Jeep Wrangler 3.0L Diesel

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Is this the same engine in the Ram 1500?

Yes.

I did some googling a while back because the wife and I are somewhat interested. The only brand that came up with the spec was Valvoline of all things. This thread certainly proves that to be wrong.. As odd as it sounds, only one oil option would annoy me.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Is this the same engine in the Ram 1500?

Yes.

I did some googling a while back because the wife and I are somewhat interested. The only brand that came up with the spec was Valvoline of all things. This thread certainly proves that to be wrong.. As odd as it sounds, only one oil option would annoy me.

On a Jeep forum I frequent some guys did some digging and there are actually a few options that specifically meet MS-12991.

I didn't verify these myself, but here's the list:

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
Ravenol 5W-40 VST
Valvoline 5W-40 MST SynPower
Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
Redline Full Synthetic 5W-40

The RAM 1500 EcoDiesel oil spec was changed to Rotella T6 5w40 or CJ-4 5w40 Synthetic. Here's a couple of UOA's of HDEO's from my 2015. I'd use a CK-4 HDEO if I were you. Anything from 10w30 to 15w40.

20191121_154615.jpg

Originally Posted by HighbrowHillbill
Oil changes will be with Mobil Delvac ESP 5W-40. It's in the API SN category and I'm willing to bet since Mopar is semi-sorta tied in to Rotella Mobil said "screw that, we aren't testing to prove that we meet MS-12991." div>

Not that anyone cares, but I just got an email about my rebates, and with some other promotion Mobil is running, I got an extra $45 back. So it comes out to $13.57 a gallon, pretty fair deal IMO.

I'm not sure it makes sense to try and save money 'getting an oil deal' and then turn around and waste money on non extended drain oil oil analysis, but so be it (I'll run extended drains if the numbers pan out). But I guess I'm more curious to see how the oil change indicator and the UOAs jive with each other.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it makes sense to try and save money 'getting an oil deal' and then turn around and waste money on non extended drain oil oil analysis, but so be it (I'll run extended drains if the numbers pan out). But I guess I'm more curious to see how the oil change indicator and the UOAs jive with each other.
What does your warranty say about that and what are you defining as "extended drains"?

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
What does your warranty say about that and what are you defining as "extended drains"?

Manual says:
Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or 12 months, whichever comes first.

What I would consider extended drains is anything beyond the point where the OLM says 'times up', or beyond 10,000 miles.

I plan on some sort of bypass filtration if I can fit it somewhere. But as I think I mentioned earlier, fuel dilution may put the kibosh on the whole thing.

Manual says:
Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or 12 months, whichever comes first.

What I would consider extended drains is anything beyond the point where the OLM says 'times up', or beyond 10,000 miles.

I plan on some sort of bypass filtration if I can fit it somewhere. But as I think I mentioned earlier, fuel dilution may put the kibosh on the whole thing.

If this engine has a 7th injector for the DPF regens, then fuel dilution should not be an issue. But given the cost of anything associated with a diesel is $$$, I would buy the extended warranty (not sure if they offer the 7 year unlimited mileage MaxCare for the diesel like I bought for my 3.6L) and follow the service schedules to keep the warranty intact.

FCA couldn't sell the '19 model year truck with the 3.0 diesel so now you can get one at $20,000 off sticker price. Some poor schmuck went and paid $47,000 for his truck three months ago and now you can go buy the same truck for $27,000.

I'd be mad as [censored] if I was that schmuck because my truck just lost over half its value. Lots of problems with this 3.0, until this engine proves itself reliable I would not buy one and if I did I would wait till the end of year sale because I keep my cars till they get 250k miles or more. One great thing about Calif. is its lemon law, I know several people that made the dealer buy back a lemon vehicle.

Good Luck,
Rod

Manual says:

If this engine has a 7th injector for the DPF regens, then fuel dilution should not be an issue. But given the cost of anything associated with a diesel is $$$, I would buy the extended warranty (not sure if they offer the 7 year unlimited mileage MaxCare for the diesel like I bought for my 3.6L) and follow the service schedules to keep the warranty intact.

Ecodiesel does not use a 7th injector, it uses "post injection", on the exhaust stroke it fires the injectors to put fuel into the exhaust to regenerate the DPF.

I've never had a fuel dilution issue.

Initially my jeep had 10,000 mile oil life monitor, I never go that far, then subsequent software revisions have taken it down to 6,000 miles. I've used CJ-4 5W40, or 10W30 oil since day one looking at how weak the additive was in euro diesel oils were.

Definitely recommend adding Maxcare, you can buy it online cheaper than what the dealership's offer.

Not sure why using a non-compliant spec engine oil on a brand new in warranty "expensive" vehicle.
But, as always, your decision.
A member of another forum recently asked me about a point in the 3.0L Wrangler Diesel Supplement Manual and I snapped a couple pictures for him. It brought to mind this gem of a post from Danno, and I figured I'd come back and straighten him out and anyone else who might look at this topic in the future.

We'll go ahead and put to bed the misinformation that a 5W-40 API SN oil is 'non-compliant'. Recommends is the operative word here. Saying a 5W-40 low ash diesel formulated oil is non-compliant would be similar to focusing on the paragraph where they specifically recommend you use Mopar or Pennzoil Platinum Euro. No other MS-12991 spec oils are listed, but that doesn't mean they are lesser oils. MS-12991 is a recommendation....

20210413_175616.jpg

20210413_182844.jpg

Back