Just an observation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my dogs for an afternoon walk and decided to list what brand tires were on the vehicles that were parked along the route. This was around my neighborhood w a mix of cars, trucks, suvs. i just observed the brand on each vehicle and this is what I came up with:
Good year 15 vehicles
Michelin. 15
Bridgestone. 14
Hankook. 10
BFG. 9
Yokohama. 7
Pirelli. 6
Firestone. 6
Cooper. 5
Dunlop. 4
Toyo. 4
Continental. 4
Kuhmo. 3
Nexen. 3
General. 2
Falken. 2
Kelly, nitto , Arizonan. 1 each
Chinese/ off brands. 24

Last edited:
What I like to do is look at the tire sizes and compare that size to my car's stock size.

I get a lot of strange looks from people in the parking lot, but I figure as long as I'm not touching anything, what's the harm?

Hmmm, don't see any Nokians listed. They are one of the handful of tires listed in the Consumer Reports review guide so not that obscure.

Another one not listed are Vogues but that's kind of a specialty tire.

Just guessing, but I would bet money that the majority brands fit one of two categories:
1. OEM brand
2. Cheapest brand for that wheel/tire size.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Another one not listed are Vogues but that's kind of a specialty tire.

Finally saw a set of Vogue's recently... on a Camry. Every modification and detail of that vehicle was squared away. A lot of owner pride there. But still... a Camry?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
[font:Verdana

I get a lot of strange looks from people in the parking lot, but I figure as long as I'm not touching anything, what's the harm?[/font]

Some people in our parking lots here too. All dressed up in aluminum hats with broken off portable radio antennas in them. Agree strange and harmless.

Hmmm, don't see any Nokians listed. They are one of the handful of tires listed in the Consumer Reports review guide so not that obscure.

The OP is in SoCal. I doubt one would see many snow tires in Los Angeles or San Diego.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon

The OP is in SoCal. I doubt one would see many snow tires in Los Angeles or San Diego.

Contrary to popular belief, it does snow in SoCal, as there are ski resorts in SoCal, such as Bear, Mammoth, Mt Baldy, Mountain High.

Also, Nokian makes more than just snow tires. In the US/Canada, their reputation is built on snow tires. THey also make and distribute in the US/Canada summer tires (Z-line) and all-season tires (ENTyre series & Z-line A/S)

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon

Please see below, thank you.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Also, Nokian makes more than just snow tires. In the US/Canada, their reputation is built on snow tires. THey also make and distribute in the US/Canada summer tires (Z-line) and all-season tires (ENTyre series & Z-line A/S)

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Contrary to popular belief, it does snow in SoCal, as there are ski resorts in SoCal, such as Bear, Mammoth, Mt Baldy, Mountain High.

Well, here's the thing. I have lived in California, and have skied in Big Bear, Mammoth, and Tahoe. I've also bought tires in California.

Most of the population is concentrated in the large metro areas along the coast, where snow is not a factor, except for freak, short-lived periods on the higher peaks. And when those occur, those roads are usually closed as a precaution.

The only other encounter most people may have with snow on roads is if a storm temporarily shuts down the Grapevine segment of I-5, the major N/S artery. (Fog is actually a more frequent and dangerous problem with that portion of I-5, because there's nothing the highway department can do to mitigate its effects.)

Those who don't seek snow will never touch it.

The major ski resort areas are located anywhere from 2-5 hours from these urban centers, with much of the driving done at lower elevations.

Road conditions become a factor only on the last leg of these trips, and when they do, most people either install tire chains, or rely on their M+S rated all-season tires, which are allowed under certain conditions.

Tire chains are the predominant traction aid, and Caltrans does a pretty good job of keeping the roads clear most of the time. Trips are also planned/altered with weather in mind, and snow conditions can be avoided except by those who have no other choice, or caught out by chance.

Even among those who go to the mountains with more frequency, one will not find many who install dedicated snow/winter tires, or invest in a second set of winter wheels.

I've also shopped for tires in California, from national chains to indies. I have yet to see any indication that Nokian markets their summer/AS tires here, and even if they did, it would be a niche brand at best.

So, the bottom line is that it should be no surprise that a single, random sample of tire brands on a dog walk in Southern California will not result in any sightings of Nokians. I dare to say even a larger sample would not produce palpable results.

Is there anything else you guys wish to point out from your armchairs in Ohio and NJ?

It's crazy how many off brand tires there were compared to michelins or goodyears. I never thought about it back in NY I honesty could say it was hard to get your hands on the chinese brands. In AR almost every car I look at either is on factory tires or some off brand tire. The only cars riding on good tires are people who race or go off road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back