It happened again!?!?

I posted about this issue a while ago. I have a 2009 BMW N52 with 72k miles. I drove the car to Costco and Menards. The car started up fine in the morning (I keep the battery on a trickle charger since I dont drive it much because of covid). I parked the car in a parking spot at Costco and came back after 30 min-1hr pushed the start button and the car cranked for like 2-3 sec then started up. I drove to Menards after Came back after 25 min, started the car up, and boom it fired right up. I had this same issue during the beginning of 2021 and a year ago after I got the Valve Cover Gasket and Oil Pan Gasket replaced(where it would take 2-3 seconds to start/turn over). Ignition coils and Spark Plugs were done 1k miles ago. I don't get it. Wth is wrong? Ground wires? Starter? Bad/old gas(Last time I filled the tank to full was maybe in November of 2020?) I filled a few gallons Jan 4th. No codes showing up either. I started the car two days ago and it started fine. Now here comes this issue again.

Last edited:
Is 2-3 seconds a slow crank? I’ve owned countless numbers of cars and sometimes they cranked right up instantly, and sometimes they would take a couple seconds. Depending on a lot of factors the engine may take a couple seconds to start. The moon and planet alignment being one of them.

could it be a bad ground? I had a slow crank with my 2009 n54 recently and eventually it wouldn't start. bad ground strap in the engine bay was the cause.
135203024_227471802198999_5671844104126490178_n.jpg
135470960_216547619976032_5643996937408969190_n.jpg

That's the engine ground.

I'd guess you need a new battery.
My experience with old BMWs is that anything short of a fully charged
healthy battery will be problematic.
Is it the original battery?

This may be a dumb question but when you got anewbattery did you match the battery? From what I under stand you have to use a scan tool with the battery matching function in order for the ecu and alternator tobproperly recognize and charge the battey.

This may be a dumb question but when you got anewbattery did you match the battery? From what I under stand you have to use a scan tool with the battery matching function in order for the ecu and alternator tobproperly recognize and charge the battey.
The previous owner had the battery installed by a BMW mechanic. I'm pretty sure they coded and registered the new battery.

When it is trying to start, does it sound like the starter is spinning at a normal speed, or too slow?

If it cranks normally but only starts after a few seconds, that is as others said almost always because the gas that normally stays in the fuel lines has run back down into the tank. The fuel pump has to run for a few seconds to bring it back up. That situation is completely harmless other than delayed starting.

When it is trying to start, does it sound like the starter is spinning at a normal speed, or too slow?

If it cranks normally but only starts after a few seconds, that is as others said almost always because the gas that normally stays in the fuel lines has run back down into the tank. The fuel pump has to run for a few seconds to bring it back up. That situation is completely harmless other than delayed starting.
idek how to tell the difference between a slow starter and a normal. But, it cranks normally and starts after like 2-3 secs.

That's the engine ground.

I'm no mechanic but FCPeuro says that green means that it's corroded.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/bmw-ground-strap-theory-replacement

Same thing with Pelican Parts

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar..._Ground_Strap/70-ELEC-Engine_Ground_Strap.htm

"Note the green corrosion (red arrow) on my subject vehicle. This is an indicator of a ground strap that needs to be replaced. If touched, it would have a brittle feel and sound to it. If you find your strap this way, replace it before it fails."

I'm no mechanic but FCPeuro says that green means that it's corroded.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/bmw-ground-strap-theory-replacement

Same thing with Pelican Parts

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar..._Ground_Strap/70-ELEC-Engine_Ground_Strap.htm

"Note the green corrosion (red arrow) on my subject vehicle. This is an indicator of a ground strap that needs to be replaced. If touched, it would have a brittle feel and sound to it. If you find your strap this way, replace it before it fails."
Mines for sure is green. Guess I'll order one and replace it when I do my oil change in april

Back