Jeep Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MarkC
I've driven a Cherokee for 13 years, and while I love it, it's rear wheel drive leaves a lot to be desired in rain, and on ice.

+1 I've driven my Cherokee only 20K miles since I bought it last year, but I agree, it's not a car for the inexperienced driver who wants something "good in snow." The rear end is happy to kick out on you even in the rain, if you're not careful. It will definitely get you where you want to go, but it's not what most people think it is.

Last edited:
A friend has a Compass and she is happy with it. I believe it is a 2007 model. It has been quite reliable so far; she probably has about 30,000 miles on it and I don't think she's had any problems. She likes it because she sits up higher than in a car and she likes the space, too. It's good for hauling her and her kid around town.

I've driven it a number of times and I've kind of grown to like it, too, much to my surprise. I'm not a huge fan of the CVT but, frankly, I don't really think about it much when I'm driving. It is far from the most refined vehicle in its class and I suspect resale value stinks but all in all, not a bad choice for suburban duties.

I believe the interiors on the Patriot / Compass were upgraded for 2009, which is a good thing.

I'm not talking about popularity.

Sorry, I was unclear. When I mentioned popularity, I was referring to the idea that an SUV is a reasonable vehicle even if you never take it off road. A lot of people seem to believe that, but that doesn't make it true or reasonable. That's what I was saying.

You say you take your Patriot off road sometimes. That makes the Patriot a sensible choice for you -- and, to be honest, I'm glad to see someone actually getting some use out of his crossover. All I'm saying is, if someone's going to drive on nothing but asphalt, that's a different story.

Last edited:
SUV's were the minivans ..for people who would vomit at that thought of driving a minivan.

I loved my minivan. :cofused:

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
You say you take your Patriot off road sometimes.

Can Patriot and off road be used in the same sentence?
28.gif

Just busting...

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I have an 08 Liberty and my wife and I love it...

We've had no problems with ours, and if Chrylser Jeep division gets through this financial horror show, I'd probably buy another, maybe in 2011. JMO

If I ever decide I want an SUV that's a little softer than my XJ, I'd probably go for a new Liberty. IIRC, they're available with a 6-speed standard transmission as well, which is a must, for me.

If you want a 6 speed MT you'll have to get an 08, they dropped the MT in 09. A big mistake. I'm waiting for 2011..............

If I ever decide I want an SUV that's a little softer than my XJ, I'd probably go for a new Liberty. IIRC, they're available with a 6-speed standard transmission as well, which is a must, for me.

If you're like me, it'll be a cold day in he// before you let go of your XJ.

But given that the 2nd-gen Liberty (KK) is much more of a suitable replacement for the XJ than the excessively-fluffy first-gen Liberty (KJ) was, I agree. If I *had* to get an XJ replacement right now, the KK tops the list and the Compass/Patriot isn't a contender.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
SUV's were the minivans ..for people who would vomit at that thought of driving a minivan.

I loved my minivan. :cofused:

Of course minivans are just station wagons for people who would vomit at the thought of driving a station wagon...
grin2.gif

The only thing I don't like about minivans is front-wheel drive, which is pretty much what rules the Patriot/Compass out for me. I hate FWD. I don't like AWDs that are based on transverse-engine FWD platforms. Mostly I hate working on an FWD vehicle, but I really don't care for the way they drive much either. But my wife loved her first car- an 84 Chevy Cavalier (don't even go there...) Then she loved her '93 Eagle Vision and now really loves her PT, so I guess I'll have at least one FWD around to vex me for many years to come

I don't like FWD either, or AWD for that matter, which is why we bought the Liberty. RWD can handle almost any driving conditions, especially with Traction control. Then when needed we can switch over to 4WD. I like the option to be able to turn the 4WD system on/off, and also have a low range 4WD feature which works well on some boat ramps. JMO

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
If you're like me, it'll be a cold day in he// before you let go of your XJ.

This is a very true. I have a much newer and "nicer" car that I basically don't even drive anymore since I bought the XJ. I love the thing so much.

If they still made them new, there's no doubt I'd buy a new one. I guess I'll just have to keep this one running forever. :)

This is a very true. I have a much newer and "nicer" car that I basically don't even drive anymore since I bought the XJ. I love the thing so much.

If they still made them new, there's no doubt I'd buy a new one. I guess I'll just have to keep this one running forever. :)

Good thing for us that keeping an XJ running forever is no great task...
grin2.gif

I still have my XJ, and no doubt it will last another 13 or 23 years, who knows.
The gripe I have with the new Liberty is that it weighs over 4000 lbs.
Everything gets bigger. This time without commensurate power increases.

The Liberty (for me) just needed a touch less Chevron Clamation (Techron commercial) art applied to it. I feel like the Stay-Puffed Marshmallow Man got say in the design too. It just looked too confining. I liked the concept ..but just couldn't get into the finished product. Economy sucked too compared to its like sized contemporaries.

You're talking about the older, *** Liberty, right?
The new one at least resembles an XJ, but the front end is ugly, in my opinion.
But why do they always have to make things bigger and heavier?

You're talking about the older, *** Liberty, right?
The new one at least resembles an XJ, but the front end is ugly, in my opinion.
But why do they always have to make things bigger and heavier?

Yeah ..I guess you're correct. That's how long it's been since I've even had newer stuff on my radar.

jeep_05liberty_angularfront_Regular.jpg

I still can't quite wrap around this grill here.

2008_liberty_front_34-thumb.jpg

Without too much tweaking, I found the Commander a decent offering. Untimely as heck, but not bad.

The weight thing is getting very annoying. Soon the safety clowns are going to have letter bombs sent to them filled with glitter (my wife did this to people on our holiday letter list - they often sent it back ..with other stuff swept up with it via a Dustbuster - 9-11 stopped the practice).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back