Jacobsen hydraulic fluid compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
Brand Newbie here, so please be patient if this has been discussed many times!!!
I am looking for a substitute transmission fluid for a Jacobsen hydraulic mower. Everything is hydraulic, deck motors, cylinders and axial motors. The pumps are a mix of axial swash plate and gear.
It holds 76 liters of hydraulic fluid.
Here is all the information I have:
2003 Jacobsen HR 5111 4wd.
50hp Kubota v2203 motor.
Hydraulically driven steering, deck motors, lifts and drive system, sharing the same reservoir.
Hydraulic oil:
Textron Turf Care and specialty products hydraulic fluid.
Part # 2500546 - biodegradable.
Part # 502693 - non bio. (older spec)
The manual simply states 10w30 hydraulic oil. The Jacobsen part numbers listed above run $200-$240 per 5 gallon pail. The motors are Eaton/ Charr-Lynn series 2000, but I'm not yet sure of the pump(s) names.
Please anyone, help to confirm a more reasonable compatibility to a non biodegradable, mineral based product.
Thanks!!

Possibly this one in ISO68.

http://renewablelube.com/TDS/Bio-Fleet%20Hydraulic%20Fluids%20ISO%2022,%2032,%2046,%2068.pdf

I would contact RLI for consultation.

I would think an ISO 46 should fit the bill. My suggestion would be John Deere HyGard, and if a biodegradeable fluid is required Deere offers one also.

Thanks for the reply's and help. I've had recommendations to use regular 10w30 motor oil.
The though being that the Hygard or ISO rated hydraulic fluids don't have enough lubricity / friction additives for the axial piston pump(s).
I'm hoping to get a great discussion going about motor oil vs. ISO Hydraulic fluid vs. universal tractor fluid.
There is no need for a biodegradable product.
Thanks again!!
Andrew

GO WITH WHAT THE OEM SPECS. Hydraulic fluid. Most all companies are now specing with ISO grades. This application would be iso 68.
The JD Hygard that roadrunner1 suggests will work or Schaeffers #315 Simplex also crosses here.
Hydraulic fluid........

Great advice folks, thanks!!
The OEM tech just got back to me and yes, you guys were correct!

Aside from their biodegradable product$$$$$, they recommend VG ISO 46 Hydraulic Fluid. ISO 68 is also just fine for hotter temps.

They DO NOT recommend Universal tractor Hydraulic fluid.
You guys are a great bunch and I appreciate your help!!
I am also impressed with the manufacture for getting back to me and being so forthcoming with an alternative.
All the best,
Andrew

Slightly off topic here, but does anyone have a link to a page or site that compares viscosity ratings of single grade and multigrade engine oil to the common grades of hydraulic oils when used at higher temps than those in a typical water cooled engine application?

For example what would the actual operating viscosity of 20W50 vs straight 30 wt oil vs a hydraulic oil be IN USE when each is run at temps up to and over 200 degrees as might be the case in a heavily worked air-cooled hydrostatic transaxle?. thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goodolboy
Slightly off topic here, but does anyone have a link to a page or site that compares viscosity ratings of single grade and multigrade engine oil to the common grades of hydraulic oils when used at higher temps than those in a typical water cooled engine application?

For example what would the actual operating viscosity of 20W50 vs straight 30 wt oil vs a hydraulic oil be IN USE when each is run at temps up to and over 200 degrees as might be the case in a heavily worked air-cooled hydrostatic transaxle?. thanks

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

OK, but don't accept the myth that just because one fluid has the same viscosity as another that it is acceptable for use in another application.

Each fluid is designed for a specific application with different base oils and additives for that application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back