JD Power Initial Quality Rankings

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Cue the Dodge/Chrysler commercials up now....shadowy car in a dark room....booming voice says.."wanna know what car company beats Lexus in quality...is it Toyota, Honda, BMW?....NO! its Dodge! That's right! Dodge. Right now our cars are so good they want ever have to go the shop or change oil"

All the while Toyota/Lexus owners are LOL'ng out loud

To be fair, most Dodge models were introduced when George W Bush was president and haven't been changed much since.

I hope they've worked out the kinks by now.

True. The whole lineup consists of:
- Durango
- Grand Caravan
- Journey
- Charger
- Challenger

With the Dart gone, things were bound to look better.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
You don't understand it because you don't understand the difference between long term reliability and problems using an infotainment system. If you actually dig into the IQS, you'll see that even JDPower states the most "problematic" category is the infotainment systems in modern cars. A lot of that is the customer's lack of knowledge and prowess. Even so, I'd rather have a car/truck that has an infotainment system that annoys me a little than have to replace an engine or transmission on my dime.

It's not a this-or-that choice. Saying IQS is important doesn't mean LTR isn't also important and vice versa.

It is entirely possible for IQS and LTR to co-exist. You can have a vehicle that doesn't have an annoying infotainment and won't require an engine or transmission replacement.

This isn't Yankees vs. Red Sox. You don't have to pick a side.

This isn't Yankees vs. Red Sox. You don't have to pick a side.

When it comes to buying cars you sure do! Then defend your choice to the death on the interwebs! Everyone else is WRONG!!!!

Didn't you learn this in grade school?

Originally Posted by MCompact
As I always say, when I see Kilmer it reminds me that somewhere, a village is missing its idiot.

I dunno, now with everything going online and social media and whatnot I suspect he HAS found his village.

Like the baseball analogy ... really tiring watching folks here attack every brand they don't buy ...

I always take these surveys with a ton of salt. One should expect a brand new car to perform well for the first 90 days. A lot of stuff that gets nit picked are only opinions from users or user error.

As a one time Mitsubishi fan I'm glad to see them near the top of the list. Considering how many vehicles they really sell in the US and the general consensus that they are pulling out of the American market, it makes me wonder how they got there?

That's good to see, but initial quality (first 3 months of ownership) is meaningless for people that plan to keep a vehicle for years.

I never understand this line of thinking.

IQS is incredibly important, even if you're keeping the vehicle until it rots back to the earth.

A chime that obscenely loud? Meaningless, because I'm going to own this vehicle for 15 years!
A driver seat that is uncomfortable after 2 hours of driving? Meaningless, because I'm going to own this vehicle for 15 years!
An airbag system that thinks someone is in the passenger seat every time I set my work bag there and chimes (did I mention the chime is too loud)? Meaningless, because I'm going to own this vehicle for 15 years!
A collision alert system that auto-brakes every time I pull into my subdivision because it thinks I'm going to run into the neighborhood sign in the median? Meaningless, because I'm going to own this vehicle for 15 years!

These aren't problems or faults in the vehicle, they're just characteristics. Everything is working fine and nothing is broke, but they're all items that may give pause to someone looking to purchase a vehicle that they may not otherwise notice on a 30 minute test drive.

If anything, IQS items are just as important as long-term reliability, especially if you're going to keep the vehicle for years. I can fix a noisy wheel bearing in a couple hours. I can't fix an uncomfortable that's a result of how it's designed.

IMO the IQ study includes too many subjective items which really don't indicate long term reliability. Interestingly there's a group in Europe which does a long term study of vehicles at approx 100k KM (60k miles). They completely disassemble the vehicles.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Starman2112

I'd take anything said by someone who used and defended the use of compression fittings on brake lines with a massive truckload of salt.

I don't always agree with Scotty, but he's preaching truth here. He's not the only one out there saying JD Power is BS.

Originally Posted by supton

Originally Posted by MCompact
As I always say, when I see Kilmer it reminds me that somewhere, a village is missing its idiot.

I dunno, now with everything going online and social media and whatnot I suspect he HAS found his village.

Good point! I have said that I believe the chief benefit of Craigslist is that it proves that even the mentally feeble can operate a computer.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Like the baseball analogy ... really tiring watching folks here attack every brand they don't buy ...

Or have even sat in.

That's good to see, but initial quality (first 3 months of ownership) is meaningless for people that plan to keep a vehicle for years. FCA still struggles with long term reliability. Maybe they'll improve, but I won't be holding my breath. Cheers.

They HAVE improved. Anyone who has a brain can see the ascending quality of FCA products. FCA is building vehicles to last.

No need to "hold breath". Cheers.

It is unrealistic to think someone has to own every brand they comment on. That's why we have automobile publications, youtube reviews and quality surveys. But i agree many of the "critics" go overboard.

Yes Tesla has come a long way but the fit and finish and difficult dealership network refusing free towing when it was in the contract etc, I'm not surprised.

Any list that has Dodge in first place, and then Lexus, Honda and Toyota well behind even brands such as VW, I have to find a little suspect. Then Audi and second to last when they are essentially the same as VW, it makes no sense.

Also I believe even (old) people having problems figuring out how to use the infotainment counts against the brand.

Interesting to see how initial quality doesn't translate into long term dependability.
[Linked Image from jdpower.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by itguy08
Interesting to see how initial quality doesn't translate into long term dependability.
[Linked Image from jdpower.com]

Jag, Chrysler and Land Rover round out the bottom three. I gotta admit, I'm surprised Chrysler was that low.

I don't put much stock into this kind of stuff because some models are much more reliable within one brand than others.

On another note, how many tweets has Elon made about these rankings
lol.gif

Originally Posted by gfh77665
That's good to see, but initial quality (first 3 months of ownership) is meaningless for people that plan to keep a vehicle for years. FCA still struggles with long term reliability. Maybe they'll improve, but I won't be holding my breath. Cheers.

They HAVE improved. Anyone who has a brain can see the ascending quality of FCA products. FCA is building vehicles to last.

Just wait until Peugeot starts building them.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by gfh77665

Just wait until Peugeot starts building them.

lol.gif

Back