Status
Not open for further replies.
Over here they sell:

Mirage (small car)
ASX (crossover SUV)
Outlander (mid-size SUV)
Shogun (bigger SUV)
L200 (crew-cab pickup)

Whilst not common, you still see them about (especially the Outlander and its PHEV version). They appear to have just sold out the last of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X, not sure if or when a replacement is expected.

Originally Posted By: weasley
Over here they sell:

Mirage (small car)
ASX (crossover SUV)
Outlander (mid-size SUV)
Shogun (bigger SUV)
L200 (crew-cab pickup)

Whilst not common, you still see them about (especially the Outlander and its PHEV version). They appear to have just sold out the last of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X, not sure if or when a replacement is expected.

Here it's the subcompact Mirage, the compact Lancer (available with AWD), the Outlander (including a hybrid), and the Outlander Sport (ASX). My father in law is quite happy with his Mirage. (He has always exceeded the city mileage, even in the city, and regularly beat the highway MPG...winter tires did cost ~1.5MPG, however.)

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Don't they make that 4-door rally rice rocket?

The idiots quit that niche and they had some incredible performance small cars. They instead decided to build 3 cylinder loser mobiles at low price no one one wanted.

Thats because the EVOS were such garbage!

My buddy had an 06, bought for the wife. Numerous issues and once out of waranty, final straw was when rear diff exploded on the highway while she was driving to work. Was prompty traded in for a Jeep.

I like the Mirage. Lowest-cost car you could buy ($10,500) with a tiny 3-cylinder engine, which gave over 40 mpg.

Stay away from the winter tires.
The stock tires are low-rolling resistance, identical to the tires used on Honda's 70mpg Insight hybrid. The winter tires are not LRR.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Over here they sell:

Mirage (small car)
ASX (crossover SUV)
Outlander (mid-size SUV)
Shogun (bigger SUV)
L200 (crew-cab pickup)

Here it's the subcompact Mirage, the compact Lancer (available with AWD), the Outlander (including a hybrid), and the Outlander Sport (ASX). My father in law is quite happy with his Mirage. (He has always exceeded the city mileage, even in the city, and regularly beat the highway MPG...winter tires did cost ~1.5MPG, however.)

They stopped importing the AWD Lancer Evo. The Lancer itself was once a competitive car but now is a relic from 2006-07...

The knock I've heard against the mirage is sort of the same as Smart car. It's small and economical but also cheap and very not fun to drive. At least a small car should handle like a go cart, not a brick on roller skates...

I'd like to see Mitsubishi relaunch the 3000GT,but unfortunately it seems like the days of the Japanese exotics are long gone.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd like to see Mitsubishi relaunch the 3000GT,but unfortunately it seems like the days of the Japanese exotics are long gone.

And there used to be so many to choose from!

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

And there used to be so many to choose from!

God I know huh! That was my favorite car generation,the 1990s Japanese exotics.

Motorweek 1996

Here's a fun clip from a 1996 Japanese movie. Japan has some crazy looking highways!!

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Over here they sell:

Mirage (small car)
ASX (crossover SUV)
Outlander (mid-size SUV)
Shogun (bigger SUV)
L200 (crew-cab pickup)

They stopped importing the AWD Lancer Evo. The Lancer itself was once a competitive car but now is a relic from 2006-07...

The knock I've heard against the mirage is sort of the same as Smart car. It's small and economical but also cheap and very not fun to drive. At least a small car should handle like a go cart, not a brick on roller skates...

No, they offer a regular Lancer with AWD.

Mitsubishi were the 6th best selling brand of vehicle in Oz for 2016, beating Nissan, Volkswagen, Subaru, Honda, Mercedes Benz, etc. They have a solid reputation here, with competitive prices, a 5 year warranty and long service intervals. There is a dealer in just about every major town. I've owned 3 over the years and not had a single issue with any of them. Honestly don't understand the Mitsi bashing that occurs from time to time on BITOG. Maybe the US had some troublesome models in the past that we didn't get here?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm puzzled about the Mitsi bashing too, not not just the US, they do it here as well. There are somethings I really don't like about them...balance shafts for a start, complicated front suspensions (the Aussie Diamante was much better), but every car make has something I can moan about. And I can't understand the homage paid to Toyota, they are as unreliable as any Mitsubishi. Got laugh when a Mitsi trans goes, and everyone says what a [censored] trans they make...when the same trans is used in a Toyota they say that's unusual.

As hpb says, down here Mitsi outsell Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Mazda and a whole lot more.

The MPG sticker on my Lancer Ralliart was very accurate. It claimed 17 City and 25 Highway, and requires premium gasoline. I get exactly those numbers.

When I finally get my legal settlement that I have been waiting for, I will be trading up a 2012 or later Evo X. That is because these cars were full of design flaws and gradually got better over time. Some car models were unreliable from beginning to end of production, some car models had bugs worked out over time, and some car models were perfect from beginning to end. The Evo X is that way.

Mitsubishi stopped selling the Evo X because other companies were building better rally cars while the Evo X was becoming outdated. The Ford Focus RS, VW Golf R, and Subaru WRX were getting GDI engines which made more horsepower and better fuel economy while producing less turbo lag.

You can only evolve something for so long, and getting to 10 is pretty good. The Evo is a sophisticated car, but it's been around a long time, Mitsi are no longer into rallies, and the rally car has moved on...time to drop the Evo. I did a cambelt and alt on an Evo 9 last week, an unmolested car, nice to drive.

Originally Posted By: Silk
You can only evolve something for so long, and getting to 10 is pretty good. The Evo is a sophisticated car, but it's been around a long time, Mitsi are no longer into rallies, and the rally car has moved on...time to drop the Evo. I did a cambelt and alt on an Evo 9 last week, an unmolested car, nice to drive.
The Evo 10 was nothing like the 8 and 9. The whole platform was changed. Many people did not like the Evo 10 because it was significantly larger and heavier than the Evo 8 and 9.

Also, as I remember, the Evo 1-6 were also on a different platform than the 7-9.

The rally car isn't dead, it is just dead for Mitsubishi. Ford and Subaru continue to make them.

The rally car certainly isn't dead, and here in New Zealand the Evo is still one of the most popular rally cars...but WRC is a different story, and has gone beyond what the Evo is. It's the Lancer Evolution and has evolved over the years, but the 4G63 stayed until the Evo X, when it got the 4B11.

I did a PD on a Lancer GTi today...took it for a spin up the road. Nice car.

pre-delivery inspection?

Working for a mitsu dealer again?

Likewises, Mitsubishi aren't prefect but there's a lot worse to buy these days. And considering their price, they're definitely something I would consider. Easy to work on if you should desire to but then they don't break all that much. Espcially a FWDlancer, where the most likely thing to fail are the rear ABS sensors, after about a decade. I like the way they handle aswell. Not unlike my alfa, but with less comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back