Just changed oil yesterday and used Lucas

Status
Not open for further replies.
oil stabilizer(non synthetic, one quart). I did this before I saw the Lucas test that bob did. (I just found this site yesterday btw). That is a scary looking test that bob did. Should I immediately do another oil and filter change?

That #@$%! gear set that you turn at the parts counter got me. I guess P.T. Barnum was right when he made his famous statement.
blush.gif

I would definitely NOT change the oil or filter. While I am of the opinion that Lucas products are not worth the cost, you are not harming your engine. If Lucas harmed engines, they would have been sued out of business already.

BTW, the test Bob did was not indicitive of how Lucas oil stabilizer will behave when mixed with oil in an internal combustion engine.

Good point wayne. I laid in bed last night thinking about this white foam sloshing around in my engine while I drive down the road. That test definitely scared me.
cool.gif

If you pull the dipstick and don't see bubbles or creamy colored oil, it's probably fine. But keep checking it every once in a while.

IMHO I wouldn't attempt to play scientist to mix-n-match (and upset) the delicate balance of the additive soup in my motor oil with OTC oil additives, period.

But then again, that's just me so YMMV.

While I am not a believer in Lucas.... There are plenty of Heavy Diesels that have run Lucas 1,000,000 mi +.
It may not help, but I doubt it hurts.

I'ld leave it alone. Check up on it every now and again like others have said. But I wouldn't worry about it at all. My two cents'...

John.

Lucas oil is on sale at my PepBoys for $11/qt. No one bought any for months so they lowered it down to $9 - last I saw someone picked up 3 quarts. :p I was thinking about it but said naaa - can get amsoil for half that price.

I keep telling people it will only be a matter of time before LUCAS will be in financial trouble. Sponsoring everything in sight and yet their products are not selling like they used too. Time will tell.

I guess Lucas is going to put their name on the new Colts stadium when it opens next year. Where are they going to get the money for that? I was down in Socal at Pep Boys. They had the Lucas oil for $7.99 a quart.

I think it would be a complete waste to drain the oil. Get some use out of it, and run it at least 3-4k. Lucas may not be the best additive out there, but I don't think it is going to do as much harm as some would like to believe!

Alot of people buy their #@$%!. I have two friends (mechanics). They aren't so bright guys, but they swear by lucas in everything from cars to lawnmowers.)

If their stuff is sold at walmart, it will sell.

The average joe blow buys that and a fram oil filter, and thinks they are doing great for their car.

Quote:

I guess Lucas is going to put their name on the new Colts stadium when it opens next year. Where are they going to get the money for that? I was down in Socal at Pep Boys. They had the Lucas oil for $7.99 a quart.

I read that they are paying over $100 million for the naming rights to the new Colts Stadium. Lucas must be making a fortune if they are able to pay that kind of money!

Lucas oil has been $7.99 from the start in my neck of the woods.

BTW "In March 2006, Lucas Oil Products won the naming rights to the stadium. The deal is valued at $122 million over 20 years".

If nothing else I'd be curious to see how adding lucas in dictated ratio to some engine oil would fair in a freezer test - might make a 20w-50 out of a 5w-30??? Caution may thus be advised to those in cold climates and who's vehicles see a lot of short trip use. I tried what was probably 1/4 qt in my 5.6qt crankcase of M1 5w-30 in a DOHC engine some years ago before finding this site(unknowing and despirate I guess), and that that's the only time I can recall seeing oil seepage from around the crank driven oil pump mating face. I also wish I had the oil pressure guage installed prior as well to see just what the stabilized oil pressure was...before and after trends. Trying to lubricate beyond bypass pressures does nothing for protection which is like 1000rpm at start-up!

Though I still sense an attraction to additives, I feel it's just to much for me to blindly trust the advertisements...heck it could just be an expensive bottle of kerosene and dye for all I know...and remember when chlorinated parafins were once utilized - great for timkin demos but bad in a moist crankcase. Again, I'm no chemist or formulator, nor someone looking to make a buck at anothers expense...

Sorry for the rant...

Lucas has their name around many racetracks in the US, sometimes that's all it takes to make a few bucks. Like mentioned above, I doubt their products will hurt anything, they may not help, but I doubt they will hurt. I'd keep it in the engine, if you could do a UOA that would be pretty helpful I think, worth a try.

Well jorhyne,since you admitted to this so will I.My daughter has a 98 Nissan Sentra, had a seal leaking pretty bad. Changed oil about 2000 miles ago, the oil leak stopped. No problems that I can see.I check the oil twice a week, it still looks fresh-no foam or air bubbles. It holds 3 and 3/8 quarts of oil. I put 2 and 3/8 quarts of Hav. 10 w 30 and one quart of the older type Lucas . I have a friend who also has a 4 banger and he swares by Lucas. His Mazda has over 250,000 miles on it. He and his mechanic uses it in everything they have.
OK now that I've told this,let me have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back