Junk entire car over Scratched Battery ?

The thing is, a $20K battery replacement is pretty much the cost for any capable EV. We could purchase a lifetime of replacement engines and transmissions for a Nissan Sentra for the cost of one Model 3 EV battery. The Model 3 is the same exact size as the Sentra.
throw the vehicle away get another one

it was like that for generations and it will happen again

throw the vehicle away get another one

it was like that for generations and it will happen again
Yeah at 20 years old, which is a normal time to toss a car. You can put on rose colored glasses for how long a car lasts, but most people don't like dumping money into old cars. That's when people justify buying something newer. Do you know many putting new engines in cars with 200,000 miles? Probably not because at that point you'd be replacing every bushing in the chassis. I wouldn't trust a 200k mile car in a crash. You should check out the old Holden Commodore crash test. They were showing how the welds and the structural integrity of a car deteriorate over time. These rosy ideas of driving average cars 200,000+ miles needs to go away. There's no way even 5% of cars at that mileage are maintained to a level that is safe to be driven on the road.

can you read?

like i said…throw the vehicle away and get another one

this is a time tested tradition
Yeah, you definitely missed the point of what I said then. There's a level of where old cars aren't safe and people won't spend the money to make the most of it.

Yeah, you definitely missed the point of what I said then. There's a level of where old cars aren't safe and people won't spend the money to make the most of it.
ok? what’s your point? we’re on the same page.

throw the vehicle away. get another one. hopefully the average age of cars on the road plummets to the time when boomers couldn’t even drive

Nooooo! Keep 'em alive! My '65 4-4-2 and '68 Vette.

AMWts8A9BDiT9p2GeU_ez01lizWyD4ExfcoyZ2Iv71je7ljaJxzhCWec3YOrkW09QNaqq2Rti52Km97zN3-FhBOeNeRWNiM2K9p5pLW2cSlcb-iEYWU2i4BDK6q2trpjt_GGBmt_UwHUB1WKNe2cy5JdtItqbGM4bbe2ATDj0Eb32UbpbcNaorJ_H-I_qKzcnp3hxof6tm6SQeCYh_kBQfwQX4UmcDHL17XlcSdycJsyif8BqSvXcXPoGuZPZdLCFrSYEBSg0gwiU47x4-RoHXCKZGbuwnTPq41Z7PZCqz9KvThPLYOup8TCOQulBpjtCXimAGRUqkvBJBoRjfJ3cfltazNBeDyJ31X2klFD2s26Om-nv55H8cObutQ5yE6vOhfCbSpH6T4q8VTuppN54L9Ah91_Xjj21yjKRCgwh0irqn2dRfAwqcMQeSex0vk89FvIzDMTx0HPrJrvAPO8LGzHtr3ySh8b2xnV_sV0PBA4fDKd2Lkb68Dr4p9ySHcuaAhS-ziv9DXRDBTHViVw6Q2tVyp3nE9Un7L32aiaICugh8EHf0uBfd4i5S5eRsrv-0Spx9xQTqou2_cK15jD8efbI2ph18VVJwZXTR-CU1qthRjBg1MLyW8MncDKWsZu9_iz7hk9VLqs0bLj4Htt7fJaA_gtnPKfvFyA4SwF--w3um6X4quPsCfa79icJ-Ih0hApNd92g8UJxG8dfNDLOr-Pm2LfXZ7PDLijrbDqKxPN3pEEeCGxNt__HKuAG-Ra7qAx7SmkbRlDOnSVL6y6Cdls8_bh2VAAwoE0Gv5wU3dP3zVnGd0_9pLd9JqbCR75CMRngc6uNQCSf-TusVZopGiE49gL3s6Evc6ASuLKmrsw2hqjYxr4eMpW7SR81M-w49MkPotxK1wD_LfV3douh8zeJovQBA=w1306-h980-s-no

68 side.jpg

I wouldn't throw away my 88 E-150. In a little less than 5 years it will be 40. Odds are quite good I'll still have it with the original engine and transmission. In fact as of now the only parts that aren't original aside from wear items, is the AC compressor and the water pump. I wonder how many of us will be reporting back about that type of longevity from an EV?
27.gif
Even if it only had 50K miles on it I doubt an EV would be around that long, or even half that long. ;)

It is going to take the cult members a little time to conjure up a dispute for this but they will come up with some B.S theory. Just watch. LOL
Not a cultist, but with hybrids being mainstream the past couple decades shouldn't battery damage be something the industry should have figured out how to manage by now?

The article even states that most manufacturers say they are repairable but they aren't giving the shops access to diagnostic info to actually check the battery.

Nooooo! Keep 'em alive! My '65 4-4-2 and '68 Vette.

AMWts8A9BDiT9p2GeU_ez01lizWyD4ExfcoyZ2Iv71je7ljaJxzhCWec3YOrkW09QNaqq2Rti52Km97zN3-FhBOeNeRWNiM2K9p5pLW2cSlcb-iEYWU2i4BDK6q2trpjt_GGBmt_UwHUB1WKNe2cy5JdtItqbGM4bbe2ATDj0Eb32UbpbcNaorJ_H-I_qKzcnp3hxof6tm6SQeCYh_kBQfwQX4UmcDHL17XlcSdycJsyif8BqSvXcXPoGuZPZdLCFrSYEBSg0gwiU47x4-RoHXCKZGbuwnTPq41Z7PZCqz9KvThPLYOup8TCOQulBpjtCXimAGRUqkvBJBoRjfJ3cfltazNBeDyJ31X2klFD2s26Om-nv55H8cObutQ5yE6vOhfCbSpH6T4q8VTuppN54L9Ah91_Xjj21yjKRCgwh0irqn2dRfAwqcMQeSex0vk89FvIzDMTx0HPrJrvAPO8LGzHtr3ySh8b2xnV_sV0PBA4fDKd2Lkb68Dr4p9ySHcuaAhS-ziv9DXRDBTHViVw6Q2tVyp3nE9Un7L32aiaICugh8EHf0uBfd4i5S5eRsrv-0Spx9xQTqou2_cK15jD8efbI2ph18VVJwZXTR-CU1qthRjBg1MLyW8MncDKWsZu9_iz7hk9VLqs0bLj4Htt7fJaA_gtnPKfvFyA4SwF--w3um6X4quPsCfa79icJ-Ih0hApNd92g8UJxG8dfNDLOr-Pm2LfXZ7PDLijrbDqKxPN3pEEeCGxNt__HKuAG-Ra7qAx7SmkbRlDOnSVL6y6Cdls8_bh2VAAwoE0Gv5wU3dP3zVnGd0_9pLd9JqbCR75CMRngc6uNQCSf-TusVZopGiE49gL3s6Evc6ASuLKmrsw2hqjYxr4eMpW7SR81M-w49MkPotxK1wD_LfV3douh8zeJovQBA=w1306-h980-s-no

View attachment 148306

That's quite a bit different than what I was getting at. Most of these classics are meticulously maintained as an obvious enthusiasts car. I was picturing a 1991 Pontiac Sunbird with all 4 fenders mostly eaten away by rust and a suspension system barely being held together by the oxidation itself. 😂

I wouldn't throw away my 88 E-150. In a little less than 5 years it will be 40. Odds are quite good I'll still have it with the original engine and transmission. In fact as of now the only parts that aren't original aside from wear items, is the AC compressor and the water pump. I wonder how many of us will be reporting back about that type of longevity from an EV?
27.gif
Even if it only had 50K miles on it I doubt an EV would be around that long, or even half that long. ;)
Might, might not. Even then with ICE vehicles that's still a rarity. It's the exception rather than the rule, though on current battery tech that leans on you being correct, unless you replace the battery which is a wear item if we're to use your definition of what has been replaced. 😉

Might, might not. Even then with ICE vehicles that's still a rarity. It's the exception rather than the rule, though on current battery tech that leans on you being correct, unless you replace the battery which is a wear item if we're to use your definition of what has been replaced. 😉
Two things I do know for sure. 1. No EV has made it that long [35+ years in my case], and 2. an ICE "wear item" battery is still cheaper than an EV "wear item" battery. ;) Bottom line all we can do with an EV is speculate on its longevity and long term dependability. Millions of ICE vehicles have lasted as long as my old 88 E-150 or longer.

Two things I do know for sure. 1. No EV has made it that long [35+ years in my case], and 2. an ICE "wear item" battery is still cheaper than an EV "wear item" battery. ;) Bottom line all we can do with an EV is speculate on its longevity and long term dependability. Millions of ICE vehicles have lasted as long as my old 88 E-150 or longer.

That's not quite true though. There's both electric cars and ICE cars that are restored and working from the 1800's. Don't worry it's not surprise that this forum is rife with people throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. I'm guilty too. 😂. Your 35+ year car wouldn't still exist if you didn't desire to keep it on the road. Guys like us on car forums are a different breed. We love the cars enough to keep them going because we feel connected to them for whatever reason we see in them. It could be nostalgia of a time past, the "they don't build them like the used to" thing. That's true on many levels. Regardless of why we do it, I always respect that drive. I've spent many years dailying cars that non car guys wouldn't bother dumping the money in because it didn't make sense. It probably didn't make real financial sense, but I loved the experience I got from them. It meant something to me. I felt accomplished each time I got it back on the road.

Am I going to do this with an electric car? Maybe, I'm not sure. I have a lot to learn about it and while it's new and under warranty I have no need to touch it. They're definitely more of a "don't break the seal" vibe with these vehicles when it comes to the high voltage side. I spent many years in 12v, so the low voltage components in the car are easy. I'll do my own brakes, bearings, suspension, etc as needed if I have it for the long haul. It's still relatively new waters and it's only even more complicated by the fact that it is less understood and less people work on their own cars than they used to. I have to get my hands dirty at some point with any car though. That's where the connection comes from for me when I get beyond the driving experience.

I strongly feel I'll own at least one more ICE vehicle though. I want to get either the latest RS3 or the upcoming MK8.5 Golf R. I want to experience the final iteration of the VW MQB platform before the Golf goes electric only.

Oh I totally missed that detail too. The EV has the same battery as an ICE in addition to the big daddy fuel tank. There's another wear item to the EV.

That's not quite true though. There's both electric cars and ICE cars that are restored and working from the 1800's. Don't worry it's not surprise that this forum is rife with people throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. I'm guilty too. 😂. Your 35+ year car wouldn't still exist if you didn't desire to keep it on the road. Guys like us on car forums are a different breed. We love the cars enough to keep them going because we feel connected to them for whatever reason we see in them. It could be nostalgia of a time past, the "they don't build them like the used to" thing. That's true on many levels. Regardless of why we do it, I always respect that drive. I've spent many years dailying cars that non car guys wouldn't bother dumping the money in because it didn't make sense. It probably didn't make real financial sense, but I loved the experience I got from them. It meant something to me. I felt accomplished each time I got it back on the road.

Am I going to do this with an electric car? Maybe, I'm not sure. I have a lot to learn about it and while it's new and under warranty I have no need to touch it. They're definitely more of a "don't break the seal" vibe with these vehicles when it comes to the high voltage side. I spent many years in 12v, so the low voltage components in the car are easy. I'll do my own brakes, bearings, suspension, etc as needed if I have it for the long haul. It's still relatively new waters and it's only even more complicated by the fact that it is less understood and less people work on their own cars than they used to. I have to get my hands dirty at some point with any car though. That's where the connection comes from for me when I get beyond the driving experience.

I strongly feel I'll own at least one more ICE vehicle though. I want to get either the latest RS3 or the upcoming MK8.5 Golf R. I want to experience the final iteration of the VW MQB platform before the Golf goes electric only.

Oh I totally missed that detail too. The EV has the same battery as an ICE in addition to the big daddy fuel tank. There's another wear item to the EV.
Well I must say you got me on a technicality ;) When one of Musk's EVs makes it 35+ years let me know, and give me an idea of what it cost in repairs to get it there.

If you want, in my opinion, the best of the MQB RS3 or golf R then they have already been and gone. New cars are fitted with PPF‘s which totally ruin the song they make at WOT.

Personally I would be shopping for a 16 or 17 my RS3. They just didn’t get any better after this.

If you want, in my opinion, the best of the MQB RS3 or golf R then they have already been and gone. New cars are fitted with PPF‘s which totally ruin the song they make at WOT.

Personally I would be shopping for a 16 or 17 my RS3. They just didn’t get any better after this.

That's very possible. I'll definitely drive a few things before I get there. For now the '18 GTI is great. What do you mean by PPF? The Soundaktor? They're easily removed.

That's very possible. I'll definitely drive a few things before I get there. For now the '18 GTI is great. What do you mean by PPF? The Soundaktor? They're easily removed.
Petrol particulate filter. Most likely known as a GPF ( G for gasoline) in America. Basically catches the soot produced as a by product of direct injection. Mutes the exhaust sound a whole lot.

Petrol particulate filter. Most likely known as a GPF ( G for gasoline) in America. Basically catches the soot produced as a by product of direct injection. Mutes the exhaust sound a whole lot.

Oh well. Sucks but I'll be buying new. I'm tired of used cars and other people's issues. My current GTI is the only car I've bought used that wasn't hacked up in some way once I got into it.

Back