Just buttoned up: 2014 Jetta GLI engine replacement

Must admit working on my German cars takes some getting used to, but my family and I enjoy driving them. Due to maintenance cost issues my son and I do everything we feasibly can on them. Agreed, one needs to spend as much (more?) time on the "how to" research and parts acquisition. One needs to get in the "zone" of their engineering/design engineering. Not always easy. Sometimes over complex, but usually very solid and some would say "overbuilt".

Recall it took me a while to work out how to remove the cabin air filter cover without breaking it. Once I did, it was an easy replace. Infinitely preferably to the spring clip latches that fail after a couple of uses, as found on domestic vehicles.

What I have to look forward to next: replacing battery on a 2016 BMW 328i. Needs registering and possibly recoding. Looking at the iCarsoft Euro Pro OBD2, but very open to alternative recommendations before I comit to this costly tool. Seems it should work on my late BMW, VW and Merc. This is just to replace battery.

When my brake light failed on the Merc E350 I had to dismantle the trunk interior to replace the taillight board. Also an expensive part. Consolation was I saved big on what the dealer/local shops would have charged, and now I know how to do it for the next time!

Judging from Consumer Reports German car reliability no longer ranks as high, so the jury is out as to if they provide the best value in the premium categories. No doubt time will tell. Sadly, I have noticed the design trend to reduce costs on the production line at the expense of maintenance and repair. Perhaps fodder for another post?

A poor design no doubt, but keeping up on maintenance goes a long way. I feel many of these issues are negatively affected by poor maintenance practices. Wonderful cars when they are working though!

I witnessed someone going a timing chain job with Chinese Amazon parts on a EA888. I wouldn’t even wish that on an enemy - lots of one-time only use fasteners and parts but the parts got me.

I’d wish a Toyota 2GR transverse(non-Lexus RWD) timing or Ford 3.5/3.7 timing/water pump job on my enemies.

A poor design no doubt, but keeping up on maintenance goes a long way. I feel many of these issues are negatively affected by poor maintenance practices. Wonderful cars when they are working though!

I really wanted to attribute this one to user error... however the customer had it serviced either at my shop or VW with the correct oil since new.

When I pulled the PCV assembly, the head/camshaft looked pristine. As did the upper timing components when I pulled the upper timing cover off the old engine. I can safely say that neglect was not (or, at very least, was not a MAJOR) factor in this engine's demise. Even the level was full on arrival.

my simpler 2001 jetta 1.8T went 200 thou before trade when i bought my 38 thou 2001 audi TT 225Q roadster!!! LOVE those earlier simpler quality built VAG cars!!!!

Any pictures of the carnage and crud?

We need pictures!

I hate my VW and sometimes wonder what the ennjinears were thinking. Fun to drive and run good when they run. Must learn all issues with the platform and adapt to them. Bash away... will have to trade it in for another VW in a few years(when inventory shows up).

On my GDI VW, I figured out that a 10k mile IVD cleaning spray wasn't soon enough. So, its now an IVD cleaning prior to every oil change @5k intervals. Obviously already cut the OCI in half too!

Hopefully the new engine has all the updated parts and maybe might last longer. What was the oil change interval on this failed engine?

Must admit working on my German cars takes some getting used to, but my family and I enjoy driving them. Due to maintenance cost issues my son and I do everything we feasibly can on them. Agreed, one needs to spend as much (more?) time on the "how to" research and parts acquisition. One needs to get in the "zone" of their engineering/design engineering. Not always easy. Sometimes over complex, but usually very solid and some would say "overbuilt".

Recall it took me a while to work out how to remove the cabin air filter cover without breaking it. Once I did, it was an easy replace. Infinitely preferably to the spring clip latches that fail after a couple of uses, as found on domestic vehicles.

What I have to look forward to next: replacing battery on a 2016 BMW 328i. Needs registering and possibly recoding. Looking at the iCarsoft Euro Pro OBD2, but very open to alternative recommendations before I comit to this costly tool. Seems it should work on my late BMW, VW and Merc. This is just to replace battery.

When my brake light failed on the Merc E350 I had to dismantle the trunk interior to replace the taillight board. Also an expensive part. Consolation was I saved big on what the dealer/local shops would have charged, and now I know how to do it for the next time!

Judging from Consumer Reports German car reliability no longer ranks as high, so the jury is out as to if they provide the best value in the premium categories. No doubt time will tell. Sadly, I have noticed the design trend to reduce costs on the production line at the expense of maintenance and repair. Perhaps fodder for another post?
Finding parts for any European car is much easier than Honda I have now or Toyota I had. MUCH EASIER! Reason is that you have specialized vendors that make everything super duper easy to buy. FCPEURO, ECSTuning, AZAutohaus etc.

As for OBD scanner for BMW, go ProTool. You also need their K-DCAN cable (you can get K-Dcan, which is basically OBD cable, online, but these are extremely well made with stable connection). Order that on www. Bimmergeeks.com. You can go Carly, which is subscription based. ProTool requires Android, Carly Android or IOS.

Another option, if you are good with Windows is INPA tool. Free to download. It is BMW software that you can code stuff with and diagnose some stuff. ProTool is INPA translated “to English.”
Another option is ISTA. ISTA is BMW diagnostic tool. Also can be downloaded from internet. It is what BMW uses. But, both INPA and ISTA require steep learning curve.

Any pictures of the carnage and crud?

We need pictures!

I hate my VW and sometimes wonder what the ennjinears were thinking. Fun to drive and run good when they run. Must learn all issues with the platform and adapt to them. Bash away... will have to trade it in for another VW in a few years(when inventory shows up).

On my GDI VW, I figured out that a 10k mile IVD cleaning spray wasn't soon enough. So, its now an IVD cleaning prior to every oil change @5k intervals. Obviously already cut the OCI in half too!

Hopefully the new engine has all the updated parts and maybe might last longer. What was the oil change interval on this failed engine?

I didn't snap any pictures, but the car was well taken care of. The proper oil was used, and there was no sludge or any other real indication for the failure.

All I know is something in the timing set failed, causing piston to valve contact.

European cars are not for everyone… I’ve worked on a few and, when you get used to the fact that European engineers do things differently for whatever reason, you can work with it. Doesn’t mean you like it 😎.

I’ll work on them, but to a limit; I don’t know that I’d have done what the OP did, but that’s my own approach.

Believe me, domestic stuff isn’t any easier or better engineered. There are plenty of stupid designs when it comes to doing the repair and maintenance on a domestic car too. 😁

Back