Japanese Auto Styling

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
One of the reasons I loved the S2000, especially the first gen, was the conservative, almost Italian styling. Some of the Japanese styling can be somewhat cartoonish...especially the home market stuff. Visit Tokyo and it all sort of makes sense.

The S2000 and the 1st gen NSX were two examples of what Honda does best. The Toyota 2000GT was also pretty sexy - the first non-British car to be driven in a James Bond movie.

The 1st gen Lexus SC/2nd gen Toyota Soarer was an interesting case study in design - it was penned and designed at Calty in Orange County. The lead designer used plaster-filled balloons as an experiment in shape. It was a departure from what was being designed in Japan. I felt the Lexus of the 1990s to mid-2010s designed for the American market. A Lexus looked more American than an Acura or Infiniti to me.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/25-year-club-lexus-sc/

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Here is the next Prius

https://youtu.be/Re74qh00D3g

A8670FC4-547C-4038-A129-BAA0AF6294A6.png

Originally Posted by Icyd
Frankly, i don't know what happened to toyotas and hondas. seems like they just got their hands on new high tech sheet metal press machine that can do all sorts of weird bends and kinks, and their designers just having a field day utilizing it to the max. purposeless designs. utter vulgarity

I agree!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by raaizin
Frankly, i don't know what happened to toyotas and hondas. seems like they just got their hands on new high tech sheet metal press machine that can do all sorts of weird bends and kinks, and their designers just having a field day utilizing it to the max. purposeless designs. utter vulgarity

I agree!
crazy2.gif

Are these yawnfests any better???
37.gif

20Chevy-Trax-Jellybean-LS-BlackCherry.png

20chevy_Trax_LT_blue.png

USC90FOC201B021001.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4

I agree!
crazy2.gif

37.gif

I think every manufacturer makes its own yawn fest as indicated by the accurate list of crossovers/minivans below

C1CADF37-E7CC-422F-98C2-B71C2BCE7FFF.jpeg

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Originally Posted by Imp4

I agree!
crazy2.gif

37.gif

I think every manufacturer makes its own yawn fest as indicated by the accurate list of crossovers/minivans below

I agree! A bus is a bus is a bus.

I think the styling of pretty much all vehicles these days is way too gaudy. Too many grills and fake grills (both on the front and back of vehicles). Way too many lights on the front ends (corner markers, DRLs, headlights, mad eyebrow lights). Simpler is better, but that look has gone by the wayside...

Can't say I'm a big fan of any current Japanese car's styling. The old ones were a different story - Nissan 300ZX, Skyline R34, Toyota 2000GT, first generation Honda NSX, Lexus LS400, and second generation Lexus GS to name a few.

I really like the styling of the Toyota/Lexus and the newer Camry. All manufacturers have some of their vehicles that are not so stylish. Toyota has great success with their sales and the stock being at $142 a share is a pretty good indicator of it. The PE ratio is 8.97. You can't argue with the success.

If we talk about Ford at $8.21 a share and a PE ratio of 281.23 I don't know what to say. Its very disappointing. I may have to dump my shares of this as I fear it may be headed back to $2 a share. Strong economy the last 10+ years Ford should not be having the problems they are having.

I myself like the styling of the current Japanese cars. The Toyota lineup is vastly improved over years past as is Honda and Mazda. I think back to the egg shaped Camry, my goodness, that was a boring car inside and out. Today's Camry is a great looking car. The only change I don't like is how the Tundra has evolved. This is just my opinion though. To each their own.

Originally Posted by HemiBenny
I myself like the styling of the current Japanese cars. The Toyota lineup is vastly improved over years past as is Honda and Mazda. I think back to the egg shaped Camry, my goodness, that was a boring car inside and out. Today's Camry is a great looking car. The only change I don't like is how the Tundra has evolved. This is just my opinion though. To each their own.

I do think the current Corolla is the their best looking model yet...the Honda Civic on the hand...

Originally Posted by Falcon_LS
Can't say I'm a big fan of any current Japanese car's styling. The old ones were a different story - Nissan 300ZX, Skyline R34, Toyota 2000GT, first generation Honda NSX, Lexus LS400, and second generation Lexus GS to name a few.

I agree,the 90s era Japanese "exotics" were beautiful!! My favorites were the 300ZX,3000GT,Supra,NSX,and RX7.

Originally Posted by Amkeer

If we talk about Ford at $8.21 a share and a PE ratio of 281.23 I don't know what to say. Its very disappointing. I may have to dump my shares of this as I fear it may be headed back to $2 a share. Strong economy the last 10+ years Ford should not be having the problems they are having.

Ford stock is a bit of a stinker. You would be better off investing in GM which is an A-rated stock.

To my eye japanese cars as a whole seem to be overly styled . American German even Korean seem much more subdued. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but does anyone else agree. I just helped an elderly friend of mine with the purchase of a car who didnt want to go to the dealer alone. She purchased a 2019 camry. I really like toyota reliability but to be honest I dont think I could get past the way it looks.

Japanese car styling = Pontiac car styling gone awry

I think it comes and goes in waves; in the early 90's, Nissan came out with extremely handsome designs, including the Sentra. Then they were decreed to be too plain, and they went wacky with the introduction of the 1995 Maxima (and then on). And when that ugly wave went out, they came out with the very handsome Altima, Maxima, etc. I have to wonder what they're thinking, as the full sized Nissan van is flat out ugly, as if almost deliberately so.

Toyota styled their cars conservatively, and then the next batch went in the other direction.

Honda (Acura) had a few very handsome designs, but some of their newer offerings are ugly.

It would appear that Hyundai is one of the few manufacturers to successfully incorporate body creases, etc., in a way that melds together handsomely, although there are a few aspects of the new Sonata which I don't care for.

Back to your comment, it would seem that things run in waves: conservative styling that is then thought to be too conservative, followed by a wave of experimental/ugly designs, which are then decreed as such - so the follow up redesign is conservative, and so on

(EDIT: On second thought, I think the ugly designs are specific to certain Nissan/Toyota/Honda models; Mazda's designs have always been handsome)

Last edited:
The 2020 Subarus are nice looking. Impreza, Legacy and WRX especially. The Outback are respectable looking i.e not garish.

Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by Amkeer

Ford stock is a bit of a stinker. You would be better off investing in GM which is an A-rated stock.

Looking for values in a overpriced market. My thinking cap needs to change from long positions to short positions as this run up has been going on for almost 12 years. The GM stock is risky also as they have gone under before that is when I bought Ford at about $2. I am laying low on stocks until I can grasp direction.

I think the styling on most manufacturers has improved over the years especially when you compare it to the 80's.

Back