It Has Been Busy At Kumho

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 732s on the car now. They were on there when I got the car and are from 2001. Actually have a few tears in the sidewalls, looks like cracks but are tiny hairline slits, but are holding up just fine.

I plan to replace those when the wear out with either a BFG touring t/a pro series h or the Kumho Solus KH16. The price is quite close and the BFG's come with free warranty/balancing from Sam's but the Kumhos have great reviews from here and the tire rack.

Mjoeking,

I'm hoping you're planning on replacing these tires in the spring! There are at least 9 years old and you live in a state where it's recommended that tires be replaced every 7 or 8 years!

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
My only experience with Kumho was a warranty situation. I managed a fleet of trucks and sometimes we would get some oddball tires on them. A Kumho had come apart and caused body damage, so I emailed customer service. About 5 minutes after I hit the send button on the email I got a phone call from them. They were sorry, would have the tire picked up, get two estimates for the damage and they would pay. UPS came to pick up the tire the next day.

I was in virtually the same situation as you regarding Kumho's. The difference was I had to deal with Tire Rack for warranty service. It was not a great experience but after a couple of months, I did get an adjustment. No more fleet purchases online for me, and no more Tire Rack unless they have something I absolutely have to buy.

I hope they come up with something better than their ASX all season, those were the worst tires I've ever had! Their snow performance was downright scary, I almost spun out the Vette twice last winter because they couldn't get any grip. I've never had that problem with the Pirelli P Zero Neros or the F1 all seasons.

I recently had a tirerack problem also.

they didnt help me.. had a smart-### on the phone and
they basically said they didnt want my business

So I called discount tire.

Got free shipping and half off a second tire so I could replace a set and not have one odd tire.

I had the dealer roadforce balance them. Cost me 35$ for 2 tires.

I've ordered 4 sets of tires from tirerack now.

When it comes time for the 5th set unless they are unusually cheaper.. I'll be making my selection from someone else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Patman
I hope they come up with something better than their ASX all season, those were the worst tires I've ever had! Their snow performance was downright scary, I almost spun out the Vette twice last winter because they couldn't get any grip. I've never had that problem with the Pirelli P Zero Neros or the F1 all seasons.

Interesting. ASX actually do pretty well on Subaru WRX's in winter conditions. The are considered decent all-seasons in the snow. Did you have ASX front and rear or on a single axle?

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Interesting. ASX actually do pretty well on Subaru WRX's in winter conditions. The are considered decent all-seasons in the snow. Did you have ASX front and rear or on a single axle?

Just on the rear, but that's all I needed to know they are terrible, as my tires would start to spin on a slight incline even when starting out with the second gear start feature of my automatic and not touching the gas at all but just letting it idle along! No other tire on this car ever did that, not even the original equipment tires (which were summer tires!)

I have SOlus KH16 on my Tbird, and I like them but They're not equal to the General Altimax HPs my wife has on her Elantra..

If any of the new Kumhos can be up to par with the Altimax, I'd seriously consider them as next tires for my Tbird.

I agree ... I love the General Tire Altamax HPs. I bought a set for my Ford Focus from TireRack, and put them on last spring. They are teriffic tires.... are great in both wet and dry conditions. They improved the handling tremediously.

Last edited:
where can you get the KR22? I don't see them anywhere online. I am interested, I have the KH16 on my car now and like them, generally speaking. But I would like my next tire to be an energy optimized one.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
where can you get the KR22? I don't see them anywhere online. I am interested, I have the KH16 on my car now and like them, generally speaking. But I would like my next tire to be an energy optimized one.

It's supposed to be launching this spring, so I would expect in the next few months.

Anyone tried the KH30 LRR tire? I have a pretty light FWD sedan with 4/32" oem tires (they're 13 years old!), this winter is looking like its going to be apocalyptic, and I live in New England.. so I'm going to need a solid all-season that won't run away from me on packed snow highways.

I've owned 2 sets of Kumho Road Venture tires on my F150 so far and have been satisfied for what I paid. Dry traction, noise, and wet traction are excellent and pretty much cover 95% of my yearly driving. On the other hand I find that Kumhos aren't the best when it comes to treadwear with regular tire rotations and they can be a bit on the soft side in terms of handling.

Ultimately, they are always priced right and have generally good reviews online so i'll keep buying them.

You were lucky on the Road Ventures-only got 40K out of them on my work van, even with regular rotations they got so lumpy I couldn't take them anymore-and they were almost impossible to get balanced!

No more Kumhos for me. Recommended the KR21 to my mother for her Highlander and one of the tires is out of round and Kumho won't respond. Daughter has KR21s on her old Lexus and I'm not impressed. My tire dealer has stopped selling Kumhos because of premature wear and lack of support on warranty issues.

The OEM KH16s on my Focus handle OK, and ride OK. They are not very good in wet, and I won't even try them in snow. They are the worst tramlining tires I've ever had. We have lots of grooved interstate around here, and they track horrible.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
You were lucky on the Road Ventures-only got 40K out of them on my work van, even with regular rotations they got so lumpy I couldn't take them anymore-and they were almost impossible to get balanced!

That's the same mileage I got before the tread depth was practically useless in snow/mud.

BUT, I am not a stickler for tread life unless I'm only getting 15K out of a set of tires. My concern is more with noise/control/grip when there is a reasonable amount of tread depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back