John Deere X500, X530

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local John Deere dealer has each of these 2 models on their lot for sale. They are used. Nice looking machine's. I am sure the Kawasaki engines and hydrostatic transaxles are quite good, but I just can't get past the cheap [censored]ed "plastic" hoods on these. They had better be an excellent machine before I part with my hard earned cash, and my old 210 and 212. Any current owner thoughts?

A lot of it depends on how the hood mounts. The 100 series from Home Depot for example have plastic hoods with cheap plastic inserts for the hood bracket (which is metal). These plastic inserts often break and the hood falls off the bracket when you open it. Since the inserts that hold the hood to the bracket are molded into the hood, you have to replace the whole hood. I've replaced a few of them for customers and they aren't cheap. I like Deere equipment but dang their plastic must have gold mixed into it.

I'd stick with the 210 and 212. Solid machines.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
The hood on your 212 is fiberglass. Far more brittle and unforgiving than plastic.

It seems to be quite durable. Still in perfect condition. The 212 is a 1978 and the 210 is a 1982.

MY Dad has a 2007 540 with a 54" deck and it's been a great machine. I think the only difference between the the 530 and the 540 is that the 540 is liquid cooled. It cuts great and is very easy to service. He's had zero trouble in roughly 300 hours.

Last edited:
I believe the current X500s start at just under $6000. They're still a vertical shaft engine with belt drive, Tufftorq K72 trans, but it's well built. I wouldn't let the plastic hood scare me a bit. Like said, it's all about how it's supported. Gazillion dollar farm equipment and OTR tractors have plastic hoods. I've seen some ~1000hr X500s for ~$2500. Many homeowners could get another 12-15yrs+ out of that.

MY JD L110 has a hood that has given not problems for 11 years? I don't stand on it though. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Thermoplastic hood. It is what auto bumpers are generally made of. Ed

The hood on my 2005 G110 is just starting to show signs of age. Some of the plastic tabs have broken that hold the bracket. It is still hanging on, but barely. I'm not upset about it though, since the tractor has almost 700 hours on it and I open the hood before every use to check the oil. The tractor also gets used year round for mowing, leaf pickup, and snow blowing a few different yards and driveways. The G110 is kind of a unique machine because it was only made for 2 years. It was the garden tractor version of the 100 series sold at Home Depot. It has a heavier duty rear frame, Kohler 25HP V-Twin, 23" rear tires, 54" deck, and heavy duty K66 hydro transmission. A sleeve hitch for rear mounted ground engaging implements was an option. Since they were higher priced than the other Home Depot models they discontinued them.

nv20506_1_400.jpg

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
A lot of it depends on how the hood mounts. The 100 series from Home Depot for example have plastic hoods with cheap plastic inserts for the hood bracket (which is metal). These plastic inserts often break and the hood falls off the bracket when you open it. Since the inserts that hold the hood to the bracket are molded into the hood, you have to replace the whole hood. I've replaced a few of them for customers and they aren't cheap. I like Deere equipment but dang their plastic must have gold mixed into it.

You know what? After looking at these 2 models at my dealer, real hard, I have realized this is the correct answer. The old 200 series are tough as nails and bullet proof as evidenced by their age. Mine are in absolute excellent condition and the dealer really doesn't want them on a trade, so screw 'em!

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

You know what? After looking at these 2 models at my dealer, real hard, I have realized this is the correct answer. The old 200 series are tough as nails and bullet proof as evidenced by their age. Mine are in absolute excellent condition and the dealer really doesn't want them on a trade, so screw 'em!

thumbsup2.gif

Considering the cost of a new machine, you could save that money for 20 years from now when the cast iron Kohlers need a rebuild, and still have a ton left over.

Last edited:
^ Agreed. The JD 200 series are iron beasts for sure, but depending on how intensive your mowing is, an X500 is so much nicer to mow with. Foot pedal hydrostatic drive, tighter turning radius and more power for the same or maybe even less fuel consumption.

I own an X530, absolutely the best mower I have ever used. Rolled 500 hrs. last time it was used, zero issues with the Kawasaki.

Originally Posted By: JTK
^ Agreed. The JD 200 series are iron beasts for sure, but depending on how intensive your mowing is, an X500 is so much nicer to mow with. Foot pedal hydrostatic drive, tighter turning radius and more power for the same or maybe even less fuel consumption.

I am sure they are. Much easier to get on and off to. However, I don't use these things every day. 1-2x a week in the summer and as needed to plow my driveway during the winter months. I think for now I will keep what I got and be content with it. I use them the most in the fall towing my Agri Fab lawn vacuum. 2-3x a week. They have been very good to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back