James Caan has passed

I liked his style. Obviously The Godfather was his huge hit but in earlier years he played the role of Mississippi in El Dorado. Him trying out that sawed off double barrel was funny. Then when he had to shoot it in real time the kick of the gun projected the buckshot at a sign hanging above the villain which then hit the villain. In the end he shot John Wayne in the rear with that gun.

Eraser was another movie he was good in.

Reactions: GON
Was that the movie where Caan had to burn his house down and fake his death, in order to allow his family to live in peace, at the end?

I remember him in that movie, forget the title.

Another good one gone. He was a great actor. Thief is one of my favorite movies. I am sorry to hear about this. RIP

Was that the movie where Caan had to burn his house down and fake his death, in order to allow his family to live in peace, at the end?

I remember him in that movie, forget the title.
Thief is the title. In the end he sends his wife and son away then blows up the house. Then he breaks into the bad guys' house and shoots them. There is a lot more to the story than that though, and the safecracking and scrap yard scenes have some very cool content to watch with the different tools used. Michael Mann directed the movie so it has great photography too. Tangerine Dream did the entire soundtrack. Thief is a great movie with a "good guy does not take any abuse from the bad guy and good guy wins in the end" type of theme.

Last edited:
I was told his fluid kicking scene in 'The Godfather' was a product of his dancing training. I believe he's been in the background in many a movie.

I'm no Godfather Groupie but did like the film and have seen it on TV as much as anybody and I swear the kicking scene in the street has been shortened quite a bit. I will jump on the chance to see a "director's cut" of the film. As I recall his kicking the crud out of the guy who beat his sister (I think) was a tad long. I did like the fact that he bit the guy's hand to get him to release his grip on the railing....sincerity.

"....and if you touch my sister again, I'll kill you." Well, duhhhhhhh

passed on Apocalypse Now?
good thing. Can't imagine anyone but Mister Sheen being that guy.
then again maybe he passed on being Col. Kurtz?
rip Mister Caan. Thank you for the entertainment.

Back