I've narrowed it down to 2...

Status
Not open for further replies.
in need of new tires for my mazda mx6. its mostly a commuter car and MPG and treadwear seem to matter the most to me. occasional spirited driving (on twisty two lane road to the beach of course).

i've got it down to:
Yokohama Avid H4s
treadwear: 500
traction: AA
temp: A
warranty: 60k
max press: 44 psi
tread depth: 10/32"
section width 8"
diameter: 24.3"

Nitto NT-460
treadwear: 460
traction: A
temp: A
warranty: 65k
max press: 35 psi
tread depth: 11.5/32"
section width 7.68"
diameter: 24.21"

I currently had/have a set of NT-460s that lasted about 60k and was very happy with the purchase. Good ride, MPG, handling, wear. I kinda want to try something different and the H4s sound nice. The H4s are directional, which look nice, but worry me about even treadwear. I know what I'd get out of the NT-460s, but maybe I'm missing out on the Yoko's. Price is close enough to be non-issue.

Anyone's opinions, and input great appreciated.

I you liked the Nittos I'd stick with them. I don't have any experience with these two brands but they look pretty even in most terms. The Yokohamas seem to have a little edge, but these numbers don't directly compare well between brands.

-T

I haven't tried the NTs but I have used the Yokohama Avid. The Yokos were troublefree and superb in every category. It only snows here once every 26 years! They might be OK in snow for all I know.

I've read great reviews on the Yoko's and might just go with them as they will come out $20 cheaper and then I'll get to try something new. The H4s seem a little beefier with more section width and I like the higher pressure rating, as I always kept the nitto's max'd for MPG at 35psi, and could bump up the avids to 36.
Allright, I think I've got it now. I'll report back after I've chosen and driven the new tires for a little while.

surf,
i'm also considering the H4S's along with Kumho ASX's or even the BFG Traction TA - what's your thought on these?

Max, i didn't look at those tires in my shopping as the ASX and TAs were in a higher price range than the H4s from tires.com. not sure if they ship to canada, but in the US its free s/h and no tax, so the H4s came out much cheaper.

I think the ASX would be a higher performance tire, with less treadlife. its all about compromise, do you want performance or long tirelife? hopefully the H4s will have both.

Max, i didn't look at those tires in my shopping as the ASX and TAs were in a higher price range than the H4s from tires.com. not sure if they ship to canada, but in the US its free s/h and no tax, so the H4s came out much cheaper.

I think the ASX would be a higher performance tire, with less treadlife. its all about compromise, do you want performance or long tirelife? hopefully the H4s will have both.

just ordered the H4s from discount tire (tires.com) $58 each. total $232 with free shipping, no tax. i got talked into the roadhazard warranty which is $7 a tire but they also include the valve stems. the warranty covers irrepairable damage, buldges, etc and they will ship you a new tire free of charge for the life of the tires, as long as they have tread left. you don't even need to ship your old tire back to them. thats what sold me, plus with the $50 rebate, i nearly got one tire for free. local shop couldn't come close to that price, even on cheaper kumho's.
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back