Japanese Auto Styling

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Best looking Japanese car...

Sorry I must vehemently disagree.

I could go point by point, like Robert Cumberford, but driving a derivative, hideous car myself in the Jetta
who am I to throw stones.
smile.gif
frown.gif
smile.gif

Last edited:

Cookie cutter black wheel sedan.
31.gif

I can't get past the Predator mouth grille on them... it does look really nice from the angle you posted though!

I also think Mazda has the best looks of the Japanese brands. Honda/Acura look kinda jelly bean, but I do like their jewel eye headlights, and the new Toyota's are massively over styled/sporty looking for no reason.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
It might be because they don't have consistent styling cues. A MK6 Jetta and a MK2 look similar enough that you can tell they are sort of the same model. The black grill, silver emblems in the same places, etc. A 2000 Corolla looks almost nothing like a 2020.

The Japanese seem to really want to abandon the three box sedan for the grain of rice. The grain of rice leaves fewer distinguishing features IMO. Korean cars seem to be the Japanese cars of the past.

Mazdas may be ‘unique' looking, unique as in uncommon, but that is because the cars themselves are uncommon. It is the "Hey, what's that?" effect.

Mazda only has 1.65% share of the US market.

Originally Posted by 4WD
If you want that Lexus to look good - get it away from that Tesla

Can't a poor boy catch a break? Do I have to break out the Oldsey?

Japanese cars have two week Points: Rust and Design. They dont look good. Sadly.
I dram abou a Lexus with a Audi or italian Style. Would be a Perfect car.

Offtopic, but the Motorcycles are even worser...

Saying this, i am VERY happy with my Honda S2000 and my Kawasaki ZRX 1200 R.

Beg to differ. Alan Mullally called the LS430 the finest car in the world before he took the helm at Ford - Boeing paid for it. Not the best pic, but here's my parent's '05 LS430 after a wash and wax.

[Linked Image]

The new Lexus spindle grille reminds me too much of the lululemon logo. I call it the lululemon grille.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach

Beg to differ. Alan Mullally called the LS430 the finest car in the world before he took the helm at Ford - Boeing paid for it. Not the best pic, but here's my parent's '05 LS430 after a wash and wax.

The new Lexus spindle grille reminds me too much of the lululemon logo. I call it the lululemon grille.

The big Lexus changed the automotive world. It changed the way Mercedes Benz did business.
It is a topic in business schools. Such a great car.
But my GS is better!

Frankly, i don't know what happened to toyotas and hondas. seems like they just got their hands on new high tech sheet metal press machine that can do all sorts of weird bends and kinks, and their designers just having a field day utilizing it to the max. purposeless designs. utter vulgarity

One of the reasons I loved the S2000, especially the first gen, was the conservative, almost Italian styling. Some of the Japanese styling can be somewhat cartoonish...especially the home market stuff. Visit Tokyo and it all sort of makes sense.

Originally Posted by nthach

[Linked Image]

That's a beautiful car!

Blame it on pedestrian impact regulations which were passed in Asia and the EU over the past decade or so. Basically none of the old designs which people allegedly love would ever pass muster.

Back