Just got a Daytona 3 ton from HF. Needs oil out of the box?

Just got this nice new jack and it says to remove a screw to bleed the oil and check oil level. Well I see no oil in the holding area.

So HF is 25 miles one way - all I can find at walmart is a bars leaks jack oil with stop leak. This is a new jack so I don't know if I should go putting that in it.

Thoughts? I thought jack oil was easily purchased at Rural King, Walmart.

My Rural King has Jack oil. When I got my Daytona all I had to do was bleed it and it works fine. I also grease it regularly too.

Autozone, and presumably most auto parts stores, sell hydraulic oil.

Every jack I've ever bought at HF had oil in it from the factory. I don't remember actually ever checking the oil though, but if there's no oil, you aren't lifting anything.
I saw a post on reddit in the past ~2 weeks for the same thing. It was brand new and needed oil added. I bought a Pittsburgh 3-ton years ago and it came empty and this was normal.

I saw a post on reddit in the past ~2 weeks for the same thing. It was brand new and needed oil added. I bought a Pittsburgh 3-ton years ago and it came empty and this was normal.
I should probably check mine then, but it's worked solid since day one, so I doubt there's an oil level issue, but you never know. IIRC the product manual stated the unit was pre-filled.

My blue 3 ton Daytona jack came filled from the factory, i wonder if one product number has it filled and then the other one doesn't? since HF uses usually 2 different manufactures to create a similar product (ie, predator 212 motors, one is a "hemi" and ones is a regular, but both are marketed as a 212)

Jack oil is hydraulic fluid AW32, ISO32 or SAE10. Some people run a little thicker just because they want to. Some people run thinner if they work in cold climates.

Although ANY fluid will make the jack function, if you’re trying to make the internal seals last longer/prevent rust, avoid brake fluid, motor oil, or water. I’m unsure about ATF, although I know a number of experienced folks that say they use it with no long term ill effects. Most jacks will have polyurethane, nitrile (Buna-N), nylon or leather seals, look for a fluid compatible with those materials.

Last edited:
Did you read the instructions? You have to bleed the air out. Read them first. Then follow the step by step and see if the oil is at the right level BEFORE you start adding oil willy nilly.

I should probably check mine then, but it's worked solid since day one, so I doubt there's an oil level issue, but you never know. IIRC the product manual stated the unit was pre-filled.
Double-checked the manual for mine and I guess I read it too quickly.... It does say before using it to "check the oil level" and "fill it to 1/4" below opening". That's just making sure there's enough in it, not that they ship it empty though. I do remember reading that and thinking "a 1/4" from the top of the opening or the bottom of the opening (where the threads stop)?". I bought a small bottle of "jack oil" at the same time anyway.

I better check mine too. It's a HF 4 ton jack. ;) It works well but...........

Did you read the instructions? You have to bleed the air out. Read them first. Then follow the step by step and see if the oil is at the right level BEFORE you start adding oil willy nilly.
yes I read the directions - how else would I know how to get into it and that I needed to check the level?

Double-checked the manual for mine and I guess I read it too quickly.... It does say before using it to "check the oil level" and "fill it to 1/4" below opening". That's just making sure there's enough in it, not that they ship it empty though. I do remember reading that and thinking "a 1/4" from the top of the opening or the bottom of the opening (where the threads stop)?". I bought a small bottle of "jack oil" at the same time anyway.
Mine says to the top of the piston.

Back