Japan Working on New Stealth Fighter

Well as the UK is the only 'level 1' partner, i sincerely hope we are getting the full fat version of the F35-B with nothing held back.

Sounds like Japan has similar requirement to us in Canada. Dual engine, long range. We had roughly 60 F35's ordered but a new government backed out because of dual engine and maintenance cost. If the Gripen had two engines we'd probably go with that. We'll probably end up with Super Hornets.

Japans threats are serious. They need both speed and endurance, which usually results in good range, too. They need to be able to loiter, spot small, fast targets, and move rapidly to intercept. The F-22 is ideal for their requirements.

As someone who knows everything that the F22 is capable of, trust me... we don't want to export it.

Here's a list of things it can do:
1) Cost a **** ton of money and suffocate it's pilots
2) Never get into a dog fight because we use drones anyway
3) Make Burger King burgers actually taste good
4) The materials used require COVID-19 RNA so they don't go away

I can’t tell if you’re joking. What’s your point?

I’m pretty certain, that while Raptor Cough is real, a large part of it was an OBOGS issue that affected many platforms, including the F/A-18.

The rest of your post makes me certain that you don’t actually know what it can do. There isn’t a single drone capable of dog fighting. Not yet.

We don’t export that airplane. The reasons are both strategic and political.

The F-35 will be exported. Some partners will get the full suite of capabilities, and some will not, it’s all based on trust of that partner, and the export software package delivered will enable or disable various capabilities.

Japans threats are serious. They need both speed and endurance, which usually results in good range, too. They need to be able to loiter, spot small, fast targets, and move rapidly to intercept. The F-22 is ideal for their requirements.
I am wondering whether F15 EX is going to find its way to Japan? With CCP and Xi resembling “good ole” days of Brezhnev, there is a lot for Japanese to think about.

Has it. Is there anyone alive to tell you? ;)

One pilot died and the problem was fixed. There have been other issues with the environmental system, but those have also been addressed. These are extremely complicated systems so I'm not surprised that issues like this come up from time to time. I'd just hope that someone can learn without there being any fatalities.

And that's the other thing that bothers me about the way movies show military pilots flying in an uncompressed cockpit where they're going to need oxygen flying at high altitude. They often show pilots taking their masks off to talk, even though they would have a difficult time breathing. That - and pilots not wearing their visors unless they were the faceless enemy. I heard somewhere that some military pilots used to remove the masks to smoke at lower altitudes.

If you see the scenes from Top Gun: Maverick - they've at least used clear visors and the masks are always on.

Part of the problem was lack of emergency training. The "green ring" on the oxygen bottle was also changed so it could be easier to find and pull (especially with a gloved hand) if the pilot needed O2. I saw first hand that the emergency training sessions were pretty bad ... pilots just standing around talking about the procedures instead of actually getting in the emergency trainer to get muscle memory in an emergency situation. When hypoxia starts happening, everyone will react differently, and part of training needs to be able to recongnize the first signs of hypoxia and take appropriate action.

As a fully paying member of NATO, I hope so too.
Along with Poland, the UK pays it's 2% share. (y)
Well as the UK is the only 'level 1' partner, i sincerely hope we are getting the full fat version of the F35-B with nothing held back.

Being part of the same continent as the US, Canada's air superiority need is nothing like Japan's.
With the money saved by wiggling out of those F35s, I'd prefer to see Canada upgrade its fleet of war canoes & guard the Arctic Passage.
Sounds like Japan has similar requirement to us in Canada. Dual engine, long range. We had roughly 60 F35's ordered but a new government backed out because of dual engine and maintenance cost. If the Gripen had two engines we'd probably go with that. We'll probably end up with Super Hornets.

Back