I've never liked tinted windows but its just too hot. I gave in.

This is Florida legal, at least that's what the MB dealership told me. Same on all 4 windows, even though the back looks darker.
MB.jpg

I got a ceramic tint on my Dodge Ram and all of my daily drivers that didn’t already come tinted. For the rear window, I opted for a clear ceramic film, as the factory privacy tint was dark enough. Here in central Texas, a good ceramic tint makes a huge difference
26FDD7D4-7BF9-460B-AD77-AAF49D273192.jpeg

I’ve lived in Texas my whole life. It’s been many years since I’ve had vehicle windows tinted. Any heat reduction is minimal at best, and that’s with the newer ceramic tints.

I’m not saying window tint doesn’t help in terms of heat reduction, but it’s very insignificant in the real world. IMO window tint is used more for privacy and the cool factor.

The reduction in heat is minimal at best; it is mostly perception.

Signed,
Guy who has “high-end” ceramic tint on all 3 vehicles.
That is absolutely not true. I have 3 F150's, the only one with window tint is a black one and it's cooler than the others by a wide margin.

I’ve lived in Texas my whole life. It’s been many years since I’ve had vehicle windows tinted. Any heat reduction is minimal at best, and that’s with the newer ceramic tints.

I’m not saying window tint doesn’t help in terms of heat reduction, but it’s very insignificant in the real world. IMO window tint is used more for privacy and the cool factor.
That's definitely not the case in my Texas. Mid-late afternoon, sun lowering as you drive north, heat on your left side, major reduction with the film used in the video I posted earlier. YMMV but that's my perception in actual usage.

The reduction in heat is minimal at best; it is mostly perception.

Signed,
Guy who has “high-end” ceramic tint on all 3 vehicles.
Minimal heat reduction, OK. What about helping to minimize sun damage to the interior, such as fading upholstery?

Minimal heat reduction, OK. What about helping to minimize sun damage to the interior, such as fading upholstery?
Automotive glass already protects against UVB. Tint may give you a small advantage for UVA, but it is minimal.

Even a small advantage might be better than nothing. Most of my previous cars wound up with various faded plastics in their interiors, eventually.

The tint I put on my car does much better than "small amounts" of heat, UV, etc. protection. Watch the video. Look it up on 3M site and read the specs. Or just continue believing erroneously.

The tint I put on my car does much better than "small amounts" of heat, UV, etc. protection. Watch the video. Look it up on 3M site and read the specs. Or just continue believing erroneously.

Not saying all vehicles use this glass, but the technology is out there so it wouldn't surprise me if many OEM's already use it. Plus according to their marketing info, existing privacy glass already blocks out 93% of UV.

15% F and 25% R. It appears darker because of the windshield sunscreen.
Mine has 35% on the doors and rear window. During the day, the front door windows don't look near as dark as the rear doors or the rear window because of the light coming through the front window. When it's in my garage and no lighting on, the fronts and rears look the same.

Funny thing is, it is not a matter of how dark the tint is that "blocks" the heat, it is how much UV and IR light it blocks.
You can get a light tint with high UV/IR blockage that works much better than a super dark tint with poor UV/IR ratings.
This is why there is such a big price difference in tints. You get a $100 tint job, it is going to be with a film that only blocks visible light (and probably UV), but to get a tint that blocks UV as well as IR, plus does not fade, you will pay 3-4x that (if not more).

You say you don't tint, your actions do not reflect that (or you had a very poor tint shop that did not explain this to you or went for a low cost option).

My wife has night vision issues, so when we tinted her front side windows, we went with a high quality 50% tint (some super fancy 3M stuff). Blocks tons of heat, but still very "see through" at night.
I know 3M now makes some tint that is like 90% transparent, but blocks 99% UV and IR, it is what many use to tint their windshields (although illegal in most states, it is clear enough that you can usually get away with it).
I know many years ago I had an '04 Elantra that the A/C had a hard time keeping up with cooling off the back seats, but once I got a good tint (35% front doors, 20% rear doors, 35% rear window, I believe it was 99% UV and 70% IR, tint back then was not as good as it is now) the A/C had no issues cooling the car off.

In my younger days I had 20% all around my G37s in cali, never got questioned once for it for over 9 years and I did get many other tickets...It looked like a legal tint in the daytime. The issue I had was I had to pull my windows down to see and avoid scraping my rims while parallel/curb parking. General visibility at night was bad, so I haven't had them since. The only way I would get them is if I was single and intended on having sex in my car. Or moving to a straight up desert.

Why would you not like tinted windows?
Just a subjective thing, i guess. On most cars, i never liked the look before. But the positives outweigh the negatives. My wife says she really likes the look. Enough for me. Lol

So far so good. The vehicle cooled down much quicker than before. It seems to be doing its job.

I always thought tint was coolness factor until I spent time in the desert. Wow! What a difference with 3M crystalline. It doesn't keep the heat out but it sure does slow it down (with a/c on).

On the other hand, I've seen lots of cars at the wrecking yard with purple tint peeling off. Turns out the cheap stuff uses dye which doesn't last.

Last edited:
And from someone who will donate to another Dermatologist and his/her retirement house in the AM
There is more to it - UV protection for the side of your face …

I'm a semi truck mechanic. I've noticed the older truck drivers that have been in the saddle for years are visible different on the left side of their face vs the right side.

Back