Jeep Madness - 2016 Grand Cherokee SRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good winter beater solution! What are you thinking for snow tires? I'd be tempted to get some smaller rims and higher profile tires to maximize the grip, but also give some more 4wd acceleration squirm. I like the feeling of all 4 tires pulling in the snow but just over the limits of grip.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Good winter beater solution! What are you thinking for snow tires? I'd be tempted to get some smaller rims and higher profile tires to maximize the grip, but also give some more 4wd acceleration squirm. I like the feeling of all 4 tires pulling in the snow but just over the limits of grip.

I'm thinking the same setup as the Durango, the 17" wheels (assuming they clear the brakes) and the Michelin Latitude Xice-XI2. What are your thoughts?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I'm thinking the same setup as the Durango, the 17" wheels (assuming they clear the brakes) and the Michelin Latitude Xice-XI2. What are your thoughts?

I like skinny and tall tires for winter, and especially with a stiff suspension setup, tires are a cheap way to get some compliance so the tires work a bit better when its slippery. Helps you come out of the corners more like this.

I also like winter tires to have a square or even jagged shoulder so when the slip angle increases they cut in more keeping the tread on the road surface instead of on top of the snow/slush. But that's more for backroad hoonigans than normal driving. The xice are probably a better tire overall though.

Well a wrench has been thrown in the mix on the snows, I have to run 20's to clear the Brembo's. Waiting for a call back from the dealer for my options. Looks like OEM replica 20" wheels with whatever snows are available in that size, hopefully the Michelin will be.

Well a wrench has been thrown in the mix on the snows, I have to run 20's to clear the Brembo's. Waiting for a call back from the dealer for my options. Looks like OEM replica 20" wheels with whatever snows are available in that size, hopefully the Michelin will be.

How much bigger overall diameter will fit? I'd still try for skinnier and taller but that's for my usage, I'm sure you'll get around fine on the regular sized tires.

How much bigger overall diameter will fit? I'd still try for skinnier and taller but that's for my usage, I'm sure you'll get around fine on the regular sized tires.

I don't really know, will have to check. I don't want to screw up the speedo too much either. Will update with my options once I hear back.

Tirerack has some pirelli performance winter tires for 320$ each.
And wheels starting at 200$

so 2000+ USD.

Size is
295/45-20

Discount tire has wheels starting at 165$
Tires are special order only.
and rebates of 320$+... Road trip?

maybe you could go with a 265/50r20
those start at about 180$ per tire.

So I've ordered some stock replica wheels with iPike tires, as the Michelins were not available in this size
frown.gif
Tires are 265's, so narrower than the stock 295's.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

It's just too bad for you guys in the rust belt. The bodies die before the engines.

I think cars are a lot better made these days in regards to rust prevention though. I remember when my mom bought a brand new 1981 Datsun 280 ZX and after just 2 or 3 Toronto winters it started to rust and needed to have bodywork and a repaint done. But fast forward to today and my 11 year old Honda Civic with zero rust protection (and I barely ever wash it and never wax it) shows zero signs of rust. I very rarely see rusty cars around here, even with all the salt they use on the roads. The only rusty cars I see are ones built in the 80s and 90s.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Nice Jeep, it's a shame it'll be full of rust in no time.

Not if he oil sprays it...My 17 year old Explorer is rust free

This thing is loud as all [censored]. It sounds so bloody horny it is wild! I can't get over the sound difference between it and the Charger, with the same engine. I'm not complaining, it sounds awesome, but it is far, FAR from subtle.

The GC SRT is one [censored] Jeep. My dad's 2013 Trailhawk has just the 5.7L and that thing has gobs of power. With a good set of tires they are unstoppable in snow.

Always liked the lines of the JGC - only downside is they always seem a little small inside for being a relatively big vehicle. If that works, then it works. And if you can get a deal that doesn't kill you with respect to depreciation on the old vehicle, then why not?

That one must be a hoot to drive. Wonder how it compares to the X5M or AMG ML.

Congrats on the vehicle. Love the color. Good luck with it!

So I've ordered some stock replica wheels with iPike tires, as the Michelins were not available in this size
frown.gif
Tires are 265's, so narrower than the stock 295's.

Which Im sure is better for snow and ice. 295 is pretty darn wide.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I still regret selling my 1988 M6.
But that's a nice Jeep!

Given the current value of that car, I'd be flogging myself with a fire hose.

But we all have our own regrets.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back