Just curious..any Hams on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you like entertainment there is also some to be had on HAM radio as well.

All you have to do is get a cheap SW radio with Single Side Band....

14.313 (on 20 meters) Upper Side Band (listen from about 9:30 am EST until late afternoon). You can listen to one of the most interesting people on HAM radio...His name is Karol Madera
and his call is VE7KFM.

Lots of interesting amusing people to be heard here.

3.843 Used to be a regular meeting place of the
"Possum Net" but a bit of a frequency war has been going on of late. (listen from about 12 AM EST until 3AM) The Head Possum is named
Mike Adams and his call is AE4FB.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Don Stefanik

I ocasionally talk to Vernon Kaspar W9FAM 90 years old and sounds like 50.
Great individual and has been a ham for a long time.
He has BEEN around as they say!!

Ask Vernon if he remembers my Dad, VE3TM in Leamington, ON. Dad's original ham license was issued in 1919. He was quite active (mostly CW) until the early 70's.

All the best.

Bob R

I'm still active over 50 years plus of "ham radio". Great hobby.

Bob N3OO my wife is N3YL

Received my ticket during Sept 2001. Enjoy building antennas, skywarn, ARES, local community events (MS150, communication, storm chasing). Haven't been too active lately. Did assist in recovery of Shuttle flight STS107.

When the wheels come off, hams are on the air directing traffic.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
so what do you guys talk bout or transmit when you have one of these radios? I figure you can only do so much. Why not use a phone to communicate? lol

Sometimes it's just finding out who you can get in touch with. Last time I turned on my HF radio I talked to a ham in the Ukraine. Not everyone can say they talked to someone on another continent without using the Internet or a telephone.

Ever hear of Skywarn? They use amateur radio operators who can report weather conditions to the National Weather Service. I listen in on the repeater so I can hear what's going on in cities nearby. Likewise, I can report what's going on where I'm at.

Hams played a big role in helping with emergency communications after 9/11. Police and fire had their repeaters on top of the towers, which got knocked out. Cell towers that were up there were also knocked out, but we can still communicate without depending on them.

Even when emergencies aren't involved, we do public service. I helped out with a charity event where several companies donated building materials, volunteers, and sent teams to several low-income homes that were in need of repair to fix them up. We had hams at each of these homes so we could call in to the supply warehouse for materials that were needed, or if we had a surplus of supplies we could ask if any other houses needed them. We could also call for more volunteers, and call for buses sinc the local bus service donated their buses and drivers to ferry volunteers. The coordinators and team leaders were glad To have us because unlike cell phones, we could talk to all the hams at each house and supply warehouse simultaneously. No having to dial up and call one at a time. The cell phone company donated phones, but they ended up being useless because they forgot to charge the batteries.

We can build our own equipment, some hams have been experimenting heavily and developing software-defined radio, some hams are into amateur television, radio control, satellite work, talking with hams on the ISS (and previously the Space Shuttle), and radio direction finding. The latter has the fun of trying to find a hidden radio transmitter, but has the practical aspect of sometimes finding sources of interference to other radio services.

But you're right, we can only do so much
grin.gif

N8YQM
ahhh, i see now!! A LOT can be done!!!

Recently renewed my license (extra) but haven't been on air since I moved here - haven't got around to getting antenna up. Just don't feel like it, besides, its rainy, windy, or I need to tie flies for fly fishing, or go metal detecting, watch ball game, eat-n-naps.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back