Japanese Beer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friends, my friends I believe I have gone full circle and can say without a doubt in my mind that Japanese lagers are the best lagers in the world. If you love lagers and lighter beers I urge you to try

1. Asahi super dry
2. Sapporo
3. Kirin Ichiban

In that order. The Asahi super dry is the top selling beer in Japan and it is the best lager in the world IMO. Sapporo is also very good. All are better in cans than in bottles.

If you can drink a [censored] beer still and be able to describe the flavor of it by more than just saying "tastes like beer" than you will enjoy Japanese beer. The flavors are all very subtle and balanced and if you dont have a good palate you will just think its smooth drinking lager, which isent bad but you'll miss out on the perfection of flavor and balance that is going on while your feverishly chuging.

Used to be my favorites, but I branched out to better, bigger beers. However, they are great "light" beers, I agree the best in the world. Very few "off" flavors.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Used to be my favorites, but I branched out to better, bigger beers. However, they are great "light" beers, I agree the best in the world. Very few "off" flavors.

It seems I'm going down the same path as you but we started at different ends. I started drinking the very strong very hoppy beers of the northwest and branched out to british, belgium, german ect. and found my way to japan. I still like strong nothwest brews like Mactarnahans amber, Rogue and various IPA's but I seem to go for balance as opposed to obsene amounts of hopps these days.

Originally Posted By: ryland
My friends, my friends I believe I have gone full circle and can say without a doubt in my mind that Japanese lagers are the best lagers in the world. If you love lagers and lighter beers I urge you to try

1. Asahi super dry
2. Sapporo
3. Kirin Ichiban

In that order. The Asahi super dry is the top selling beer in Japan and it is the best lager in the world IMO. Sapporo is also very good. All are better in cans than in bottles.

If you can drink a [censored] beer still and be able to describe the flavor of it by more than just saying "tastes like beer" than you will enjoy Japanese beer. The flavors are all very subtle and balanced and if you dont have a good palate you will just think its smooth drinking lager, which isent bad but you'll miss out on the perfection of flavor and balance that is going on while your feverishly chuging.

I like Sapporo the best, Kirin IchiBan is basically Budweiser, don't like either of them. I'm a big fan of Sake though, its quite good this time of year =). My favorite beers though are Franziskaner Weiss Beer and Hacker-Pschorr. By far the best beers I have had. Both are sold at most liquor stores.

Last edited:
I liked sake untill I wnt to japan and realized no one drinks sake! They all drink soju or they call it something else because people in japan dont like koreans but soju is "THE" drink in most parts of asia I've been to. Its basicly like a sweet less alchoholic vodka but its pretty good.

I still drink sake sometimes because there is a sake brewery in forest grove oregon called Sakeone they make a lot of really good sake.

http://www.sakeone.com

I seem to only drink japanese beer when we go out for sushi, Asahi super dry is a bit different than any other beer I usually have.
I'll pay more attention next time to its flavour, it always comes in bottles though. I like sapporo(always comes in cans) too but it didn't leave an impression like Asahi.

Well I do the same but you normally don't think about drinking Japanese beer unless you are in a Japanese restaurant or setting. Most of the time your splashed and bombarded with the usual beer commercials for Coors, Budweiser, Corona and Heineken.

I ask that you all try the two beers I mentioned, I am sure you will come back with a smile on your face.

Originally Posted By: ryland
Originally Posted By: Pablo

It seems I'm going down the same path as you but we started at different ends. I started drinking the very strong very hoppy beers of the northwest and branched out to british, belgium, german ect. and found my way to japan. I still like strong nothwest brews like Mactarnahans amber, Rogue and various IPA's but I seem to go for balance as opposed to obsene amounts of hopps these days.

I do agree - some NW brews are way overhopped for the style.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Well I do the same but you normally don't think about drinking Japanese beer unless you are in a Japanese restaurant or setting. Most of the time your splashed and bombarded with the usual beer commercials for Coors, Budweiser, Corona and Heineken.

You are a victim of advertising.
LOL.gif

Finished off my Honey Brown earlier,had a few Coronas,now I`m getting ready to start on my Heinekens and maybe a few Jack and Cokes
10.gif

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Don't we all?
I know people are, my mom works at the liquor store and drinking certainly has gone up 30%
shocked2.gif

Unfortunately not me... Can't drink at the moment.
frown.gif

Meh. Those are all still fairly bland lagers, nothing to get excited about. The only people that drink them are Americans, the Japanese all drink Budweiser.

If you want some good Japanese beer, try those made by Kiuchi brewery, they make a line of beers called Hitachino. Delicious stuff!!

your full of it man! They are perfect IMO the flavers are subtle but complex and balanced and as far as the Budweiser, Asahi is the no.1 beer in Japan by far. Most eveyplace you go has Asahi.

My fave brews........Dutch,Mexican,and darks/blacks/bocks. There`s really no mainstream beers I like (i.e. Coors,Budweiser=YUCK!). I`ve never tried Japanese brews though. Are they all "light"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back