john deere rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using the jd +50 15/40 and 10/30 for a few years now.

I have always had trouble dealing with my local jd dealer.
They do stock the 15/40 but refuse to order the 5/40 or the 10/30. They have gone so far to tell me that they do not exist even after I gave them a stock number for their system. Even after I purchased elsewhere and brought them gallon jugs they still refused to order or even try to search other dealers for stock.

The last straw was Friday. I went to purchase a drum of 15/40 and was told that the price would be $970.00 which would be $17.63 per gallon. Ok, but I had just purchased a 5gal bucket the previous day for $65.0 or $13.0 per gallon. I then asked how much a 1 gallon jug was and it was $15.43 per gallon.

At that point I asked why the bulk price was so much higher than the gallon or pail and they said that it was the price of the drum. Ok I said how about if I bring my own drum and we pump it into mine. Nope same price. Ok how about I bring my own drum and we pour 11 5 gallon buckets into it.

Ok that will be $715.00.

At that point I had to leave because you just cannot fight STUPID.

Can anyone explain what the he-- is going on.

More to the point is there anyone on this site that can tell me where to get the jd + 50 product in drums.

I am considering going away completely from jd oil products. I use Schaeffer products for all of my other lubrication needs but their oil costs too much as I am only willing to run 5 or 6 thousand miles in my vehicles.
I need bulk oil for the shop for customer oil changes. I am considering going back to Valvoline but I get a better bulk price from the Conoco/Phillips distributor.
Long ago I used kendall oil but that was before they were bought by conoco/phillips and the formula changed.

I do not like the liquid titanium [censored] that they are pushing especially since the tbn of these oils is 9.5
At least the old super d3 that they have for sale is 12.2tbn

sorry for the rambling rant

bottom line any feedback on the conoco/phillips products

thank you for your time

jim

Wow. Our prices for +50 aren't that high here. Sounds like you have a bad dealer. Titanium has been showing good uoa results, COP mixes it with some moly. Why do you not like titanium? I've had good success with their oils. If you can't get those, Shell rotella oils can be had very reasonable. Alot of oils now have a little bit lower tbn but seems to have better tbn retention.

Last edited:
That is an excellent and well deserved rant. Either you p.offed your dealer or they are making so much income that they have no need to accommodate their customers. You already have this figured out....."you can't fix stupid".

Google "oil distributors" for your locale and you should come up with plenty of companies wanting your business.

Maybe Dnewton or Jim Allen will chime in to explain why any name brand oil today will likely more than meet your needs, so you can safely shop by price, vs. brand preference.

Or, you can move to the midwest and have your JD oil delivered for under $13 per gallon: http://www.sloans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Bulk-Oil-Price-Sheet2.pdf

Have a great weekend and rest assure, people will come up with some good solutions for you here at BITOG.

I can understand your frustration, the way I understand it everything is more expensive on the left coast.

Here in the midwest Plus 50 II, atleast the last time I checked, was still $11.55 a gallon bulk (15w-40).

My last purchase of 10w-30 was 14 dollars and change in gallon containers, I don't use enough of it to justify a barrel.

The 0w-40 (no 5w-40 to my knowledge) is pricey and I don't know the current pricing. You could try another dealer to compare pricing, but here dealers have been consolidated. One owner for seven dealers in my area doesn't bode well for competitive pricing.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
What part of California are you at? It is hard to help you when you live in a state that is larger than the size of Japan.

I am in San Diego county

I did check another dealer and he also wanted $970.0 for a barrel

The jd dealer that I get my 10/30 from quoted me $625 for a barrel but he is 2 hours away.

Because this is for the shop I need to have a local source. I was willing to go to the trouble of getting jd oil because I like it, but if they have these kinds of idiots selling it, it may not be as good as I think.

I am sure dnewton would remind me that jd oil is oil just like the connoco/phillips that I am considering.
Furthermore since I do not have voa or uoa I know nothing.

thanks for all of the replies
probably going to go with c/p fleet oil for 15/40 and 0/30.

I can get 2 barrels for a little more than the cost of one barrel of jd

jim

roadrunner1 said:
I can understand your frustration, the way I understand it everything is more expensive on the left coast.

Here in the midwest Plus 50 II, atleast the last time I checked, was still $11.55 a gallon bulk (15w-40).

My last purchase of 10w-30 was 14 dollars and change in gallon containers, I don't use enough of it to justify a barrel.

unfortunately farming has been mostly run out of san diego county

my local jd dealership sells lawn equipment and hats the next closest one is in orange county

jim

I have two comments:

1) it's unfortunate that your JD dealership is so difficult to work with

2) that being said, don't go there any more. If you don't like the prices, then quit shopping those products there. If you're frustrated, it's at least part your fault for continuing to labor over it. Rather, just get over it.

You don't need JD branded lubes any more than anything else. There are PLENTY of 10w-30 HDEOs available from other makers. Find a good lube marketer in your area, and never look back.

I wouldn't bother going back to the JD dealership either but I wonder if there was a core charge on the drum that would get refunded once you return it. Most drum cores I've seen are only like $20 or something though.

I agree with dnewton so find a Chevron distributor and order a drum of Delo 10w30. You won't be disappointed...

Quote:
I use Schaeffer products for all of my other lubrication needs but their oil costs too much as I am only willing to run 5 or 6 thousand miles in my vehicles.
Why? Do you change your tires at a certain mileage without looking at their condition? How about having a testing lab look at the condition of your oil a few times (not every time) so you know its condition and when it needs to be changed? It'll save you money.

Quote:
the tbn of these oils is 9.5. At least the old super d3 that they have for sale is 12.2tbn
The TBN that matters is the TBN remaining when the oil is worn out and due for a change. Better additives make the TBN last longer, so it will not be as high when new. Again, oil analysis will tell the tale.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
The TBN that matters is the TBN remaining when the oil is worn out and due for a change. Better additives make the TBN last longer, so it will not be as high when new. Again, oil analysis will tell the tale.

I think you're spot on there. There are plenty of HDEOs that now have no more TBN than a stout conventional PCMO like PYB. I can see the desire for wanting a high starting TBN, but the retention is what really matters.

Looks like it will be Conoco/Phillips Fleet Supreme EC cj4.

Kind of a low starting tbn but we get oil analysis thru the distributor

thanks one and all for the support and suggestions

jim

That's easy. Taxes, taxes, taxes and more taxes. Kalifornia adopted Cap and Trade which raises taxes dramatically on anything they can dream up when it concerns oil, gas or anything else they don't like.

Your distributor may just be an idiot, or greedy, which I doubt, but the taxes there in Kalifornia could very possibly be the reason they are doing what they are doing.

Which is? Trying to stay in business. You might want to try another distributor that is a little more sound financially. At least for the time being. It won't last long.

Originally Posted By: Trvlr500

That's easy. Taxes, taxes, taxes and more taxes. Kalifornia adopted Cap and Trade which raises taxes dramatically on anything they can dream up when it concerns oil, gas or anything else they don't like.

Your distributor may just be an idiot, or greedy, which I doubt, but the taxes there in Kalifornia could very possibly be the reason they are doing what they are doing.

Which is? Trying to stay in business. You might want to try another distributor that is a little more sound financially. At least for the time being. It won't last long.

It would seem to me that any distributor/dealer that sells oil in CA would all be equally subject to the same taxes, regardless of how high they are. Therefore, that does not explain the uber-high costs and unwillingness of the JD dealer to help out the OP.

I would ask that you also not tread so dangerously close to political rants ...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: Trvlr500

It would seem to me that any distributor/dealer that sells oil in CA would all be equally subject to the same taxes, regardless of how high they are. Therefore, that does not explain the uber-high costs and unwillingness of the JD dealer to help out the OP.

I would ask that you also not tread so dangerously close to political rants ...

My point was that taxes raise the cost of doing business. If one distributor is in better financial shape, buys in larger quantities or carries less debt to run their business they can deal with tax increases better than a business that has a lot of debt or other financial problems.

The distributor the OP has been dealing with may not be in a position to handle the newer tax burdens.

Originally Posted By: mead

jim

Is Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel being run in the vehicles you service? If so, the lower starting TBN should not be as much of an issue as it would have been with the 500ppm diesel fuel of 5 years ago.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: mead

jim

Is Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel being run in the vehicles you service? If so, the lower starting TBN should not be as much of an issue as it would have been with the 500ppm diesel fuel of 5 years ago.

AFAIK low sulfur diesel is all that is available in my area

the oil was the one recommended by the distributor and he said that all of the old spec oil was being phased out

most of the trucks that this oil will go in do not have dpf but a few do

I could not get the rest of the boys to buy off on the 10/30 so I got a pail or so for me and a pail of 5/40 for the liberty and a drum of 15/40 for the shop

National Petroleum in SD is good to work with

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back