I've put wrong oil.

Couldn't believe my self this morning. My van was low on oil and I've top it with USED gear oil. After two litre I noticed the gear oil smell . (Nonoriginal jug).Dropped the plug and made a OC without filter. Bloody stress!

Couldn't believe my self this morning. My van was low on oil and I've top it with USED gear oil. After two litre I noticed the gear oil smell . (Nonoriginal jug).Dropped the plug and made a OC without filter. Bloody stress!
So you saved your used gear oil in some container other than a large(er) waste oil container, and that container was so similar in shape and size that you confused it with a new motor oil container? Or, you keep your new motor oil in a "non-original" container that is similar or identical to the used gear oil container?

And you put a whole two liters in before noticing? That's really something.

Not to harp but 2L low? Seems like quite a bit low--most engines not being worked hard won't care but still, just seems low to me (unless if your van holds a couple gallons). Still. We've all had bad days. Last couple of oil changes for me have made huge messes, either the oil hit the pan and splashed out (first time in decades!) or an o-ring wasn't seated and the filter gushed oil down my driveway.

Life happens.

you must have had some good used gear oil. My used gear oils are typically dark brown or black.

I'll try explain my self better..
What I did is that I've left original Total 5L jug after I've done OC in my 4x4 Nissan. Later on I swapped my gearbox oil in the same vehicle and poured the old staff in that same container (4 L of oil) to be recycled at some point. Oil was/is very clean, yellow in colour as it was used only for 6 months. So yesterday when I was topping up I just took the open jug... Didn't noticed anything before the smell hit my nose. It was 6 in the morning. Lesson learned , mark jugs with used stuff. Peugeot Expert 2018 does have 2.5 litre between min and max mark.

Ha, good one. Yeah, I could easily do that too, waste oil goes back into the same container and I could see myself doing the same thing.

Whew. I KNOW this is something I would do - which is why I keep large ungainly waste oil containers for my waste oil! Even my sleep deprived brain can’t mix those up.

I know this guy that had a old pinto that used oil really bad cause the engine was just wore out. He ran out if oil one day and only thing he had was gear oil. Then drive it another 2 months on it and rebuilt the engine.

Hey man it’s all good been there and done that I’ve also seen more catastrophic experiences too lol 😂. A friend was tricked into putting water in his gas tank once that’s a long story lol. Once my fellow coworker put ATF in a differential luckily he realized before sending the car out the door the customer got a free gasket out of it because he wanted to do it right so he took the cover off to make sure he got all of it out of there.

Back