Jetta Coolant Hose Debacle

So here we are back on grandmothers Jetta ('16 1.4T). What I thought was a very leaky water pump turns out to be a leaky coolant hose going into the transmission cooler.

NyMIuly.jpg

This is definitely a better scenario, however the dealer cannot locate the part at all... I was going to replace the hose and both tension clamps, but it looks like I'm going to have to do something else.

Question for you all, would you just take off the tension clamp and go with a regular hose clamp? This thing leaks pretty good after getting the engine warm (up and over the mountain). I know some people have put a thin layer of silicone (ultra black or the like) around the barb and then slide the hose on with a clamp.

i had this problem on an old diesel jetta, but it was the engine oil cooler hose. we got a straight piece of hose and made it fit, but there's no sharp turns in this hoses path. you could try silicone on the fitting, it's worked for me before.

The clamp looks perfect there, it can be reused.

I assume it is leaking where the hose in the front attaches to the cooler. Remove the hose and check the cooler nipple for corrosion.

Yea, when I took the battery out and found that hose there was a drip right on the hose. It will also leak coolant all over the garage floor. Coolant shows no sign of ATF intrusion. Cannot check the ATF in the transmission itself as it's a sealed unit. However, you can definitely see the coolant all over.

I'll have to see if I can find that 80019 sealant!

What is the other end of the hose connected to? Is that a pump or thermostat?

It's a thermostat from what I've found. Unfortunately the end of that hose is a different diameter or I would have just gone to the FLAP and got some new heater hose.

I realize this doesn't help, but this ebay ad has a package of used coolant/heater hoses for that era Jetta. One of them is what you need (except new and not leaking). However, I can't seem to verify which one it is in the VW system. Lunch hour is over so I may look again later. Good luck. Know that the hose isn't available as a single, its an assembly.
1677608390874.jpg

many times things are sold as a unit $$$ lots of VW aftermarket support + ALL trannies are checkable one way or the other!! this is a great forum but specific forums like VWVortex.com have MANY more members + check out your model specific section, good luck

I had a situation similar to yours' and here's what I did. I had a leaking hose on my motorcycle, and the local dealer was of no help getting a new hose. So I went to the local advanced auto parts store to see what they had. They didn't have a new hose to fit but, they had a repair kit for leaking hoses. The kit was a universal one that came with 2 screw type clamps, and a tube of rubber cement. I had nothing to loose so I tried it. Tossed the spring clamp, and pulled the hose off and made sure the barb was clean. Smeared some of the rubber cement on the barb and pushed the hose on, and used one of the new clamps that came in the kit. I topped the antifreeze off and let it sit for an hour. I ran it for about an hour to get it hot and get the pressure up, then checked for leaks. Dry as a bone. For less than $10, problem solved.,,

So even a trip back to the dealer (had to take the Subaru in, they're a VW dealer as well in the same building) the best solution in the mean time is to do as @Trav suggested. I found a Carquest that had the 80019 Permatex sealant and a couple clamps. I'll clean everything up real good and try it out. Thanks for all the suggestions so far folks!

Last edited:
I would use constant tension spring clamps on coolant hoses. Screw clamps need to be repeatedly tightened as the rubber yields over time.

So a little update. Got the car back to the house and did the repair. I thought there wasn't gonna be much coolant spill as there was, but wow what a mess. Ran and grabbed another gallon of coolant in case.

Only picture I have of the mess...

bQgtJm9.jpg

I did wind up having to use a regular hose clamp as the original constant tension clamp did not feel very springy anymore as odd as it seems. I put the 80019 sealant on the hose barb and let it set a little bit while I cleaned up the underside of the car. Even removed the plastic shield and scrubbed all the oil and dirt off of it. Assembled the hose and filled with coolant. What a battle getting the air to purge out. Reset a couple things since the battery was out and took off for a test drive. Not even a mile from the house the high temp coolant light came on (no gauge) and I quickly pulled into a parking lot. It cleared out almost as soon as it came on, but I went back to the house and topped it off. Heat would blow ok driving, but not at idle. Idled the car a little bit more and set off to fill the car with gas (low fuel light was on, thanks gma, lol). Had the heat blasting the entire time and it was finally getting nice and hot. Drove back home for another coolant top-off. Drove back to her house which is up and over the mountain and the heat was constant. Topped off the coolant before putting it in the garage. I'm sure there might be some air still in it that has to work its way out. I really need a vacuum fill tool, but I don't use something like that to really justify the cost.

I am happy to report that it does not seem to be leaking now. We'll see how long it last, the hose seemed a little soft.

I actually like tension clamps.
Right on. They are engineered to maintain constant tension,and I have never had one go bad. Don't know why so many people replace them with screw clamps, which aren't near as precise and are notorious for crushing the life out of a hose.

For weird molded hoses I always take the old one and match them up to what the parts house has in stock.

They usually have one (or part of one) that will work.

Back