Jeep Gladiator Rental

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I seem to be gravitating towards Jeep rentals lately, most recent being this Gladiator. I had a Wrangler Unlimited last fall with the 2.0T that I liked, but I think this Gladiator was a little more comfortable, quiet and well mannered (longer wheelbase?). This one has the Pentastar 3.6 and the highway ride was actually pretty impressive. At times I was at 85+ and it was smooth, comfortable and quiet even at those speeds - it even cruised at that speed effortlessly, something I wouldn't expect from a solid front axle off-road vehicle.

The interior is all Wrangler, it's functional, well designed and built to withstand abuse and the elements. Not much luxury but a lot of utilitarian basic durability. If it gets rained on while the top and doors are off nothing will get damaged. It has all the usual Uconnect stuff that's great, even though it's a few years old I still think it's the best in the business. Behind the 3.6 is the ZF designed 8 speed, also best in the business.

All told, it's a pretty cool and interesting utilitarian vehicle that I can see why someone would buy but it's probably not for me. It can do a lot and go anywhere.

1mfzlwh.jpg

Last edited:
This model always reminded me of a land rover but I read that these Jeeps constantly leak. I can only imagine the mildew smell after that has gone on for awhile.

This model always reminded me of a land rover but I read that these Jeeps constantly leak. I can only imagine the mildew smell after that has gone on for awhile.
I've only ever had 1 Wrangler, a 1997, and it never leaked a drop. Soft top. Like the guy that used that one oil in his car and it didn't blow up, this anecdotal evidence is sure to please!

I read 50 different stories about cherokees leaking and mine never did.

Gladiators are relatively small inside IMO. Like a 2000 ranger.
and you can buy a ram 1500 hemi for cheaper.. and same gas mileage :LOL:

Last edited:
Did it feel really big? The one thing wrong with a Gladiator is if you don't put on bigger tires and lift it a ittle it looks like a dorkwagon.

It felt a lot like driving an old S-10 or Ranger.

I have a neighbor that for an unknown reason moved to the desert from Detroit. Having never even been to a desert! He brought his Audi and a BMW.....both of which lasted less than a month on our rocky, washboard roads.

He bought one of those 4 door jeep trucks and immediately took the doors off. So far it's outlasted the cars he brought with him lol

Back