will go at least 3k during the spring before I have to change it.

You're fine. My '96 Jeep has been sitting since August, drove it for 2 days in January and took it on a trip last weekend. Last oil change was May 2020. I'm not worried.
That sounds like my 2014 Mustang GT. Oil last changed in May of 2020 with only about 600 miles on the oil since then. Oil still looks new and I'm not going to worry about it.

You are fine.

Starting a vehicle in storage is crazy to me. Why have several "dry starts" rather than just disconnect the battery and charge it periodically.

You have to let it idle of quite awhile to evaporate condensation out of the oil and exhaust.

I store several vehicles and I either take the battery with me, or leave it in the vehicle disconnected and put a smart charger on it every couple of months for a day or so. Depends on the storage location. Batteries like cold if they are charged. Charger could be left on the battery indefinitely if desired. I've only got 1 smart maintainer and several batteries so I just move it from 1 to another.

Back