Japan taking over the motorcycle industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: dr2152
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
So...did you not actually READ the post, or did you choose to ignore it when replying?

Yes I read the whole thing! I responded to one sentence that was a poor opinion on your part. Understand? Maybe have someone read it to you and they can explain it to you.

I understand fine: your neighbor is not all that bright and buys lousy vehicles. Again: if I need an extended warranty, that is not a bike I have any interest in owning!

So now Porsche makes lousy cars? Goldwings are bad because they need fixing? Corvettes are junk too? You never have a real answer do you? I think we see a pattern here.

Looks like there's only one way to settle this once and for all. Everyone who posted on here show up at an agreed upon location with their vehicle of choice. Then we will ride to the furthest location away from the starting point. Whatever vehicle be it car or motorcycle, that breaks down will then be deemed the worst ever made. It doesn't matter whether it's a flat tire, or you run out of gas, catches on fire, or gets washed away in a flood. This contest will continue until there's only 1 vehicle left. Until there is 1 undisputed winner. If you decide to quit the competition, it still counts as a breakdown and you and your vehicle loose. All that needs to be decided now is where do we start ?.,,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Looks like there's only one way to settle this once and for all. Everyone who posted on here show up at an agreed upon location with their vehicle of choice. Then we will ride to the furthest location away from the starting point. Whatever vehicle be it car or motorcycle, that breaks down will then be deemed the worst ever made. It doesn't matter whether it's a flat tire, or you run out of gas, catches on fire, or gets washed away in a flood. This contest will continue until there's only 1 vehicle left. Until there is 1 undisputed winner. If you decide to quit the competition, it still counts as a breakdown and you and your vehicle loose. All that needs to be decided now is where do we start ?.,,,

Road Trip!!!

These threads crack me up.. people arguing over senseless things like Harley VS Metric, and 5 VS 6 speed, and who has the most accurate speedometer?

Come on. The Japanese 4 and Harley both make top notch bikes. Who cares about the speedometer? just keep up with the flow of traffic. it isn't rocket science guys!!

Cahuna,
Some of them might be afraid to keep up, their speedos will be saying 82 as they pass cops but they are only doing 75!

Jarlaxel can throw around insults and theories, ignore and diminish the facts all he wants, numbers dont change and are factual. Unlike mindless insults and boloney. If someone presents me with a fact, I accept it and move on. I have no need to hurl [censored] at someone.

Im sorry but the poor guy on his new vstar 1300 thinks he is doing 75MPH on the highway and cars are running up his butt and cutting out at the last minute because those cars are doing a true 75 to 80 and while his speedometer reads 75, he is actually only doing in the upper 60s.
I consider that dangerous and the poor guy on the bike gets stressed out thinking everyone else is nuts riding up on him and passing him. A built in speedo error of almost 10% is not "a little".

To the other posters in here who say big deal, its not a big of a deal until someone starts endless mindless chatter trying to diminish the facts and tell the people presenting them they are nuts..

Last edited:
I doubt 5 speed transmissions have anything to do with the speedo error. Every bike I've owned has been a 6 speed, and everyone of them had about a 5-10% error. Both Japanese and Euro bikes. MCN lists the actual speed versus indicated at 65 MPH on every bike they review. At least they did until my subscription ran out a couple of years ago.

Speed readings can be all over the place based on where the speed sensors, or gear drives are. Alot of bikes used drive gears on the front wheel, which can wear or the speedometers become sticky causing in accurate readings. As the tire wears that can throw it off a little. Magnetic shavings stuck to the pickup sensors, will cause inaccurate readings. It doesn't seem too many mfgrs worry about it.I bet even police speedo's have a built in fudge factor, even when they say they are calibrated.,,,,

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
I doubt 5 speed transmissions have anything to do with the speedo error. Every bike I've owned has been a 6 speed, and everyone of them had about a 5-10% error. Both Japanese and Euro bikes. MCN lists the actual speed versus indicated at 65 MPH on every bike they review. At least they did until my subscription ran out a couple of years ago.

You (and Cahuna) maybe right but I think any reasonable person who experiences a vstar 1300 traveling at what he thinks is an indicated 80 MPH and as the engine is getting a little buzzy even at that low RPM for what the "engine is designed for" will be a bit disappointed to learn he is going only a true 73 MPH.
10% is not a little and no one can convince me that Yamaha can not build a bike that does not over state the speedo by almost 10% when companies like Harley (and I am sure some other quality brands do not)

Not to you but to another poster in here, I am not talking about a small 3% error but to discount all the people out there who think they are traveling at 75 MPH when in fact they are doing 68 MPH is a farce perpetrated on them by a corporation that is using this error margin to their benefit. ON top of it, the Vstar 1300 is a modern, late model bike.
Whether its MPGs, Transmission, Buzziness, whatever the reason, there is no reason for it on modern motorcycles as the ECM knows the speed of the bike. Im not talking decades old bikes here without ECMs.
Anyway, no big deal, just pointing out in this discussion of USA vs metric, that all modern Harley Cruisers tell the truth on the speedo with that magic 3% and dont exaggerate by 9%. They dont need to, their engine doesnt get "buzzy" at 80MPG like the vstar 1300 does. After all we seem to be comparing bikes in here, so lets all tell the truth and not hide behind insults and misinformation (again, not directed at you in anyway).
Ha, someone just posted the Kawi 900 speedo is way off too, seems to be the constant of the lower cc metric "cruiser" types bikes trying to compete with Harley.

Last edited:
Since it is also a constant with Japanese and Euro sportbikes, sport touring bikes and naked bikes, which aren't competing with HD in any way, shape, or form, I doubt that has anything to do with it either. Yamaha probably isn't concerned with losing R1 sales to HD cruisers. I suspect the reasons laid out earlier in the thread are accurate, because certainly, whoever Ducati, BMW, or Triumph buy speedos from could make them accurate. Every example I have owned or ridden was a 6 speed, weren't buzzy except very high in the RPM range, and nobody who buys them is concerned with fuel economy.

It does seem the speedo on my 2014 Speed Triple is the most accurate of anything else I have owned or ridden. Just judging from the flow of traffic I'd say it is probably within 2 or 3 MPH, but I haven't yet had radar confirmation of that. I know for certain my Tiger 1050 was off 9%.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: JonfromCB
I disagree. There is not an inherent issue with the design. That's as stupid as the obese person claiming their condition has nothing to do with their gluttony.

There are however too many people who own HDs and either can't afford the proper maintenance OR use cheap oil and don't change it....then cam chain issues appear....then the fools who couldn't afford to maintain their bikes in the first place add to the myth that something is wrong with the machine...and other fools who haven't owned one propagate that same nonsense as gospel.

Having ridden with lots of people on lots of different bikes over the last 46 years I can say with certainty, regardless of brand, it's the same fools that have repeated mechanical issues with their bikes over and over....from blowouts, to cam chain followers, to batteries, over and over, etc, etc, and the common reason over and over again is they really can't afford, or won't spend the money to do the proper maintenance how and when it needs to be done.

It's always funny to me that HD owners seem to whine the most about maintenance costs and BMW owners whine the least. And yet consistently it's people who have never owned a BMW or Harley (probably because they can't afford either) that will devote their pathetic lives to trying to convince others what crummy and expensive motorcycles they are....just look at the devoted pathetic [censored] in this thread,

In the words of Patrick Swazy in Road House...."Opinions vary". In my words..."especially from those who don't have any experience with what they are talking about.

If you think there are no design flaws with Harley engines, then you're as far out in
left field as the rest of the Harley guys...

Thanks for your opinion. Like I said "opinions vary" Here's one for you. I find your hatred of an inanimate object (ie: HD's) indicative of extreme jealousy and/or some other systemic disorder. If you need to hate something so bad, why not choose a disease or injustice instead of a machine? We all get it...you hate Harley's...so what? Go ride the bike of your choice, enjoy yourself, and give your pathetic obsession with this thread and your hatred a break. And I really mean this...have a nice day.

Originally Posted By: whip
I posted all of those videos earlier, but those are facts, and the Harley guys don't want anything to do with facts because they put their beloved brand in a bad light...they are content living in the world of make believe...

Meanwhile you make up stories about how Harleys are over priced. It's funny how you demand others believe facts, yet deny them yourself.

You apparently haven't priced any Harleys lately...nothing made up there...

Since it is also a constant with Japanese and Euro sportbikes, sport touring bikes and naked bikes, which aren't competing with HD in any way, shape, or form, I doubt that has anything to do with it either. Yamaha probably isn't concerned with losing R1 sales to HD cruisers. I suspect the reasons laid out earlier in the thread are accurate, because certainly, whoever Ducati, BMW, or Triumph buy speedos from could make them accurate. Every example I have owned or ridden was a 6 speed, weren't buzzy except very high in the RPM range, and nobody who buys them is concerned with fuel economy.

It does seem the speedo on my 2014 Speed Triple is the most accurate of anything else I have owned or ridden. Just judging from the flow of traffic I'd say it is probably within 2 or 3 MPH, but I haven't yet had radar confirmation of that. I know for certain my Tiger 1050 was off 9%.

I dont disgree in the sense there are two different classes of bikes people own in here and we are debating about speedo error and why.

We have the sport bike and sport touring guys saying big deal that the speedo is off. Well, that is ok if your ok with it. But there is absolutely no reason for it other then to for what ever reason ...

But the one place I guess you guys will never understand. I am from the cruiser side, seems like no one else in here is can say that, we are talking apple and oranges.

I owned 3 different "cruiser" style bikes in the last 7 years. The first two were metric cruisers from Japan.
I am WAY MORE qualified then others in here about "buzzy" without the 6th gear on traditional V-Twin style cruisers from Japan. So qualified I took it upon myself to fix the Vstar 1300 buzzy feeling by replacing the front belt pulley with one, one tooth larger.
Worked so well, that OTHERs in the forum have followed what I am done, to get rid of the buzzy feeling, interested too that with the buzzy feeling gone, the speedo is within normal automobile legal error of 3% instead of the 9% that it was. ( I believe that 3% is correct for the USA after a quick search, someone else can check)

You say Japan is not in competition with Harley. But lets not forget, Japan came after Harley with a vengeance and completely failed, fell on its face. It started early 1970 (most of you werent born yet. *L* With the Honda Cruiser types bikes.

Anyway, fast forward today. IN the last decade Japan has almost abandoned/withdrawn from the cruiser market. It truly fell flat on its face. Go back 10 to 15 years, research and look at the cruiser offerings from that time, from Japan, Yami strats, Kawi's, Suzuki's.

Fast forward to 14, 15, 16 ... research what is available, I bet less then half the offerings.
They just could not compete, plastics, cost cutting LACK of 6th gear, yet bikes like the Yami Stratoliners were not that much cheaper then the much more loaded Harleys.

SO the part that irked me most, that others have no idea about because they havent owned them, was the speedo error of 9%, making you think you were going fast when you were on a cruiser from Japan. The VTWIN bikes DO GET buzzy at GPS speeds of 75 to 80 MPH and thats ok if your someone who doesnt cruise at those speeds or rarely, but when you do almost every time your on the bike, eh.

There was one model from Japan that had the 6th. Kawasaki 1700. Liquid cooling too. I seriously looked into the Nomad. But in the last couple years they cut that lineup in half and now really only one version left.

Anyway, last post, bottom line, Japan did fail to take over the cruiser market in the USA, they did try to take it over from Harley, they did expend HUGE amounts of money trying over the last 3 to 4 decades and failed.
They do own the sport bike market now? I assume they do and honestly that maybe the place to be. IN our throwaway society, many of their sport bikes are like BIC lighters, use them, throw them away and NOTHING wrong with that if that is what sells, I wouldnt mind having one as a second bike, heck who knows, maybe one will be my next bike but if it is, it maybe BMW of Triumph, then again, lack of dealers here might mean, Japan.

Our society is throwaway, we dont or choose not to take trips like we used to, my thoughts are cruisers are made for couples, exploring, cruising and traveling interstate is where they shine, but sport bike and many cruisers now, travel around town and on weekends only, and then they take the SUV on trips. *L*

Bottomline, if you look at the cruiser bikes I owned over the last 7 years below, the 2 metrics from Japan that I OWNED had nothing to lose and EVERYTHING to gain by telling me I was going 8 (EIGHT) MPH faster then I was when on the highway. Because at those speeds if the speedo did not lie to me by the 8 MPH the engine was buzzy as it was and more so if you used a GPS.
Once this error was discovered by me, on each bike, I found in the forums the mods people were making to correct it. (It REALLYs easy to find in the forums, for the non believers of my posts, thing about me, I dont [censored], anything can be confirmed)

Anyway by Suzuki and Yamaha lying to me, having me THINK I was going 75 MPH when in fact I was going darn close to 68. So you pop a GPS on, do a true 75, speedo reads 82! Trust me, that little vtwin was buzzy, did it matter? NO, but did it sound like a little Asian Car with a tiny engine? Yes.

Its fact, documented and can be verifed by anyone going in those forums of people who truly do cruise on the interstate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whip
I posted all of those videos earlier, but those are facts, and the Harley guys don't want anything to do with facts because they put their beloved brand in a bad light...they are content living in the world of make believe...

Meanwhile you make up stories about how Harleys are over priced. It's funny how you demand others believe facts, yet deny them yourself.

You apparently haven't priced any Harleys lately...nothing made up there...

All of your prices were made up. Local dealer is offering 1k off Ultra Limited so base price is $25,999. Limited has all of the options. They had 5 for sale.

Haven't we already been over most of this stuff? If your speedo is 8 mph fast, ride 78 in a 70 zone. If you think something is an overpriced POS don't buy it. Stop all this 3rd grade sniping and go for a ride! Geez!

Wow, Alarmguy I think you could use a nap to take the edge off. The speedometer accuracy and the 5/6 speed gearbox have NO correlation. My 6-speed Honda does 70 MPH true at 75 indicated. That's 93.3% of indicated. And guess what? The odometer is less than 0.5% off. The sensor counts the distance accurately, but what's displayed on the speedometer is not. This has been the case for decades across all kinds of vehicles. Your Harley speedo is more accurate than your metric cruiser's? Great. Enjoy your warm fuzzy feelings. My BMW M3 sedan speedometer was within .5 MPH at 60. All my Japanese cars have been 2 MPH optimistic on the highway. Big deal.

Wooo. I'm Alarmguy. Look at me. My speedometer is accurate.

Wanker.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Wow, Alarmguy I think you could use a nap to take the edge off. The speedometer accuracy and the 5/6 speed gearbox have NO correlation. My 6-speed Honda does 70 MPH true at 75 indicated. That's 93.3% of indicated. And guess what? The odometer is less than 0.5% off. The sensor counts the distance accurately, but what's displayed on the speedometer is not. This has been the case for decades across all kinds of vehicles. Your Harley speedo is more accurate than your metric cruiser's? Great. Enjoy your warm fuzzy feelings. My BMW M3 sedan speedometer was within .5 MPH at 60. All my Japanese cars have been 2 MPH optimistic on the highway. Big deal.

Wooo. I'm Alarmguy. Look at me. My speedometer is accurate.

Wanker.

Wow, thanks for confirming what I'm saying, you have a six speed bike ...
You didn't buy a bike that sounds stressed out when it's traveling at a true 75 to 80 GPS. Well guess what??
Good for you and your 6 six speed.
There are people who spend their hard earned money that learned after they buy a 5 speed cruiser that to travel at a constant 75 to 78 MPH they have to make their speedometer say 82 to 85.
WHO THE HECK CARES IF THAT IS THE CASE? NO ONE!

Geez, what is the point your missing? It's not the speedo error, is the bike engine and the way it sounds when the speedo says 82 to 85, it's the unnatural vibrations that tell you the bike was not made to effortlessly run at these speeds.
God, grow up

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

I dont disgree in the sense there are two different classes of bikes people own in here and we are debating about speedo error and why.

We have the sport bike and sport touring guys saying big deal that the speedo is off. Well, that is ok if your ok with it. But there is absolutely no reason for it other then to for what ever reason ...

But the one place I guess you guys will never understand. I am from the cruiser side, seems like no one else in here is can say that, we are talking apple and oranges.

I owned 3 different "cruiser" style bikes in the last 7 years. The first two were metric cruisers from Japan.
I am WAY MORE qualified then others in here about "buzzy" without the 6th gear on traditional V-Twin style cruisers from Japan. So qualified I took it upon myself to fix the Vstar 1300 buzzy feeling by replacing the front belt pulley with one, one tooth larger.
Worked so well, that OTHERs in the forum have followed what I am done, to get rid of the buzzy feeling, interested too that with the buzzy feeling gone, the speedo is within normal automobile legal error of 3% instead of the 9% that it was. ( I believe that 3% is correct for the USA after a quick search, someone else can check)

You say Japan is not in competition with Harley. But lets not forget, Japan came after Harley with a vengeance and completely failed, fell on its face. It started early 1970 (most of you werent born yet. *L* With the Honda Cruiser types bikes.

Anyway, fast forward today. IN the last decade Japan has almost abandoned/withdrawn from the cruiser market. It truly fell flat on its face. Go back 10 to 15 years, research and look at the cruiser offerings from that time, from Japan, Yami strats, Kawi's, Suzuki's.

Fast forward to 14, 15, 16 ... research what is available, I bet less then half the offerings.
They just could not compete, plastics, cost cutting LACK of 6th gear, yet bikes like the Yami Stratoliners were not that much cheaper then the much more loaded Harleys.

SO the part that irked me most, that others have no idea about because they havent owned them, was the speedo error of 9%, making you think you were going fast when you were on a cruiser from Japan. The VTWIN bikes DO GET buzzy at GPS speeds of 75 to 80 MPH and thats ok if your someone who doesnt cruise at those speeds or rarely, but when you do almost every time your on the bike, eh.

There was one model from Japan that had the 6th. Kawasaki 1700. Liquid cooling too. I seriously looked into the Nomad. But in the last couple years they cut that lineup in half and now really only one version left.

Anyway, last post, bottom line, Japan did fail to take over the cruiser market in the USA, they did try to take it over from Harley, they did expend HUGE amounts of money trying over the last 3 to 4 decades and failed.
They do own the sport bike market now? I assume they do and honestly that maybe the place to be. IN our throwaway society, many of their sport bikes are like BIC lighters, use them, throw them away and NOTHING wrong with that if that is what sells, I wouldnt mind having one as a second bike, heck who knows, maybe one will be my next bike but if it is, it maybe BMW of Triumph, then again, lack of dealers here might mean, Japan.

Our society is throwaway, we dont or choose not to take trips like we used to, my thoughts are cruisers are made for couples, exploring, cruising and traveling interstate is where they shine, but sport bike and many cruisers now, travel around town and on weekends only, and then they take the SUV on trips. *L*

Bottomline, if you look at the cruiser bikes I owned over the last 7 years below, the 2 metrics from Japan that I OWNED had nothing to lose and EVERYTHING to gain by telling me I was going 8 (EIGHT) MPH faster then I was when on the highway. Because at those speeds if the speedo did not lie to me by the 8 MPH the engine was buzzy as it was and more so if you used a GPS.
Once this error was discovered by me, on each bike, I found in the forums the mods people were making to correct it. (It REALLYs easy to find in the forums, for the non believers of my posts, thing about me, I dont [censored], anything can be confirmed)

Anyway by Suzuki and Yamaha lying to me, having me THINK I was going 75 MPH when in fact I was going darn close to 68. So you pop a GPS on, do a true 75, speedo reads 82! Trust me, that little vtwin was buzzy, did it matter? NO, but did it sound like a little Asian Car with a tiny engine? Yes.

Its fact, documented and can be verifed by anyone going in those forums of people who truly do cruise on the interstate.

Wow. You can't even discuss shortcomings of other bikes with an HD guy without them finding an insult to their beloved MoCo.

Explain... Never mind, don't bother, I said it pages ago, I'm sure many people but not all understand, time to stop trying to explain a very simple issue and concept.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back