John Deere 717A hydro change

I have a JD 717A zero turn, which uses 15W-40 engine oil for the hydraulics. Should the oil be warm or cool when changing the fluid and filter? Does it matter? Thanks

I would say warm for the same reason we believe in draining engine oil when it is warm. Flows better and drains more completely.

I'd say warm because if it's like the 757 or 777 it takes forever to drain. I also recommend removing the tank and washing it out as a normal drain doesn't get all of the fluid out.

I'd say warm because if it's like the 757 or 777 it takes forever to drain. I also recommend removing the tank and washing it out as a normal drain doesn't get all of the fluid out.
Thanks. What would be the best thing to flush out the tank with after removing it? I do have a half gallon of an older API rated oil that I wasn't going to use to refill with. That should be okay to use for a flush before refilling, don't you think?

Thanks. What would be the best thing to flush out the tank with after removing it? I do have a half gallon of an older API rated oil that I wasn't going to use to refill with. That should be okay to use for a flush before refilling, don't you think?
That would probably be fine. I believe I used diesel when I did my 757 a few years ago.

I suspect everything is going to be pretty spotless in the whole system if its been running diesel oil, but I guess a flush wouldn't hurt. I would drain quite warm too, to drain as much as possible.

Back