It happened again, making change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet she is real handy furiously punching that phone of hers entering some inane gibberish that could have been left unsent. I don't know what the schools are teaching them currently but it is certainly not what I experienced seven decades ago.
frown.gif

Facepalm!!!!!!!

Not to be mean, but I think its clear why some people are employed where they are.. its not to say they are all like this.. but wow.. just wow...

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Im a debit card user 99 percent of the time anymore.

You should not be using a debit card for ANY purchases other than to use the ATM at the bank.

+1

Why? Id much rather someone pay with debit than cheque... is that your preferred method? ROFL.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I bet she is real handy furiously punching that phone of hers entering some inane gibberish that could have been left unsent. I don't know what the schools are teaching them currently but it is certainly not what I experienced seven decades ago.
frown.gif

Almost 35 springs ago, I took my AP calculus exam.
This past spring, my daughter took her IB calculus exam.
How things have changed...

Face it, there have always been those who don't care about school and/or just aren't able to get much out of it. They either drop out or they get a diploma so the school can get rid of them.
And, some kids challenge themselves, get something out of high school, and move on to college or work and try to excel there.
It's nothing exclusively new or old.

Originally Posted By: 757guy
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Im a debit card user 99 percent of the time anymore.

You should not be using a debit card for ANY purchases other than to use the ATM at the bank.

Fine, I'll bite. Care to share the reason?

I want to know too! This should be good...

For the financially savvy, you always use a credit card not only for theft purposes, but for the kickbacks for using a credit card. Fidelity does up to 2% back on all purchases. So it's actually cheaper to use a credit card than a debit card. Cash costs more than credit. Plus a debit card doesn't build up your credit rating. Credit cards do. A credit score is the ability to borrow money and pay it back in a timely fashion. That allows you to get the best interest rates when buying a car, home etc. It's why I have a couple of credit cards (in case one gets lost or flagged as compromised) and only use the debit card at the ATM. And I pay off the whole balance every month so they've actually never made any money from me on the interest charges, just from the merchant who gets charged a fee every time it gets used.

I think he was implying that it is less secure. It is, I have two debt cards from different credit unions and one credit card that gets paid in full every month. The debt cards I use as credit,by sign ing and not using the pin. Works great.

Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
I think he was implying that it is less secure. It is, I have two debt cards from different credit unions and one credit card that gets paid in full every month. The debt cards I use as credit,by sign ing and not using the pin. Works great.

I primarily use my credit card all the time for the kickbacks. You don't get that with the debit card. Some people who are really into it sign up for new cards all the time for frequent flyer benefits and some issuers had promos worth up to $400 for opening a new card. Then you just move onto a new card. It's call app o rama or AOR. Eventually you get shut down when you have too many cards, but some people have made thousands doing it til that happens.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I just use plastic. I have $27 in my wallet, a 20, a 5, and 2 1's. It's been there at least 3 months.

We must be related.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Which one is it people? Human service that isn't perfect, or machine service that is close to perfect but not warm and friendly?

I prefer the self checkout unless I'm buying something I know is on special but expect the machine to screw up, or something like that. The original complaint in this thread is no surprise. So many retail workers don't understand the concept of change. It's an entry level position and you wind up having to hire those with commensurate skills - in other words, few to none.

I NEVER use my debit card where it will leave my hand. When we eat out, I always pay with cash. I use my CC for online purchases and when we go out of town. I always call the CC co. and inform them where I'm going, how long I expect to be there and when I'll be back home. I call when I return home and have never had any problems. Wife gets on to me when I mess with the cashiers about making change. I can't make my IPhone jump through hoops but I can figure in my head how much change I have coming back. It's funny at times and maddening at others.

Lately I've had servers just round my change DOWN to the nearest dollar, ex 8.95 change becomes 8.00 ... I guess most people don't bother checking their change so the server gets a bigger 'tip' ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
"Common" sense is gone;

Common sense never was! Albert Einstein said many years ago "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

Nothing drives me crazy more than a bunch of old coots sitting around talking about common sense! And yes, I am old!
I don't agree.
It is common sense to not text while driving. I was well over 18 when texting came about.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
At at drive through window recently I handed the cashier $21.50 for a purchase that came to $6.35. They couldn't figure it out. Had to wait until the mgr had time to come over to assist.

Well, that is different than what the OP posted. If you had given $21.35, sure, very simple math.
Arent registers just fany calculators though? Purchase price is $x.xx, enter customer amount paid $x.xx and the machine tells the difference?
Never worked retail so no idea.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
"Common" sense is gone;

Common sense never was! Albert Einstein said many years ago "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

Nothing drives me crazy more than a bunch of old coots sitting around talking about common sense! And yes, I am old!
I don't agree.
It is common sense to not text while driving. I was well over 18 when texting came about.

At at drive through window recently I handed the cashier $21.50 for a purchase that came to $6.35. They couldn't figure it out. Had to wait until the mgr had time to come over to assist.

Well, that is different than what the OP posted. If you had given $21.35, sure, very simple math.
Arent registers just fany calculators though? Purchase price is $x.xx, enter customer amount paid $x.xx and the machine tells the difference?
Never worked retail so no idea.

Yeah, but what really screws them up is that when they tell you the total, you had them a 20 and realize that you have some change in your pocket so that when you reach for it, they've already punched in the $20 and then it's too late for their register to recalculate the change. I do it all the time, and lots of times I have to tell the cashier what to do and they just normally go along with it, I'm not sure if it takes them a couple extra seconds to realize I'm right or if they just don't care. Sometimes when I don't care, I just glance at my change and shove it into my pocket and don't worry if I got short changed or not.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Very few will make it when all of the assistive technologies fail.

This is spot on.

I work as an IT Administrator for a school district/town, and see this every day. We have teachers that when their smart board or overhead projector fails, they just refuse to teach. They claim they are unable to teach without working equipment. Many of them are in their 40s-50s, and were likely teaching long before this technology became available. I even remember in middle school when projectors or overheads would fail and we would move on to something else. Not the case in today's society. Technology is an extremely useful tool, but becoming so reliant on it that we fail to think for ourselves is a mistake.

The scary part about that is not only did they not know how to do math, they didn't know how to use a cash register. I worked in food service (Dunkin) during high school. Cash registers were basically calculators. They could've easily just punched in what you gave them, and it would've told them what to give you back.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
757guy said:
Using a debit card exposes it to theft. Legally, there is no limit to risk for a debit card -- if it's stolen and someone drains your checking account, you are fully liable for the loss. For credit cards, there is a legal limit of your liability which I believe is $50. If the card is stolen and used, you will be liable only for the first $50 of purchases.

Sometimes banks may show goodwill and give you back your cash in the checking account but that's more of a rarity than the norm.

Factually incorrect. Directly from the paperwork that came with my debit card (a legally-binding contract), I have EXACTLY the same protections that a credit card has.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: Donald
This is why retail workers will be replaced by automation.

I always see people complain about the self checkouts in stores now.

Which one is it people? Human service that isn't perfect, or machine service that is close to perfect but not warm and friendly?

I will go out of my way to use self-checkouts, and would willingly pay a premium to do so. I have found that the IQ of the operator is usually higher. I also haven't had sandwich rolls bagged under canned fruit or meat bagged with insecticide since I started using self-checkouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back