Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Interesting considering that they stopped making the GW long before you were born.

Then again you hate anything new.
Yep new= junk more times than one. I’ve fixed so many new cars in my time as a mechanic man you could not pay me to own one. They could of at least made it look nice.

I think most here know I’m not a fan of the brand but they have done a pretty nice job with this SUV. The grill is reminiscent of the Jeep grills from before but modernized to fit the front. The front is sleek looking. The rear does look blocky to me which contrasts with the front.

Interior wise, it’s very nice and elegant. The wood adds a nice touch. The seats look super comfortable. The Captains chairs are just as nice as the front. I’m not a fan of the seat back video screens but that’s me.

I know little about the power train.

For the segment they are competing in I think Stellantis has a winner here.
Looks good, interior is good. But that price for JEEP? Sorry....

I have been a Jeep guy most of my life. That's not a Jeep. Why not just badge it as a Chrysler wagon. I Owned a full size wagon years ago and while it was a mix of parts it drove nice and my Wife loved it. I can't imagine paying out that kind of money for that.

Yep new= junk more times than one. I’ve fixed so many new cars in my time as a mechanic man you could not pay me to own one. They could of at least made it look nice.
You really can't expect it to hold up to a 94 Pontiac Grand Am standards of quality and reliability..

You really can't expect it to hold up to a 94 Pontiac Grand Am standards of quality and reliability..

That might be a good thing. I never considered a Pontiac Grand Am from that era to be a benchmark for quality and reliability.

Hope they sell but going up to the luxury suv market will be tough running with the big dogs; Range Rover, Porsche, Audi, MB. Hope they can do it but it will require a big shift in materials quality, especially interiors, technology and most critically, market perception. Cracking vinyl at 23k miles on ’leather faced’ seats on your highest trim level won’t cut it (I had 3 Grand Cherokees). Also, Jeep’s quality reputation isn’t the very best, but that seems forgivable in the market segment if the car is otherwise desirable, see Rover. Perception is reality..

My last 2 GC’s are what finally sold me on Range Rover. LR got much better and I figured they couldn’t be worse than the Jeep’s...and they weren’t.

Grand Wagoneer is a good looking truck though. I’d certainly look at one after the second model year.

Must have been a while since you owned a GC eh? Like before the SRT's showed up? The Laguna leather has been an option for quite a while now and it's incredible. The interior on the GC's (and other vehicles) really improved dramatically after the FIAT takeover.

+1 on that amount of money being better spent on a true luxury car like BMW or MB

I crossed shopped the AMG 63 SUV and the Grand Cherokee SRT (they are both based on the same platform at this point still) and I ended up in another GC. The MB had some neat features, like the backup camera flipping out so it wasn't always getting covered in road grime, but interior-wise, they are VERY similar with the Jeep not having the funky screen location and a better infotainment system IMHO.

I do believe the X5M and X6M are a bit nicer however, but we don't have a local BMW dealership, so getting things serviced is a monumental PITA if you need the dealer, which I discovered with my M5.

I have been a Jeep guy most of my life. That's not a Jeep. Why not just badge it as a Chrysler wagon. I Owned a full size wagon years ago and while it was a mix of parts it drove nice and my Wife loved it. I can't imagine paying out that kind of money for that.

It's a RAM 1500 basically, lol. That's what it is based on. More similar to an old school Expedition when it was based on the F-150 in terms of platform alignment. That's not a bad thing, the DT trucks are incredible, so it's a very solid foundation to put a big SUV on.

That horse left the barn a long time ago. My JGC Summit is supremely comfortable, yet I slogged through a muddy trail with it a couple of days ago without breaking a sweat.
Best of both worlds imo.The Hemi just makes it all work that much better.

That horse left the barn a long time ago. My JGC Summit is supremely comfortable, yet I slogged through a muddy trail with it a couple of days ago without breaking a sweat.
Best of both worlds imo.The Hemi just makes it all work that much better.
I have heated leather seats in my 99 but it's a beast offroad. This "Wagoneer" Is a rich soccer mom's dream. Nothing i'd want to take offroad.

Must have been a while since you owned a GC eh? Like before the SRT's showed up? The Laguna leather has been an option for quite a while now and it's incredible. The interior on the GC's (and other vehicles) really improved dramatically after the FIAT takeover.
2010 was the last GC I owned. It was an Overland. I liked it, but the trim was as described and it had a host of electrical issues, including one where the transfer case would shift into neutral after the car shut off. I only noticed it when taking a phone call in the car for a few minutes after shutdown. Called the local dealer who had me bring it in the next day....said they never heard of that problem. The recall came out shortly after:)

I’ve heard they got better. Funny that the FIAT takeover improved things. I’ve never been in an SRT, they do look good tho.

Last edited:
I have heated leather seats in my 99 but it's a beast offroad. This "Wagoneer" Is a rich soccer mom's dream. Nothing i'd want to take offroad.
I agree with you.
In saying that, the profit margin is in this exact type of vehicle.
Jeep name for marketing
Near Ultimate luxury with Jeep capable powertrain - for the soccer dad/mom/all others.
Again, best of both worlds.
Can't wait to get them into our dealership.

We've had to delay 4 - 5 TRX orders due to limited availability - at $140,000 CDN out the door.

This Grand Wagoneer is in a segment where people will normally be not taking it off-road. I don’t know of too many Lincoln Navigators or Cadillac Escalades that go off road.

The name carries prestige and so does the price, they will sell especially since it's a new luxury SUV and not just a Tahoe with a different trim level. I'm not the biggest fan of it but I know people who would buy it to stand out.

2010 was the last GC I owned. It was an Overland. I liked it, but the trim was as described and it had a host of electrical issues, including one where the transfer case would shift into neutral after the car shut off. I only noticed it when taking a phone call in the car for a few minutes after shutdown. Called the local dealer who had me bring it in the next day....said they never heard of that problem. The recall came out shortly after:)

I’ve heard they got better. Funny that the FIAT takeover improved things. I’ve never been in an SRT, they do look good tho.

Makes sense, that's pre-FIAT. We had an '06 Charger and the difference between it and the post-FIAT interiors was huge.

The name carries prestige and so does the price, they will sell especially since it's a new luxury SUV and not just a Tahoe with a different trim level. I'm not the biggest fan of it but I know people who would buy it to stand out.
But I wonder if it carries prestige in that price range? A number of friends and folks I know who have RR, MB, X5/7, Q whatevers also have Wranglers or a Renegade for their kids but don't currently own GC's, but may have had them in the past. These folks also know little about the vehicles beyond what they need... Will they see this as an attempt by the company that makes their kids cars??

Marketing is a funny area, especially high end retail. If they get into the heavy discount situation, that could hurt them...or sell enough. Time will tell.

I hope they sell and I can see them taking share from the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban market.

Last edited:
Makes sense, that's pre-FIAT. We had an '06 Charger and the difference between it and the post-FIAT interiors was huge.
Yes, it was funny. Our '97 GC Limited was bulletproof, '98 Wrangler was troublesome early on but aged very well, '01 GC was also OK, The '05 GC Limited had continual drivetrain issues and the '10 GC Overland was as described. Glad to hear FIAT is doing well with them. Not surprised on the interior materials and finish, the Europeans have generally been best at that.

Seems like a lot of cars, but we kept one around for the Nanny and visiting In Laws....the GC's were perfect in that role.

1615572966672.jpg

1615572918403.png

Back