Jimmy Dean sausage

Salt actually cooks into food so salting before cooking makes a definite difference. Pepper does not cook into food. Pepper should be left out and made available at the table for those who want to mask and ruin the good taste of the actual food while leaving the food not ruined for those who prefer the actual food.
What a load of bologna!!!

What a load of bologna!!!
I'm not sure what he means by pepper not cooking into food but salt will not change the way food tastes (unless you use way too much), it enhances the taste to where pepper adds flavor which is what I don't know what he means, if it doesn't cook into food then how does it work.

Last edited:
My mother thinks there is no other sausage like JD but the one time I bought it because it was all that WM had left, our family didn't care for the taste at all. Seemed like it tasted "old" and it also left a large amount of grease in the pan after cooking. We've always bought the other big brand in our area - Tennessee Pride. It's generic tasting but never bad, very little grease leftover after cooking. Wish we had one of the good boutique butcher shops around here.
It has gotten much greasier and taste has gone downhill bad. Definitely not the same.

I buy and like the frozen cheese and sausage JD biscuits. Quick bite while running out the door. Beats nothing for breakfast. Have ever tried cutting summer sausage into patties and frying them up with some eggs. I say pretty yummy.

I’ll have to look it up next time I’m in KC. I just know The business was sold in the early 80s to a company from Chicago, but cannot remember the name.
You may find it at Dillons stores, like in Pittsburg, KS. I have found Rice's Sausage as far west as the Dillons at Hays, KS. We try to remember to take 5 lbs or so to relatives in Colorado. Their Dad worked at the RB Rice plant and it is their favorite sausage. They can't find it in Colorado, either.

You may find it at Dillons stores, like in Pittsburg, KS. I have found Rice's Sausage as far west as the Dillons at Hays, KS. We try to remember to take 5 lbs or so to relatives in Colorado. Their Dad worked at the RB Rice plant and it is their favorite sausage. They can't find it in Colorado, either.
I wonder if it is as good as it used to be. My father drove for them before driving for Jimmy Dean. He used to bring tons of it home. Was always good back then. depending on when they worked there, they may know my father.

I wonder if it is as good as it used to be. My father drove for them before driving for Jimmy Dean. He used to bring tons of it home. Was always good back then. depending on when they worked there, they may know my father.
I think it would have been before the 1980's and 1990's, at the latest. PM me and I can share the family last name with you.

We think it is superior to most other sausages today. We also like Oldham's sausage made in Holton, KS, too. They have been bought out by Conagra and the plant in Holton also makes Johnsonville products today. Don't see Oldham's sausage as much as we used to in the stores.

Wife hated it, Farmer John is all she buys. ;)
1657916722514.jpg

I had a patty on a English Muffin this morning. It was real good considering it had been in the freezer for a couple months. I quit buying JD when RB Rice became available at WalMart. It was not greasy and does not have the vinegar smell that JD regular has. Since Tyson took over JD it has more fat and ground finer. I have had a couple rolls that after cooked, had a mealy texture from the ultra fine grind. Also the RB Rice doesn't overcook/burn nearly as quick as the JD.

I think it would have been before the 1980's and 1990's, at the latest. PM me and I can share the family last name with you.

We think it is superior to most other sausages today. We also like Oldham's sausage made in Holton, KS, too. They have been bought out by Conagra and the plant in Holton also makes Johnsonville products today. Don't see Oldham's sausage as much as we used to in the stores.
HyVee also has the RB Rice medium, but they are $1.50 higher than WalMart. Any HyVee can get it for you as long as there are not territorial restrictions in your area.

As a Northerner, sausage was never a big hit in my family because of my father's choices. After he passed, I gradually began to use more, and usually it was Bob Evans....primarily for breakfast. JD will do in a pinch. These two are the only ones easily available to me locally, and more than these I usually do not need.

It’s one of my last choices. Neese’s, Gunnoes, Tennessee Pride are my first choices. Dang now you got me wanting sausage lol. I especially like sausage with extra sage. Jimmy Dean has went down hill a lot over the last few years. Though it’s better than the hotel breakfast sausage I ate yesterday.

I'm not sure what he means by pepper not cooking into food but salt will not change the way food tastes (unless you use way too much), it enhances the taste to where pepper adds flavor which is what I don't know what he means, if it doesn't cook into food then how does it work.
Food salted before cooking has the salt, like most other spices, cook into the food and flavors the food as it cooks. And salt does change the way food tastes, just like garlic, basil and any number of others. Not the same as just added at the table. Pepper does not do that. It is just there and no different if added prior to cooking or at the table prior to eating.

My first shotgun, an 870 in 28 gauge, came from a store in Pittsburgh, KS. 55 years ago. My parents bought it coming back from KC. I can't find the receipt anymore to remember the store. Later, my first wife's grandparents lived between Pittsburgh and Fort Scott. Had some great meal's at Chicken Mary's and Chicken Annie's.

This sausage was still good, date-wise. I bought it at the store also. My whole family tried it and it was horrible. Poor people at a food pantry didn't want it either, they all made nasty faces and said it tasted like crap. I like eating sausage with breakfast occasionally, so it's not that I don't like sausage.

I’ve never known anyone who didn’t like Jimmy Dean sausage. Although I have noticed that Jimmy Dean sausage tends to dry out as you cook it. Out of the large national brands, Owens sausage taste better than Jimmy Dean and doesn’t dry out as you cook it. JD is still fine though.

Back