I've never liked tinted windows but its just too hot. I gave in.

I was thinking the same thing. Our '19 CR-V was basic with little to no tint. It also needed tires. Instead of tint and tires, it got traded. We drove it 3 years and got our money back. The new Tucson has plenty of tint. It's pretty lame for Honda not to tint the LX trims better.

You do realize the OEM tint is just tinted glass and offers ZERO UV or heat rejection? It's basically just privacy glass.

The reduction in heat is minimal at best; it is mostly perception.

Signed,
Guy who has “high-end” ceramic tint on all 3 vehicles.

They make meters that will meter the reduction. My installer has one and it does what it says. He metered both how dark the tint is and the reduction of heat in front of me.

These are the Rayno films....the Autobahn i3 are pretty much the same.

Clear Glass, No Tint = 265 btu
Standard S5 Carbon Ceramic 20% Tint = 140 btu
Premium S9 Carbon Ceramic 20% Tint = 33 btu
Platinum 7090 70% Tint = 62 btu

1660834483954.jpg

1660834511239.jpg

1660834531798.jpg

1660834550354.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve lived in Texas my whole life. It’s been many years since I’ve had vehicle windows tinted. Any heat reduction is minimal at best, and that’s with the newer ceramic tints.

I’m not saying window tint doesn’t help in terms of heat reduction, but it’s very insignificant in the real world. IMO window tint is used more for privacy and the cool factor.
If your car is parked, then yes, it's not that significant, since it's going to get hot inside anyway.

While you're driving the car, the windows that have tint, especially the ceramic tint, you won't feel the solar radiation radiating from the glass as much, so your comfort improves and the AC won't have to work as hard to keep things at temperature.

You do realize the OEM tint is just tinted glass and offers ZERO UV or heat rejection? It's basically just privacy glass.
Window Glass, protects against UV-B, not not UV-A, even the clear glass has this inherent protection.

But yes, I have all of my privacy glass and panoramic sunroof glass with ceramic tint on top of it.

I've seen that long ago, but don't see it here at all. They also made one with a "Silver fade" at the bottom, which I thought would look good on my car. Haven't seen that one in ages either.
Some of those reflective ones have been made illegal I think.

HUH? I was just looking up some tints restrictions for Florida (25% reflective OK in front, so bottom 1/4) Anyway, it said that legal tint is required to have a sticker on the drivers side door jam identifying it!
I never knew that.

Last edited:
If the day is calm and hot, vent visors won't do much.

There has to be enough wind to get the air moving inside and out of the car.
I have them and find they do help some. I go on the theory warm air rises and if the windows are open a bit the rising warm air will push the warmest air out the gap. Maybe just fooling myself but it works to give me the perception of a little less hot so I'll keep it. But yes, a breezy day is better.

Had 20% put on the front windows and it matches precisely what Ford put on the rear windows on the Maverick plus a 5% windshield eye-brow tint. In my mind (a scary place) it does reduce cabin heat . We had a string of 100° days this summer a couple of times. When I go out running around on errands getting back in after a half hour is not horrible, plus the A/C cools the cabin very quickly using only 5 out of the 7 fan speeds. Have not used the MAX A/C setting because its never been needed. When driving around sunset the tint makes sunsets real pretty on the side windows.

When I had the 2018 F-150 the tinting I had done worked great. Especially the tint on the rear window of the regular cab. It was 35% and even did a decent job across the great southwest trip in the middle of summer of 2019. .

Had 20% put on the front windows and it matches precisely what Ford put on the rear windows on the Maverick plus a 5% windshield eye-brow tint. In my mind (a scary place) it does reduce cabin heat . We had a string of 100° days this summer a couple of times. When I go out running around on errands getting back in after a half hour is not horrible, plus the A/C cools the cabin very quickly using only 5 out of the 7 fan speeds. Have not used the MAX A/C setting because its never been needed. When driving around sunset the tint makes sunsets real pretty on the side windows.

When I had the 2018 F-150 the tinting I had done worked great. Especially the tint on the rear window of the regular cab. It was 35% and even did a decent job across the great southwest trip in the middle of summer of 2019. .

Depending on the film you or your installer decided on, it could range from having zero heat rejection to about 70%.

Depending on the film you or your installer decided on, it could range from having zero heat rejection to about 70%.
Seems to have plenty for me. On 100° days after initial cooldown, which is brief, the fan speed is usually at 2 or 3 with the temp set at 74°. I have had only marginal issues with the fronts being to dark. After driving cars for 50+ years with no tint, I have found I appreciate the reduction of brightness (blonde hair and blue eyes) just as much as the observed reduction of heat.

I always thought tint was coolness factor until I spent time in the desert. Wow! What a difference with 3M crystalline. It doesn't keep the heat out but it sure does slow it down (with a/c on).

On the other hand, I've seen lots of cars at the wrecking yard with purple tint peeling off. Turns out the cheap stuff uses dye which doesn't last.

Can you share your general location a bit more?

Ive used Formula 1 Pinnacle tint on all my previous cars it makes a difference when you have intense sun. Much more comfortable in a tinted car vs the fishbowl. I've never paid over $300 for it, I wouldn't spend near 1k on it.

All tint companies have data sheets so you can compare.
10 years ago, it was $400-$500 to tint a Honda Civic sized vehicle with F1 Pinnacle. Nowadays it is 1.5-2x that price.

Looking at the specs for F1 Pinnacle, there are better performing nano-ceramic films out there today. LLumar's STRATOS nano-ceramic line looks to be on par with Rayno's and AutoBahn's nano-ceramic lines in terms of performance.

10 years ago, it was $400-$500 to tint a Honda Civic sized vehicle with F1 Pinnacle. Nowadays it is 1.5-2x that price.

I just paid $480 to have my Crosstrek done in AutoBahn's i3 nano-ceramic film. This car has 11 panes of glass that had to be tinted....I didn't do the windshield either.

Before moving to TX I never had tint, there was no real need for that. 3 weeks after moving to TX, I got tint all around on both cars, my left arm was getting sunburns :)

Both cars in sig have ceramic all around, including windshields, and yes you can feel the difference. Volt is the darkest you can legally get here, Mitsu has 1 shade lighter for the front side windows. I found it is too dark in Volt during nighttime and especially when it rains ( I have to crack open window to see sometimes in those conditions).

Back