Jeep grand or regular cherokee

I never consider how the Insurance Institute for Highest Profits ranks a vehicle when I'm car shopping.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I never consider how the Insurance Institute for Highest Profits ranks a vehicle when I'm car shopping.

NHTSA?

Originally Posted by Ws6

NHTSA?

Rarely if at all. For me crash ratings are akin to whether a car requires premium fuel- they aren't even a minor factor in my decision making.

Originally Posted by Ws6

NHTSA?

Rarely if at all. For me crash ratings are akin to whether a car requires premium fuel- they aren't even a minor factor in my decision making.

Hmmm. I only drive safe vehicles. Seen enough bodies to feel like it matters.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Everyone has their own risk threshold; my definition of a safe vehicle almost certainly differs from yours as well. My son's first car (in 2010) was a 1975 2002. In fact, BaT currently has an E12 I would happily drive every day(and would buy if the bidding hadn't gone crazy). I'm 63 years old and I guess I will just keep living on the ragged edge of survival.
To each his own.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by ryster
Although I like the GC better, if I had to buy a Jeep today it would be the regular Cherokee based on crash test ratings. The 2019+ Cherokee is a top safety pick. The GC, on the other hand, has a marginal rating for driver and a poor rating for passenger safety. I would feel better driving the safer vehicle.

Wait what? Wow. There is literally no excuse for this in 2020. I only buy IIHS Top+ and NHTSA 5-star vehicles. More fuel for my hatred of the poor engineering Chrysler does.

It's an old platform now, that's pretty common for them to slide as they age, look at the Toyota Tundra and Sienna, same thing.

FYI, the current gen Grand Cherokee was a top safety pick when it debuted in 2011 and carried it through 2012 and 2013 (per your criteria). While they changed a few things in 2014 to improve the results, it's still a 10 year old platform at this point and the standards are updated, designs are changed to achieve better results in the tests and subsequently your "top safety pick" now ranks "poor" in one or more metrics just a few short years later.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Mazda made some revisions to the CX-5 after a poor showing for example:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But these types of changes are not always possible, depending on the nature of the platform.

Of those two I would go with the Cherokee Trailhawk. My g/f has a 2018 Cherokee, and although not my style and not a Fiat fan, it's got good power and handles ok.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Ws6

Mazda made some revisions to the CX-5 after a poor showing for example:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But these types of changes are not always possible, depending on the nature of the platform.

Agreed. I bought a 2015, and 2019. Both excellent.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Everyone has their own risk threshold; my definition of a safe vehicle almost certainly differs from yours as well. My son's first car (in 2010) was a 1975 2002. In fact, BaT currently has an E12 I would happily drive every day(and would buy if the bidding hadn't gone crazy). I'm 63 years old and I guess I will just keep living on the ragged edge of survival.
To each his own.

100% this. Also, we take different risks, likely.

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
The Cherokee TH off road will out perform the GC TH off road. Shorter wheelbase, locking rear diff and it has a real low range too. I haven't had any issues with the tranny in my 15 Cherokee or my 19 Rene TH. Take the experience real owners have had over what random forum people say! I actually think the Cherokees have more room in the back seat than the Grands. I traded my 09 Grand Cherokee in for mine and it is much roomier in the back seat, and the WK2 Grands don't seem much bigger in the back seat than the WKs. The Cherokee will feel more like the Escape.

The JGC TH has a real low range too, much better ground clearance because you can raise the car 3" with the air suspension, traction control on all wheels acts like lockers. I have done some research, and I don't think the JGC will be bested by the JC off road...or on. But I value your opinion like all others.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
I'm a Jeep guy and would opt for the Grand Cherokee. It can come with a real 2 speed 'case so you can do some real exploring if you want to. Not a fan of the CVT based 20:1 low range systems in the front drive based Cherokee and Compass.

Ahhh I see the fake news and misinformation is still alive and well here. Before posting false news you should research first. Jeep discontinued the CVT transmission in the Renegade, Cherokee, and Compass, and now only uses manual transmissions, a 6 speed that is based off of Hyundai's auto and a 9 speed auto. If buying a new Jeep it will no longer have a cvt.

Yep, you guys got me. I should have looked before posting, not after. Haven't kept up on the Jeep 4WD lingo since the crummy CVT in my old company Compass.

I would still opt for the JGC for the reasons another Todd posted, however, if the OP wanted to do any serious wheeling, neither of these would be a good choice - and I do know quite a bit about serious wheelin'.

Originally Posted by Ws6

To each his own.

I try to only buy "safe" vehicles; I felt a bit of guilt buying a top heavy pickup truck (rollover prone). But on any given nice summer day I'll be found out on my ... bicycle. Not much safety there. And then I bought a 20 year old car to commute in (and not a 5 minute commute, it gets 2+ hours a day). I won't buy an unsafe new vehicle but I'll buy a really old one?
21.gif
Yeah, pretty good logic right there.

After looking at, reading reviews, and driving both the Grand Cherokee and regular Cherokee, we bought a CPO 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. After driving, it was an easy decision for us. It will be the wife's primary car and giving up her beloved 2017 Ford Escape wasn't going to be an easy sell, but she loves the Cherokee.
To be honest, all the knocks I heard about the Cherokee (jerky trans shifting etc) we found true in the Grand Cherokee we drove and not at all in the Cherokee. It drove just fine and for me, and I just felt more comfortable in it. For her, the GC was too big, and the Cherokee was a familiar size. I know we are giving up some off road performance, but we are mainly towing it behind the motorhome and using it for forest roads and such, not anything hard core so it will be fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by another Todd
After looking at, reading reviews, and driving both the Grand Cherokee and regular Cherokee, we bought a CPO 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. After driving, it was an easy decision for us. It will be the wife's primary car and giving up her beloved 2017 Ford Escape wasn't going to be an easy sell, but she loves the Cherokee.
To be honest, all the knocks I heard about the Cherokee (jerky trans shifting etc) we found true in the Grand Cherokee we drove and not at all in the Cherokee. It drove just fine and for me, and I just felt more comfortable in it. For her, the GC was too big, and the Cherokee was a familiar size. I know we are giving up some off road performance, but we are mainly towing it behind the motorhome and using it for forest roads and such, not anything hard core so it will be fine.

Great to hear you are happy! I know Rand really likes his Cherokee, I personally find them too "car like", but I can certainly understand why that wouldn't bother other people.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Ws6

To each his own.

I try to only buy "safe" vehicles; I felt a bit of guilt buying a top heavy pickup truck (rollover prone). But on any given nice summer day I'll be found out on my ... bicycle. Not much safety there. And then I bought a 20 year old car to commute in (and not a 5 minute commute, it gets 2+ hours a day). I won't buy an unsafe new vehicle but I'll buy a really old one?
21.gif
Yeah, pretty good logic right there.

LOL I have the same logic. I like the safety in newer cars but I ride a motorcycle.

We traded our 2016 Honda HR-V for this Cherokee Limited with the High Altitude package and the 2.0 turbo. It's a stablemate to the RAM 1500 and will be primarily driven by my wife, and by me when she takes the truck which she really likes to drive. She also test drove the Grand Cherokee but it was no contest, she preferred the smaller Cherokee.

The 2.0 turbo has plenty of power and so far gas mileage has been really close to the estimates on the window sticker, around 20 in town and upper 20's on the highway. Time will tell as far as the durability of the vehicle and the engine but so far we both really enjoy driving it, except for the #?]&@$% start/stop!

[Linked Image]

Back