It Has Been Busy At Kumho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up to those considering the purchase of Kumho tires. There are a lot of new products coming out, so you may want to wait.

Quote:
Kumho introduces four passenger tires to dealers

Kumho Tire U.S.A. Inc. introduced four new tires at its annual dealer sales conference. Three of the tires are "green" tires formulated with environmentally friendly compounds.

1. The Ecsta LE Sport KU39. The new premium ultra-high performance tire is being positioned between the Ecsta XS and Ecsta SPT, and will replace the Ecsta MX. It features an asymmetric tread pattern for ride comfort and a solid center rib for straight-line stability.

Available in 40 metric sizes, the Ecsta LE will compete against the Continental Extreme Contact, Michelin Pilot Sport 2, Bridgestone Potenza RE050, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, Hankook Ventus V-12 evo and Pirelli P Zero Nero.

2. Eco Solus HM KR22. The premium high-mileage tire is backed by a 100,000-mile limited tread wear warranty. It is the first in a family of passenger and light truck tires that are "formulated to be less impactful on the environment while delivering exceptional performance," according to the company.

The T-rated HM KR22 will be available in 22 P-metric sizes and one metric size this spring. Kumho lists the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred and Michelin Hydroedge as "comparable competitor products."

3. Eco Solus KL21. Kumho is targeting the tire for crossover vehicles, SUVs and minivans. Designed to deliver ride comfort, fuel economy and a quiet ride, the KL21 is backed by a 60,000-mile limited tread wear warranty.

It is available in 21 metric and P-metric sizes ranging from 235/65TR16 to 265/50VR20. Kumho says the tire will compete against the Michelin Latitude Tour HP.

4. ecowing KH30. Kumho says all-season performance was not compromised in the development of this green tire, which features a linking leaf sidewall design. It will be available in 21 H- and V-rated replacement OE sizes ranging from P185/60R14 to P215/55R17 in July 2010.. It competes against the Michelin Energy Saver AS and Michelin Hydroedge with Green X; the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max; and the Bridgestone Ecopia.

In addition, Kumho is making its Solus KH25, an OE tire, available to the aftermarket. The all-season high performance tire eventually will replace the KH16.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/News/Sto...conference.aspx

Here is another source:

Quote:
Kumho Tire USA unveiled eight new products form 2010 at its annual dealer meeting in Desert Palm, Calif., last week, including three new fuel efficient consumer lines.

And the company plans to submit its first four entries for EPA SmartWay truck tire fuel efficiency certification.

Coming over the course of 2010 are four new passenger lines and four new medium truck radials, according to Charles van Heusden, Kumho’s training manager.

New on the truck tire side are the KLS02 line-haul steer, KMA01 on/off highway radial, the KMA02 on/off road mixed service tire, and the KLD02 line-haul drive radial.

The KLS02 is a premium rib design with a decoupler groove for irregular wear resistance and steering stability. The line will be available in sizes 11R22.5, 11R24.5, 295/75R22.5 and 285/75R24.5.

KMA01 will come in five sizes: 11R22.5, 11R24.5, 12R22.5, 225/70R19.5, and 315/80R22.5. The four-rib tire features a cut and chip resistant tread compound, and can be used at steer or trailer positions.

The KMA02, meanwhile, was designed for traction and cut resistance, and will come in sizes 385/65R22.5, 425/65R22.5 and 445/65R22.5.

KLD02 features an extra-deep 30/32-inch tread depth and a five-rib design. The tire will come in sizes 11R22.5, 11R24.5, 295/75R22.5 and 285/75R24.5.

On the consumer tire side, new are the Ecsta LE, the Ecowing KH30, the Edo Solus KL21 and the Eco Solus HM.

The Y-rated Ecsta LE replaces the Ecsta MX, and is a max summer UHP targeting high-end European vehicles. With a UTQG of 280AAA, the tire will be available in 14 sizes over 16- to 20-inch wheel diameters.

Coming in July, the all-season Ecowing KH30 carries a 440AA UTQG and will be available in 21 sizes H- and V-rated for 14- through 17-inch diameters to cover direct OE replacements. Four sizes will be extra-load tires.

The Eco Solus KL21 comes with a 60,000-mile treadwear warranty and will focus on the CUV/SUV segment. The T-, H- and V-rated line will have 21 sizes for 16- to 20-inch wheel diameters, in P-metric and Euro metric options.

The Eco Solus HM, meanwhile, was developed as a fuel efficient high mileage premium line, and has a 100,000-mile treadwear warranty. The T-rated tire, available this spring, has a 740/800 UTQG rating, and will be available in 22 sizes for 13- through 17-inch diameters.

http://tirereview.com/Article/70266/eco_tires_mtr_top_new_kumho_offerings.aspx

When it came time to replace the tires on my car,I bought the cheapest ones that would fit,Kumho Ecsta`s. THE BEST tires I`ve ever had!

I have purchased 2 sets of kumho for 2 different cars. They are great tires

I'm not completely thrilled with my Kumho's on the Malibu, the 732 Touring Plus. The winter traction is not what I was hoping for. The price was right and I'm getting good wear out of them, though.

My fiancee had Kumho's on her previous vehicle. Certainly seemed to be decent tires for the money.

Personally, I prefer Michelin's. I have little problem spending a few bucks extra for good tires, as they're literally the only thing between my car and the ground. They also tend to be manufactured in the US or Canada, which is always nice.

Edit: That said, a 100,000 warranty from Kumho on the tires is pretty good. Definitely something to keep in mind the next time around.

Last edited:
Quote:
the Ecsta LE will compete against the Continental Extreme Contact, Michelin Pilot Sport 2, Bridgestone Potenza RE050, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, Hankook Ventus V-12 evo and Pirelli P Zero Nero.

An all-season tire and a bunch of summer tires at completely different levels? Sounds like someone doesn't know the market very well.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Quote:
the Ecsta LE will compete against the Continental Extreme Contact, Michelin Pilot Sport 2, Bridgestone Potenza RE050, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, Hankook Ventus V-12 evo and Pirelli P Zero Nero.

An all-season tire and a bunch of summer tires at completely different levels? Sounds like someone doesn't know the market very well.

Technically the all-season tire is named ContiExtremeContact, however most people leave out the "Conti" portion.

Maybe Kumho is referring to the ExtremeContact DW? which is a summer tire

Originally Posted By: opus1
I'm not completely thrilled with my Kumho's on the Malibu, the 732 Touring Plus. The winter traction is not what I was hoping for. The price was right and I'm getting good wear out of them, though.

Indeed - I recently replaced a set of 732s with Michelin Destinys. The snow traction difference is night and day.

My only experience with Kumho was a warranty situation. I managed a fleet of trucks and sometimes we would get some oddball tires on them. A Kumho had come apart and caused body damage, so I emailed customer service. About 5 minutes after I hit the send button on the email I got a phone call from them. They were sorry, would have the tire picked up, get two estimates for the damage and they would pay. UPS came to pick up the tire the next day.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Falkens are great tires too.

I had Falken Ziex Ze912.... they weren't that great.

Decent grip on the street. Gets noisy real quick.

With the lack thereof siping, I wouldn't trust my life with them in the snow/ice (that isn't a big issue...since I run dedicated snows regardless)

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

With the lack thereof siping, I wouldn't trust my life with them in the snow/ice (that isn't a big issue...since I run dedicated snows regardless)

The few times I had my ZE-512s (when I still had them on the car) out in the snow, they were ALL OVER the place! (I also usually run 4 dedicated winters/snows as well
wink.gif
)
But remember, this was on a 375 hp to the wheels, 4.10 axle ratio, rear drive, front weight bias, 255 tire section, application.
crazy2.gif

Now, I would consider their XS as my next purely summer/performance tire IF they made it in a size I could put on a 16x8 wheel (a 265/45 is NOT going to work on an 8" wheel!!
31.gif
)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

The few times I had my ZE-512s (when I still had them on the car) out in the snow, they were ALL OVER the place! (I also usually run 4 dedicated winters/snows as well
wink.gif
)
But remember, this was on a 375 hp to the wheels, 4.10 axle ratio, rear drive, front weight bias, 255 tire section, application.
crazy2.gif

Now, I would consider their XS as my next purely summer/performance tire IF they made it in a size I could put on a 16x8 wheel (a 265/45 is NOT going to work on an 8" wheel!!
31.gif
)

That's why the "M+S" and other versions of the Mud & Snow designations are misleading to the consumers. All it needs is having a minimum void ratio of the tread design to get the M+S designation.

I love their tires, but find them somewhat hard to purchase locally at a good price.

Sure I can get them from tirerack, or discount tire direct, but after paying another shop to install them, I'm paying more than another comparable brand.

That's why the "M+S" and other versions of the Mud & Snow designations are misleading to the consumers. All it needs is having a minimum void ratio of the tread design to get the M+S designation.

Interesting! I had never heard that.

I like the KR21 on my Buick. They ride quiet, don't complain on corners, etc. They could be better on wet traction and snow traction, though.

I would consider the KR22 if I was looking right now.

K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back