Jeep Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering how reliable the jeep patriot is. My wife is looking for a new car and we test drove one last night and she really really liked it.

However, the deals on used patriots are pretty good. I want the lifetime powertrain warranty but that is only on the new patriots. We saw quite a few 2wd models with under 30,000 miles for about $13k. New they are going for 19-22k. I just can't see spending another 7k for the power train warranty.

Bottom line, are these good trucks and do they really get 23mpg (2wd)

Judging by the vehicles in your signature, it looks like you're a Jeep fan. Given that, I'd recommend against the Patriot.

I also seem to remember the Patriot was on some list of the 11 or so *worst* cars in America or something. I wonder if I can still dig that up...

As for reliability, I wouldn't bet on it. Recent Chrysler vehicles have been fairly poor in that regard, and the company as a whole is of course even worse off...

Also looking at his sig, I would like to see him checking out the dodge nitro or the Jeep's version. At least it's got a nice v6 and RWD. Calling the Patriot a Jeep is like calling the import 1980s Chevy Novas...Chevy Novas. You only do so because you have to.

The Nitro was on the same "worst" list where I saw the Patriot, IIRC. A friend of mine who's very passionate about Jeeps drove one and couldn't stand it.

Also, I definitely wouldn't want RWD in a Nitro. That seems to be asking for trouble.

The Nitro is based on the Liberty.

I think they look neat for a daily driver. They remind me of the old Surrey Jeeps (DJ3;2WD). The 2.4L world engine isn't bad. I'd have to test drive one to see if I liked it.

I bought a 2009 Patriot and like it fine. I got a 5-speed, don't like the CVT at all.
The Patriot has good ratings for reliability, and mine gets 28 mpg on the highway.
It's not a hardcore offroad vehicle for sure, but it's very good in snow and ice.
Faster than the Liberty, and to me, looks better.
Depends on what you want, but if you want more of an offroad behicle, there are better ones out there than this or the Liberty.

BTW the new Liberty is based on the Nitro, not the other way around, and it rates several slots lower than the Patriot on a list of SUV ratings.
Not that lists mean much, the XJ Cherokee was never rated very highly, yet my 96 has been totally reliable, not to mention fun.

I am a jeep fan and did the whole lifted wrangler thing but this would be for my wife. She has a daily commute of roughly 35 miles round trip to work. She really likes the fuel economy of the patriot as well as the space.

I am looking for the most reliable small suv for the money (12-15k) I would like 4wd and under 45,000 miles but I would also like to give my wife what she wants.

Originally Posted By: D189379
I love how one post says it's reliable and another says they're junk.

WHICH ONE IS IT??? WE MAY NEVER KNOW!!!!! LOL. Welcome to the internet....

That's what makes this board so good. I read through the opinions and it certainly helps in making a decision.

I have an 08 Liberty and my wife and I love it. I don't have much faith in the Lifetime Warranty, even in 07 when I bought the Liberty. It was a sales tool, and something to generate income for the shop when the 5 year check up comes around. I've mentioned that in other threads.

We've had no problems with ours, and if Chrylser Jeep division gets through this financial horror show, I'd probably buy another, maybe in 2011. JMO

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Depends on what you want, but if you want more of an offroad behicle, there are better ones out there than this or the Liberty.

If you don't want an off-road vehicle, what other reason is there to buy an SUV?

BTW the new Liberty is based on the Nitro, not the other way around

My sources:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/GeneralFuture/articleId=116919
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/dodge/nitro.html

Those are for previous model years, though. Is it the other way around now?

I don't see the point in them in front wheel drive only format, but if 4wd is needed, why not. This is a well used Chrysler platform so there's a ton of them on the road. The Jatco CVT is also used by Nissan, so there's a ton of those around too. Keep in mind there's a lot to be had in the small 4wd segment.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I have an 08 Liberty and my wife and I love it...

We've had no problems with ours, and if Chrylser Jeep division gets through this financial horror show, I'd probably buy another, maybe in 2011. JMO

If I ever decide I want an SUV that's a little softer than my XJ, I'd probably go for a new Liberty. IIRC, they're available with a 6-speed standard transmission as well, which is a must, for me.

The new Liberty seems to be a lot different from the old one. Has it been heavily revised under the skin?

Last edited:
I think the Patriot is a decent vehicle. I think it fits the bill for people who need the utility of an SUV, but don't require the off road capability that a body on frame SUV provides.

I also think the FWD is smart for areas that see light snow in the winters. If you are able to get around with a FWD car as I am, why haul around all the extra weight and have the extra powertrain complexities that come with a 4wd setup?

I don't like the plasticy interior of the Patriot, and I am nervous about all CVTs. It will be interesting to see how they hold up when these vehicles (and the Nissans) have 60k+ on them.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

If you don't want an off-road vehicle, what other reason is there to buy an SUV?

BTW the new Liberty is based on the Nitro, not the other way around

My sources:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/GeneralFuture/articleId=116919
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/dodge/nitro.html

Those are for previous model years, though. Is it the other way around now?

A. How many people who have SUV's go offroad? It's a small percentage. The Liberty is underpowered and clumsy compared to Nissan Xterra, Toyota FJ Cruiser, etc. But it's a Jeep and it that's what you want, that's what you want.
The Patriot competes with the likes of Subaru Forester, etc, and is good for people who want all-wheel drive (with the option of being able to lock all 4 wheels for deep snow, etc.)for ice and snow, and for going off the pavement a little.
It also doesn't hurt to get 23-28 mog.
I don't like the CVT myself, I always like a manual transmission.
As for reliability, not that I care much what Consumer Reports says, but they do say it's above average.
Most of the people on the Jeep Patriot Forum really like theirs and haven't been complaining about reliability very much. Of course, it's only been out for 3 years, so it may remain to be seen how they last.
I like mine, as I said. It's very close in size and weight to the old Cherokee, and I drove it in some decent snow and slush and it handled as if it were on dry pavement.
It comes down to going and riving one and if you like it, fine, if not, also fine.

B. I'm not sure whether the Nitro was based on the new Liberty or the other way around, but the Nitro was out on the lots earlier.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
The new Liberty seems to be a lot different from the old one. Has it been heavily revised under the skin?

Same 3.7 liter engine, lot's of other stuff is different.
No manual tranny this year.

A. How many people who have SUV's go offroad? It's a small percentage.

Popularity doesn't make something correct or reasonable. I'd ask those folks the same question (and, incidentally, I'd expect a similarly evasive response).
wink.gif

I'm not talking about popularity.
The Patriot, and the entire "crossover" SUV market, is for people who don't care so much about going rock crawling or going far offroad, but want better traction and bad conditions capability, with the utility of an SUV body style. SUV, after all, means Sport Utility Vehicle. People want to carry stuff and not get stuck and/or slip and slide too much .
Big SUV's have their place, as do these small crossover type. I've driven a Cherokee for 13 years, and while I love it, it's rear wheel drive leaves a lot to be desired in rain, and on ice.
The Patriot (so far) has had no trouble with snow, ice or rain-slick roads.
Personally, when I go "offroad" I drive as far as whatever dirt road I'm taking feels passable, then I get out and hike. For me, driving out in the boonies is less attractive than walking.
Different vehicles for different perceived needs.

The model is really too new for good track record as components are new. However consumer reports shows above average reliability for 2007/2008. I would never buy this new but used seems like a good deal if it appeals to your wife(driver).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back