I've never liked tinted windows but its just too hot. I gave in.

The reduction in heat is minimal at best; it is mostly perception.

Signed,
Guy who has “high-end” ceramic tint on all 3 vehicles.

Bummed to hear this, but happy to know the truth before I go off and do it.

There's a reduction in glare and some minor reduction in heat (while cruising down the road), but not $700-1000 worth.

If you want the aesthetics, privacy and some minor heat reduction....go for it. But if you are only doing it for heat reduction, you will probably be sorely disappointed. I have tried 3M Ceramic IR, Crystalline, Huper Optik and Llumar CTX....similar experiences.

Makes driving in Texas bearable. I won't do without it. 35 sides (law), 20 quarters, 5 rear. It can make backing up in a dark parking garage difficult, but it's worth it. It also takes away the sensation that I'm driving around in a fish bowl.

I understand it won't work in every situation or everyone's needs

that's why i'm using these

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 7.12.53 PM.png

Last edited:
That is not the truth. Watch the video I posted and research 3M crystalline film. It makes a SIGNIFICANT difference in heat infiltration. Nothing is going to stop a car becoming an oven when sitting out in the southwest sun for a few hours but I guarantee the A/C is going to have my car with that film much more comfortable much more quickly than the biased individuals talking it down with no evidence or experience.

That is not the truth. Watch the video I posted and research 3M crystalline film. It makes a SIGNIFICANT difference in heat infiltration. Nothing is going to stop a car becoming an oven when sitting out in the southwest sun for a few hours but I guarantee the A/C is going to have my car with that film much more comfortable much more quickly than the biased individuals talking it down with no evidence or experience.
My truck has 3M Crystalline 70 on the front windshield and two front doors. Rear windows and rear slider have 3M Ceramic IR 35 over the factory privacy glass.

Is there a noticeable reduction in glare? Yes. Is it cooler than a truck that doesn't have tint? When parked, no. Once driving, very minimal difference.

For $1k, there are probably better things to spend your money on.

Ive used Formula 1 Pinnacle tint on all my previous cars it makes a difference when you have intense sun. Much more comfortable in a tinted car vs the fishbowl. I've never paid over $300 for it, I wouldn't spend near 1k on it.

All tint companies have data sheets so you can compare.

Both the ceramic and metallic tints I had made a noticeable difference. Yes, the interior will still get uncomfortably hot while sitting in the summer, but it did so at a far slower rate. I went 20% though in both cases.

15% F and 25% R. It appears darker because of the windshield sunscreen.
That's odd - usually you go darker in the back and lighter in the front. This makes it legal and the darker back makes the fronts look darker.

That's odd - usually you go darker in the back and lighter in the front. This makes it legal and the darker back makes the fronts look darker.
Yes. It's the other way around and the tint is different values as I mentioned a little further along in the thread.

I have 30% front and 20% rear ceramic on my car. It doesn’t block all heat but I can definitely tell a difference of heat on the leather when sitting in the sun. Especially when it shines the side window and the windshield on the same seat, the window side is much cool then where the windshield shines in.

Thanks. Every option except cooled seats. I don't think Carl B. likes to punch holes in this leather:
We had perf’d leather once - and agreed to avoid it in the new Tahoe - even a low mileage unit already had crud stuck in the holes
Maybe they should offer a solid bottom and perf’d backrest

I just got my windows tinted on my daily driver as well. I went with a good ceramic tint that blocks UV and rejects the majority of heat. They make all sorts of different levels, the cheaper you go the less heat rejection it has. I went with the most expensive for the best protection.

22% front and 56% rear over the OEM privacy glass (to give me the UV protection and heat rejection).

The metered results are 20% front and 16% over the rest of the vehicle.

Like mentioned above, the fronts look to be a bit darker due to the sun screen placed on the front windshield.

IMG_20220814_133325750.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. Our '19 CR-V was basic with little to no tint. It also needed tires. Instead of tint and tires, it got traded. We drove it 3 years and got our money back. The new Tucson has plenty of tint. It's pretty lame for Honda not to tint the LX trims better.

Back