Jorgen Automotive-rack rebuilders-has closed

Wow....That sucks. They rebuilt the R&P on my Camaro & did an excellent job! Guess that lifetime warranty doesn't mean squat now.

Fewer & fewer vehicles have hydraulic assist, I wonder if that played a part??

Last edited:
That is sad news. I have a rebuilt R&P from them in my 93 Camry. Excellent customer service and products. I referred several friends to them due to the exceptional service/products they offered.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Wow....That sucks. They rebuilt the R&P on my Camaro & did an excellent job! Guess that lifetime warranty doesn't mean squat now.

Yep, I have four that are electric …

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Even electric racks can go bad. Had a customer yesterday I did a inner tie rod one as it seemed loose. But after taking it apart the rack itself has play in it and its electric.

Bigger issues are cars are more reliable, many manufactures will not share spare parts/specs, and you can buy a brand new Chinese one for the same price or less. I remember growing up there were shops that rebuilt CV axles. Have not seen one in years for the same reasons.

Or shops that did gearboxes, carburetors, and so on …
Maybe we don't know the story … people age and sometimes the next generation does not step up to takeover
(or ruin in the case of my old bbq spot, LoL)

Originally Posted by Kruse
https://www.jorgenauto.com/index.html

Info posted here before? If it has, I haven't seen it. Web site says they are permanently closed. Previously a company of good quality, decently prices, but I guess it no longer matters.

Huh?

It's just as likely that demand has dropped due to an increase in reliability of steering components combined with the fact that the current owners opted to retire and nobody wanted to run the business.

Whoa the did my mom's car last year, I guess no more warranty but they did a great job with OEM stuff from what I saw.

I'm sure a list of "repairers" which have closed over the last 5, 10, 15, 20 years would deeply depress many of us.

While driving past a 3rd generation starter/alternator shop I said, "If this joint closes....."

Originally Posted by Trav
Detroit axle is horrible crap possibly worse than Cardone (not sure if that's possible).

I don't know about Cardone.
But the steering rack from Detroit Axle that I installed in my long gone but sorely missed Focus wagon sure didn't hold up well. I think all they did was spray paint a junkyard strip rack with silver paint and send it out.

Detroit axle is horrible crap possibly worse than Cardone (not sure if that's possible).

Yea them and some other re-builder are doing so poorly now I went with a Chinese new rack than a remain OE one.
A year later and my customer is still happy and no leaks. I rather support American jobs but low quality is not an option, esp on what it takes to replace many racks.

Originally Posted by Jimzz

Yea them and some other re-builder are doing so poorly now I went with a Chinese new rack than a remain OE one.
A year later and my customer is still happy and no leaks. I rather support American jobs but low quality is not an option, esp on what it takes to replace many racks.

The American quality argument is a slippery slope that goes real fast. Sure, I still hear folks talk about American cars as low quality (if there are even American cars being made anymore, are they all trucks and SUVs and where do the parts actually come from. Even if assembled here. But anyways)and how Japanese cars are perhaps a high standard of quality.. though supposedly Toyota is no longer as such on reliability. I get that this post is about parts, still though. China may make some quality things, not talking about cheap tools vs SK or anything like that but

Perhaps we should explore the China quality aspect.

American manufacturing has always been something we need to happen, what is with dragging down the
34.gif
every chance we get !!

Its not just parts that are being discussed its about rebuilders. I would buy a Raybestos element 3 or Pagid new Chinese made caliper before any retail store rebuild.
Even if you rebuild it yourself the service parts if not OE are not the same quality as they once were.

Muffler shops have had this happen as well. When I moved to Colorado in 1991 i think my town had 4 or more muffler shops i think there is one left.

I can remember auto parts stores had literally hundreds of mufflers and pipes hanging, today they carry very few if any but can get it from the warehouse overnight.

Just wondering if anyone has discovered a good replacement manufacture for Jorgen. I was hoping that maybe one of Jorgen's employees would have started his own business.

Back