JASO FD vs. TCW 3 ISO GD? For Toro Snowthrower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Toro Single stage Power Clear 221QR Power Clear snow thrower with the Briggs 2-stroke.

I was surprised to see the Manual flat out state TCW 3 or ISO GD? Isn't this outboard oil? I regularly use Echo synthetic blend that is JASO FD rated in all my other 2 stokes for my lawn & garden biz ... isn't this better oil than the TCW 3?
21.gif

Final question I have some old stoke of TCW 3 Yamalube that is over 10 years old in sealed gallon containers .... is it still ok to use?
28.gif

Last edited:
Jaso fd and iso egd are about the same spec so your echo stuff should be fine IMHO. The fact they threw tcw3 in there probably just means either would be fine.

Your call on the yamalube. I've had old 2 cycle (golden spectro) get lumps in it, they did disolve when mixed, but made me quit using it. It performed fine. Also had some valvoline tcw-2 oil that I used up, ran fine, but reminded me of why they made tcw3.

Originally Posted By: wileyE
Jaso fd and iso egd are about the same spec so your echo stuff should be fine IMHO. The fact they threw tcw3 in there probably just means either would be fine.

Your call on the yamalube. I've had old 2 cycle (golden spectro) get lumps in it, they did disolve when mixed, but made me quit using it. It performed fine. Also had some valvoline tcw-2 oil that I used up, ran fine, but reminded me of why they made tcw3.

Ok . . . so my 10 year stock of TCW3 Yamalube is actually ISO GD rated?

Anyhow I just want the engines on these snow throwers to last a long time. They basically start @ full throttle with no chance to warm up before being hammered.

Thinking about going with some Amsoil 2 stoke oil.

Amsoil Sabre' is probably the best or one of the best synthetic oils for 2-cycle "yard" engines.

10 yrs of use proves it to me.

They say you can go 1:100 but I am dumb and still use 1:50 as Toro stamps on the gasoline cap.

Gotta take extra care of soon to be extinct 2-cycle engines.

Last edited:
Looks like I will be buying both Amsoil Saber for the other 2-strokes and Saber TCW 3 for outboards for the Toro based on this chart. http://www.amsoil.com/products/twocycle/fab_four.aspx

All the Toro snow thrower 2-stoke engine manufacturers recommend TCW 3 rated oil.

Yes I will also be safe and go with the 50:1 ratio.
Originally Posted By: Pete591
Amsoil Sabre' is probably the best or one of the best synthetic oils for 2-cycle "yard" engines.

10 yrs of use proves it to me.

They say you can go 1:100 but I am dumb and still use 1:50 as Toro stamps on the gasoline cap.

Gotta take extra care of soon to be extinct 2-cycle engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back