South Korean prosecutors raid Hyundai's office in recall probe

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the Samsung scandal in South Korea and the ties between their government and the chaebols(Samsung, LG, Hyundai, SK and Hyosung are a few examples), people are holding Seoul to a higher standard.

Whistleblowers are also punished by the Korean government. Just like the yakuza is a fact of life in Japan.

Originally Posted by nthach
After the Samsung scandal in South Korea and the ties between their government and the chaebols(Samsung, LG, Hyundai, SK and Hyosung are a few examples), people are holding Seoul to a higher standard.

Whistleblowers are also punished by the Korean government. Just like the yakuza is a fact of life in Japan.

My sister made the unfortunate mistake of buying a Samsung washer and dryer, which were both junk. I've had my American made Speed Queen for over 10 years trouble free.

For years there was a 2001 RX300 in the garage. Transmission shed metal and was a sludge prone engine. It was not cheap or perfect. There are a lot of manufactures that have problem motors or transmissions. It is how the issue is handled that sets them apart.

Originally Posted by KrisZ

It is still a raid man. Let''s not use hollywood movies as real life examples here. If the authorities show up at your doorstep with a warrant and then proceed inside, search the place and take whatever they need, your house has been raided.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/raid

NOUN
1A rapid surprise attack on an enemy by troops, aircraft, or other armed forces.

‘a bombing raid'

1.1 A rapid surprise attack to commit a crime, especially to steal from business premises.
‘an early morning raid on a bank'

1.2 A surprise visit by police to arrest suspects or seize illicit goods.
‘a police raid on his home'

1.3 Stock Market A hostile attempt to buy a major or controlling interest in the shares of a company.

It's a bit of a strong word for showing up un-announced to seize records for an investigation. Especially when Korean news didn't see it that way but just the Sensationalized North American news agencies did.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Silverado12
You get what you get when you buy and support bottom of the line, cheapest of the cheap products.

You're right, that ignition switch debacle was something else. But like all brands, Chevy isn't alone in having the occasional issue. I would let it go and ease up on saying Chevy is the "cheapest of the cheap".

I think that Chevy/GM does have some good engines and setups but it just seems the bean counters get the best of the company and they worry about a few bucks per model versus it paying them dividends in happy repeat customers. This is based on decades of seeing their products. I also don't understand why it takes them forever to fix a known problem. Intake gaskets for example.

The interiors also need to stop with the plastics. I was in a Silverado 2500 HD the other day and it was a plastic factory and the ride was brutal compared to the Ram 2500's

I would buy a full size Chevy van with the V8, a Corvette, or the older 4.3 V6, also the 3800 Series, the 3400 series or the older V6 found in the spaceship looking van of the late 80's early 90's Can't remember the name of it at the moment.

Chrysler up until the 2000's IMO was producing absolute junk with the exception of a few models that were great. Then the quality got better and better with time.
(we are mainly a Chrysler family with a bit of Hyundai a few Toyota's and a few GM's)

Ford always has been good for the most part but has its occasional blunders here/there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
You get what you get when you buy and support bottom of the line, cheapest of the cheap products.

You're right, that ignition switch debacle was something else. But like all brands, Chevy isn't alone in having the occasional issue. I would let it go and ease up on saying Chevy is the "cheapest of the cheap".

Oh my.

It is still a raid man. Let''s not use hollywood movies as real life examples here. If the authorities show up at your doorstep with a warrant and then proceed inside, search the place and take whatever they need, your house has been raided.

The first investigators may not have brought guns, but if Hyundai didn't let them in they're not going away. They would escalate to as much force as it takes.

My sister made the unfortunate mistake of buying a Samsung washer and dryer, which were both junk. I've had my American made Speed Queen for over 10 years trouble free.

Don't buy LG either, unless you enjoy replacing $130 circuit boards!

Originally Posted by StevieC

I would buy a full size Chevy van with the V8, a Corvette, or the older 4.3 V6, also the 3800 Series, the 3400 series or the older V6 found in the spaceship looking van of the late 80's early 90's Can't remember the name of it at the moment.

Lumina APV

[Linked Image]

I had a Gold Star TV in my younger days that was junk also.

Why are your panties in a bunch over Korean made products?

Originally Posted by JLTD
Interesting but I would caution the Hyundai haters here that until proven guilty this means nothing...
Sometimes it's just media spin to sell the story and it turns out that yes it's being investigated but it isn't epic as the sensational factor makes it seem.

Thanks for posting wemay!
thumbsup2.gif

In the US innocent until proven guilty. We don't know about Korean Law.

I think that it is a good thing they did the raid… After all the stories that I have heard about Hyundai and Kia not honoring engine warranties, this was long overdue.

This has nothing to do with honoring warranty work. Which btw, i've had first hand experience to show that statement is a broad generalization. I've seen where they honored warranty work when it wasn't even merited.

Sure IS about not honoring warranty work....says right in the description if you read it.

And I am not saying that Hyundai/Kia didn't honor some warranties; they did, and have gone above and beyond in many cases.

Problem is this has been going on for years; I remember in about 2004 the local Kia dealer was offering Kia Rios for around $13k....and you could buy a second one for $1....that's right ONE DOLLAR. This was when their engines were lasting 25-35k miles, and the non honoring of warranties was occurring. I talked with one guy who lost his engine with less than 30k miles...all oil changes on time or early at the dealership, and they still denied his engine warranty. He was fighting it ... I don't know how it came out as we lost touch.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Lumina APV

[Linked Image]

Yeah that's it... Thanks...

Originally Posted by madRiver
I had a Gold Star TV in my younger days that was junk also.

Why are your panties in a bunch over Korean made products?

Haha...

I have three Samsung TVs, an LG fridge and two Korean vehicles...all reliable. Sorry to burst bubbles. Granted, our Hot Point fridge lasted 25 years.

Originally Posted by mk378

The first investigators may not have brought guns, but if Hyundai didn't let them in they're not going away. They would escalate to as much force as it takes.

We don't know how it works outside of the US. When the authorities make a visit to a corporation's headquarters or an office, it's almost always the FBI with mutual aid from the local police acting on a warrant.

I have a 3400 that had the intake problem the first year.It is a Pontiac Grand Am! All of the GMs had the intake problems and the key problem. Do not pick only on Chevrolet, although I had a Sububan that had three engines before it was out of warranty. What GM did on the key problem was criminal. The GA was my daughters first car, bought it for her when she was 15.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Yes, I don't like the brand bashers on here at all. All it does is attempt to belittle another person for their vehicle choice and prop themselves up. If you want to feel better there are better ways to do it. So far I had to put at least two people on ignore since it became so bad.

100% agree with you.

I agree too.

Let it go. It ain't that blanking important what someone else likes, runs, and or buys...

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Yes, I don't like the brand bashers on here at all. All it does is attempt to belittle another person for their vehicle choice and prop themselves up. If you want to feel better there are better ways to do it. So far I had to put at least two people on ignore since it became so bad.

100% agree with you.

I agree too.

Let it go. It ain't that blanking important what someone else likes, runs, and or buys...

^^^ couldn't agree more, it's really getting old. I've tossed out an occasional joke, but don't bomb every thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back