South Korean prosecutors raid Hyundai's office in recall probe

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/south-korean-prosecutors-raid-office-023600520.html

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korean prosecutors on Wednesday raided the office of Hyundai Motor Co's quality division in southern Seoul as part of a probe into how the automaker and affiliate Kia Motors Corp handled vehicle recalls over engine defects, online media Chosun Biz reported.

In 2017, South Korean civic group YMCA filed a complaint with prosecutors alleging the automakers delayed fixing engine defects that prompted massive recalls in Korea and the United States. Hyundai and Kia have denied the allegations.

Hyundai, which shares the quality division with Kia, and the prosecutor's office did not have immediate comment.

The automakers are also being investigated by U.S. safety regulators and prosecutors over the recall of nearly 1.7 million vehicles related to engine defects in the United States.

(Reporting by Hyunjoo Jin and Heekyong Yang; Editing by Christopher Cushing)

Interesting but I would caution the Hyundai haters here that until proven guilty this means nothing...
Sometimes it's just media spin to sell the story and it turns out that yes it's being investigated but it isn't epic as the sensational factor makes it seem.

Thanks for posting wemay!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I posted it because i usually post stories like this for other makes. Turnaround is fair play.

...and you're welcome StevieC

LOL, no, i didn't take it that way at all either. I was just expanding on your point.
cheers3.gif

I would not classify raiding the offices as "yes, it's being investigated". When the offices are being raided, a lot of investigation has already taken place and now the authorities want to seize any evidence they can get their hands on before it gets destroyed by, you know, "scheduled maintenance".
wink.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
Interesting but I would caution the Hyundai haters here that until proven guilty this means nothing...
Sometimes it's just media spin to sell the story and it turns out that yes it's being investigated but it isn't epic as the sensational factor makes it seem.

thumbsup2.gif

In the US innocent until proven guilty. We don't know about Korean Law.

I think that it is a good thing they did the raid… After all the stories that I have heard about Hyundai and Kia not honoring engine warranties, this was long overdue.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I would not classify raiding the offices as "yes, it's being investigated". When the offices are being raided, a lot of investigation has already taken place and now the authorities want to seize any evidence they can get their hands on before it gets destroyed by, you know, "scheduled maintenance".
wink.gif

It's the news agencies here that used "Raided". Did investigators use that language? I'm sure they didn't storm in guns blazing with some sort of SWAT team versus arriving unannounced with some sort of warrant to search and confiscate records from the place (or however their system works there). But that doesn't "sell" the news does it?

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_business/882908.html - Right from Korea
The Supreme Prosecutors' Office (SPO) of Korea sent investigators to the quality control department of Hyundai Motor headquarters in Seoul on Feb. 20. The automaker is under suspicion of covering up car defects and for violating recall regulations. Investigators confiscated key files and documents in relation to the case, an SPO official reported. The investigation was requested by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport in May 2017 after the ministry suspected that the automaker was concealing defects to avoid a mass recall.

Last edited:
Yes, I don't like the brand bashers on here at all. All it does is attempt to belittle another person for their vehicle choice and prop themselves up. If you want to feel better there are better ways to do it. So far I had to put at least two people on ignore since it became so bad.

Originally Posted by JLTD

thumbsup2.gif

In the US innocent until proven guilty. We don't know about Korean Law.

I think that it is a good thing they did the raid… After all the stories that I have heard about Hyundai and Kia not honoring engine warranties, this was long overdue.

This has nothing to do with honoring warranty work. Which btw, i've had first hand experience to show that statement is a broad generalization. I've seen where they honored warranty work when it wasn't even merited.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Yes, I don't like the brand bashers on here at all. All it does is attempt to belittle another person for their vehicle choice and prop themselves up. If you want to feel better there are better ways to do it. So far I had to put at least two people on ignore since it became so bad.

100% agree with you.

A lot of the brand bias is in the media. You won't hear much about this in the US. Now if it was Tesla they would be interrupting regular programming.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
wink.gif

It's the news agencies here that used "Raided". Did investigators use that language? I'm sure they didn't storm in guns blazing with some sort of SWAT team versus arriving unannounced with some sort of warrant to search and confiscate records from the place (or however their system works there). But that doesn't "sell" the news does it?

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_business/882908.html - Right from Korea
The Supreme Prosecutors' Office (SPO) of Korea sent investigators to the quality control department of Hyundai Motor headquarters in Seoul on Feb. 20. The automaker is under suspicion of covering up car defects and for violating recall regulations. Investigators confiscated key files and documents in relation to the case, an SPO official reported. The investigation was requested by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport in May 2017 after the ministry suspected that the automaker was concealing defects to avoid a mass recall.

It is still a raid man. Let''s not use hollywood movies as real life examples here. If the authorities show up at your doorstep with a warrant and then proceed inside, search the place and take whatever they need, your house has been raided.

Thanks for posting. Overall I love my 2017 Elantra. But there is a big question mark if the engine can go high miles and I have one of their better engines. It is painful reading some Theta II threads at Hyundai-Forums. I hope this sheds light on the situation.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Thanks for posting. Overall I love my 2017 Elantra. But there is a big question mark if the engine can go high miles and I have one of their better engines. It is painful reading some Theta II threads at Hyundai-Forums. I hope this sheds light on the situation.

Me too. I've had great results from both, the 2.4L (of which this is my third) and the 2.0T which currently has near 150K miles without a single issue. None of the 2.4L were kept past 88K miles but they didn't give me any trouble. I plan on keeping the Sportage for at least as long as the Santa Fe 2.0T. They've been great vehicles and i have no doubt they'll last.

Originally Posted by wemay
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/south-korean-prosecutors-raid-office-023600520.html
SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korean prosecutors on Wednesday raided the office of Hyundai Motor Co's quality division in southern Seoul as part of a probe into how the automaker and affiliate Kia Motors Corp handled vehicle recalls over engine defects, online media Chosun Biz reported.
In 2017, South Korean civic group YMCA filed a complaint with prosecutors alleging the automakers delayed fixing engine defects that prompted massive recalls in Korea and the United States. Hyundai and Kia have denied the allegations.
Hyundai, which shares the quality division with Kia, and the prosecutor's office did not have immediate comment.
The automakers are also being investigated by U.S. safety regulators and prosecutors over the recall of nearly 1.7 million vehicles related to engine defects in the United States.
(Reporting by Hyunjoo Jin and Heekyong Yang; Editing by Christopher Cushing)

Y M C A
No fun to get sued by the
Y M C A
;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back