Jeep sudden acceleration accident at auction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: ksp7498
That's another good point. This board tends to have an automatic kneejerk against anything computer controlled, but I think electronic throttles are probably actually safer because old style throttle cables and rods can (and did) stick. I knew someone that had the throttle cable stick in a late 80's oldsmobile. She hit a tree and knocked out her front teeth on the steering wheel. Lucky it wasn't worse.

Yup, I've had the linkage on an SBC fetch up a few times; certainly far more than I've ever had an electronic throttle go WOT on me (zero times).

On my Lincoln(LS), if the ECU detects any sort of fault in the throttle body it automatically kicks into "limp home mode" by reducing fuel delivery and even shutting down cylinders. There's a known issue where failing ignition coils can send off stray RF that makes the car THINK there's a problem in the throttle body, and it can be a bit disconcerting when you're trying to merge and the car decides to cut power.

It will also cut fuel delivery if the throttle butterfly is much past the idle position and the brakes are pressed.

I know these features are present in that car, and it wouldn't surprise me if other electronic throttle cars have them too.

With that said, if the car truly is out of control this is one area where familiarity with a manual transmission could make a big difference(provided you have enough time to react). If a manual is going out of control, I'd guess most drivers are going to stomp on the clutch and/or yank it into neutral while also braking. Putting an automatic in neutral is probably the safest option also, but I've know folks who have only driven automatics who don't even know what neutral means, much less how to put their car in it. I've had the "deer in the headlights" look when I told them that it's the position that says "N" between "R" and "D." Even if going into neutral causes sustained over-revving and the engine throws a rod or otherwise grenades, I'd still take that over crashing.

I had an 02 Envoy that would go into "Reduced Engine Power" if it detected any problems with the electronic throttle body or anything related (including certain code setting criteria) and would give you just enough power to limp it to the auto part store or your house or shop or whatever. I'm pretty sure all vehicles with electronic throttle control are like this.

On the other hand, I had a 98 Silverado that got stuck in full throttle due to (my) incorrect re-attachment of the throttle cable.

Either way, putting it in neutral, shutting off the key, and braking, will stop the vehicle. That's what I did in the above situation.

If you can't figure that out you shouldn't be driving. Before you tell me if you shut off the engine you won't have power brakes, well, you should have enough engine vacuum left to use the brakes once after the engine is turned off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe

If you can't figure that out you shouldn't be driving. Before you tell me if you shut off the engine you won't have power brakes, well, you should have enough engine vacuum left to use the brakes once after the engine is turned off.

Even if you make multiple applications(I find most cars are good for two, and sometimes even part of a third) and use up your residual vacuum, you can still brake. Yes, it might feel like you're going to break something and you might have to stand on the pedal, but it will brake. I have a car with no power assist at all-admittedly it's lightweight and the pedal geometries/ratios on cars without assist are better set up, but it's still fairly firm and takes a decent amount of force to press. It took me a bit of driving to get use to the lack of power brakes, although I don't really notice it now.

Also, again for a car set up with power steering, steering is difficult but it's a lot easier when the car is moving and can be done. The only thing you want to be sure you don't do is turn the key so far off that the wheel locks.

On every vehicle I drive regularly, I have found an empty parking lot and done controlled maneuvers and stops with the engine off. I want to know what to expect if I experience that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just FYI, the article was updated to say:

Quote:
A 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, driven by a man in his 70s,

His age points more to driver error IMHO. Particularly given that he targeted people which shows poor judgement.

That's another good point. This board tends to have an automatic kneejerk against anything computer controlled, but I think electronic throttles are probably actually safer because old style throttle cables and rods can (and did) stick. I knew someone that had the throttle cable stick in a late 80's oldsmobile. She hit a tree and knocked out her front teeth on the steering wheel. Lucky it wasn't worse.

+1

Yep-computer controlled is safer than linkage. And yeS-computer controlled/new tech phobia rampant on BITOG.

Quote:
Previous Jeep Cherokee models have been recalled due to acceleration issues, however it is not clear if the model was impacted by those recalls.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/05/03/billerica-car-auction-crash-lynnway-auto-auction/

Quote:
Jeeps seem to have acquired an especially fearsome reputation among car wash operators, like Dan of Palmyra, Pa.

"My family has owned and operated automatic car washes for nearly 50 years. Over the past 10 years, we have had half a dozen incidents with Jeep Grand Cherokees accelerating out of control," Dan said in a 2011 ConsumerAffairs posting. "Every time it has happened, our employees have maintained that the vehicle took off on them and they could not stop it. The first few times it happened, we assumed it was driver error but not anymore. There is case after case of this happening and nobody at Chrysler will do anything about it.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/jeep-recalls

electronic throttles do goof up even if infrequently. Toyota lost quite a few lawsuits on that (separate from weather mat issues) after it was recreated in a lab. i wouldn't automatically blame it all on the driver, even if he was elderly.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Quote:
Previous Jeep Cherokee models have been recalled due to acceleration issues, however it is not clear if the model was impacted by those recalls.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/05/03/billerica-car-auction-crash-lynnway-auto-auction/

Quote:
Jeeps seem to have acquired an especially fearsome reputation among car wash operators, like Dan of Palmyra, Pa.

"My family has owned and operated automatic car washes for nearly 50 years. Over the past 10 years, we have had half a dozen incidents with Jeep Grand Cherokees accelerating out of control," Dan said in a 2011 ConsumerAffairs posting. "Every time it has happened, our employees have maintained that the vehicle took off on them and they could not stop it. The first few times it happened, we assumed it was driver error but not anymore. There is case after case of this happening and nobody at Chrysler will do anything about it.

electronic throttles do goof up even if infrequently. Toyota lost quite a few lawsuits on that (separate from weather mat issues) after it was recreated in a lab. i wouldn't automatically blame it all on the driver, even if he was elderly.

If he steered away from vehicles and into the croud, he's to blame.

The case that initiated the Audi investigation was a mother who insisted she floored the brake pedal. Years later she admitted that she couldn't deal with the death of her child and she mistakenly floored the throttle.
Then there was a flurry of unintended acceleration insurance claims of any brand, model.
No reports of unintended acceleration in Europe.
Brake and gas pedals moved farther apart.
Terrible tragedy. If only he had his left foot on the brake. Here's a guy driving various vehicles, probably pressure to keep the auction moving, panic.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel

It certainly is easy to play the armchair quarterback. Without actually being there and knowing everything that happened, I'm impressed that you have knowledge of the entire situation and are able to pass judgement before the authorities are even finished with the investigation.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

It certainly is easy to play the armchair quarterback. Without actually being there and knowing everything that happened, I'm impressed that you have knowledge of the entire situation and are able to pass judgement before the authorities are even finished with the investigation.

I'm not saying that driving into the crowd was the correct thing to do-in fact far from it.

At the same time, if I'm driving a seemingly out of control car and I see two paths-a solid barrier(i.e. a line of cars) and a bunch of people, I might think that the people would move out of my way.

Think of a typical road situation that you might have come up on where you're traveling a decent speed and see a stopped car ahead of you. You hit the brakes and try to stop but realize you aren't going to-a proper action in that case would probably be to swerve into the shoulder if at all possible. If there were a pedestrian there, I can guess that I'd probably have enough "tunnel vision" to not notice them.

I'm not saying this is the same situation(esp. with regard to a single pedestrian vs. a crowd) but just something to think about.

Again, I'm NOT trying to justify his action, just giving a possible line of reasoning that could lead to the action.

Something else to consider is that the car was moving fast enough to take out a brick wall. Chances are, if he'd plowed into the cars in front of him he'd have sent out a cloud of shrapnel and maybe sent other cars flying. That situation could have hurt a LOT more people than driving through the crowd did. Obviously either is terrible, but at the same time we have no way of knowing what the outcome would have been in terms of casualties if he'd gone into the cars.

I too think we are judging the driver very quickly. We weren't there, we have never experienced this. Any car in 1st gear has some "launch" to it. The 3.7 WK moves quickly in first, and if it has the 4.7, very quickly. This happens in a small, enclosed space, and with a driver who's not expecting it, so he also has to wake up. Now, if I'm unexpectedly careening suddenly like a pinball coming out of the launch tube, I'm not sure if I could make evaluations on ethics and how many lives at stake and what are my odds... I'm probably thinking.... "wh??????" because the senses are overwhelmed and trying to avoid the first things I see, then getting confused as I see I've veered towards people, trying to re-calculate those new factors and now as I decide a new objective I'm already through the wall. This all happened in what.... 3 seconds?

My family had an 84 vanagon with aftermarket cruise. The throttle linkage from the cruise, when first installed, under certain conditions, would bind with the throttle open. Thankfully we only used the cruise in 4th gear on the hwy. When I first experienced this, it literally took 3-4 seconds to realize what was happening. "wait, are we going faster?" check senses - eyes- speed says yes, ears, engine says yes, check eyes again, confirmed. being a VW, 3-4 seconds didn't amount to a whole lot, and we'd just turn the key off to decel, on to accel, off to decel, until we could pull over safely. The 2nd and third time it happened, we were ready for it and handled it without alarm. But the first time, it is confusing because it is not expected.

When these things happen for real, it's very different than reading about someone else's misfortune.

-m

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

See above for my knowledge of the investigation.

Originally Posted By: CKN

+1

Yep-computer controlled is safer than linkage. And yeS-computer controlled/new tech phobia rampant on BITOG.

As much a fan of technology as I am, I'm going to disagree.

There is no need to use a servomotor setup to control something a few feet away. For large aircraft, yes. And they have much more sophisticated systems with multiple redundancies. In my opinion these automotive electronic throttle controls are cheap poorly designed and not well thought out offering no advantage over a simple cable.

You can't compare a sticking mechanical throttle to a potentiometer that can short or open circuit, causing a step increase. Someone who punches a mechanical throttle feels like they're in a safe spot to do so. A mechanical linkage cannot go WOT or increase position at all without human interaction.

I hate the setup on my mustang. It has a huge dead spot off idle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This is a 2007 Grand Cherokee:
2007-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee.jpg

And this pic from the accident appears to match:
18221625-10209176955002465-6606561801769143708-n-1493826102.jpg

and all 3 engines us a throttle cable which I dont see how it could be hung up, I have a 4.7 in my Jeep.

This is another Media Drive by story where the reporters are too lazy get facts, but then again most news people are pretty stupid when it comes to anything automotive. You would think they could at least get the make and model and maybe the engine correct, but that takes an ounce of brains to ask that kind of question whe creating a report!

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Quote:

Quote:

ahh the 3 engines 3.7, 4.7 and 5.7 use a simple throttle cable, which has a spring, so cam forward and a spring will automatically pull and close the throttle, fool proof design which would prevent a stuck accelerator.

I well aware of the design since I have one and to remove the TB to clean one has a very difficult time opening the TB wide open to pull the cable detent.

I would chalk this up to someone who pushed the throttle dowwn and got a blond moment.

Of course the lawyers will go after FCA since they have the most money.

There is a requirement when designing any control mechanism (by "mechanism" we are not implying mechanical-only systems) that if "fail safe". If you buy an electronic door lock in the US or Canada, unless you have special security authorization (prisons will be certified, for example) it must by law fail open (for fire safety; the security authorized installation may require it fail closed, but these locks are not available to the general public).

Even in a prison setting, a large percentage of electronically controlled locks will fail open. The alternative type will only be used where absolutely necessary. Alternately, if the project is a hotel, the locks must fail open.

Similarly the onus on an automaker is to test and design all conceivable failure modes so that acceleration is not the result and control loss is not the unintended consequence.

That leaves us with two possible outcomes ... either the automaker has failed at his job protecting the operator, passengers and the general public, or the operator themselves are the cause of the unfortunate consequence.

This is even more critical as we move to the automated driving technology. There is no room for error here ... the automaker *MUST* build systems in such a way that this kind of tragic result is not the fault of the equipment or any component of a system failing.

There is only one small problem with this particular instance, and that is often some newsworthy event causes a cascading set of solutions that are emotional reactions rather than reasoned solutions. Passing of laws (for example) that themselves have unintended consequences because of hasty decisions by advocates, the public, and lawmakers is a real problem. Sober second thought, which often requires a time period to elapse before any legislation is proposed, is always preferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back