It happened again, making change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yes, sadly humanity seems to be regressing. We rely on machines for the simplest of tasks, and feel completely lost when the machines are taken away. And I'm guilty of some of it as well. I used to do a lot of math in my head. Now, I'm too lazy, and often times I forget how to. It's tragic.

Is it really tragic? It certainly feels that way. But if the skill is is going away because of disuse... isn't that the very definition of a less-relevant skill getting rarer?

Most likely, but then society ends up with a population of 50% retards walking around unemployed...

I fully believe the default human being in the United States has a lower IQ compared to just 20 years ago. "Common" sense is gone; from driving, to shopping, anything dealing with the general public, I'm starting to get scared about the future of humanity...

The rockheads are very tech savvy in how to use technology, but they are completely inept at how technology uses them. No wonder it's easier then ever to manipulate people.

On IQ scores in particular, something like the opposite is actually true: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Im a debit card user 99 percent of the time anymore.

You should not be using a debit card for ANY purchases other than to use the ATM at the bank.

Fine, I'll bite. Care to share the reason?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

You should not be using a debit card for ANY purchases other than to use the ATM at the bank.

I want to know too! This should be good...

Last edited:

http://www.refinery29.com/how-to-use-a-credit-card
http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/consumer-watchdog/avoid-using-debit-card-merchants499186879/
http://www.debtsmart.com/pages/article_3_reason_no_debit_071128761.html
http://clark.com/personal-finance-credit/dangers-of-debit-cards-how-to-avoid-fraud-theft/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbarro/2012/04/03/why-you-should-never-use-debit-cards/#54536c197848

Originally Posted By: 757guy

I want to know too! This should be good...

Using a debit card exposes it to theft. Legally, there is no limit to risk for a debit card -- if it's stolen and someone drains your checking account, you are fully liable for the loss. For credit cards, there is a legal limit of your liability which I believe is $50. If the card is stolen and used, you will be liable only for the first $50 of purchases.

Sometimes banks may show goodwill and give you back your cash in the checking account but that's more of a rarity than the norm.

I like my credit card for gasoline purchases and the bi-weekly groceries, household supplies, etc. But it's paid off every month.

I won't buy a pack of gum, drink, go out to eat, buy car parts at swap meet, etc., unless I have cash. Cold, hard, tangible cash. To be completely honest, it really influences your purchasing thoughts and keeps you from buying garbage. Swiping a plastic card gets to be such second nature that it doesn't hurt or make you feel guilty swiping it.

One negative I can however see from using a debit card everywhere, is the risks. Some banks might not help as much as others with fradulent charges. That gives someone a direct door to your funds.

Originally Posted By: Claud
When Britain ruled the biggest empire to date, we had the pound made up of twenty shillings, shillings made up of twelve pennies, and pennies made up of four farthings. And the florin coin worth two shillings, the half crown coin worth two and a half shillings, the sixpenny coin, the halfpenny coin, and in 1934 the threepenny coin. Upper crust society dealt in guineas, worth one pound and one shilling. At school we learned all this and math lessons frequently were all about working out change from purchases.
Now we use decimalised currency and are a has-been nation.
Perhaps there is a connection?.
smile.gif

Claud.

+1

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
"Common" sense is gone;

Common sense never was! Albert Einstein said many years ago "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

Nothing drives me crazy more than a bunch of old coots sitting around talking about common sense! And yes, I am old!

There are very good reasons for the DUMBING DOWN of America....just look at who is profiting from it...

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
My wife worked with a lady in an utility billing department who needed to use a calculator to figure out 10% penalties that people were constantly incurring. The wife showed her how to just move the decimal point over one and the gal said thanks and just kept using her calculator.

Nothing new, though, it was standard practice in the Maxwell Street Market in Chicago to keep an eye out for people who were not likely to be strong at math and rip them off when adding up their sales. My dad also told me places there would hire big bruisers to push people into stores (it wasn't all open air) and not let them leave until they bought something...as a kid, he became adept at getting low and dodging past their legs. Had something like that happen in Little Italy, a guy basically tried to push my small group into his restaurant...after we got away, he sneered and yelled, "Fuggedabotit!!!"

Maybe a sliderule would have been better?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
My wife worked with a lady in an utility billing department who needed to use a calculator to figure out 10% penalties that people were constantly incurring. The wife showed her how to just move the decimal point over one and the gal said thanks and just kept using her calculator.

Nothing new, though, it was standard practice in the Maxwell Street Market in Chicago to keep an eye out for people who were not likely to be strong at math and rip them off when adding up their sales. My dad also told me places there would hire big bruisers to push people into stores (it wasn't all open air) and not let them leave until they bought something...as a kid, he became adept at getting low and dodging past their legs. Had something like that happen in Little Italy, a guy basically tried to push my small group into his restaurant...after we got away, he sneered and yelled, "Fuggedabotit!!!"

Maybe a sliderule would have been better?

You mean to hit the bruisers on the head with so you could escape from the Maxwell St store???

I do agree it is necessary to know how to do math, I see the reason.

Seriously, how do kids make it out of high school these days without having simple math skills? Do they not teach these things anymore? Its not rocket science to make change.
Actually it is magic you touch the buttons and then like magic the numbers appears

Originally Posted By: Donald
This is why retail workers will be replaced by automation.

+1.....and a tribute to our costly educational system. I'm sure she/he was a high school grad.

I work part time selling guns. I do it because I enjoy the knowledge gained, the social aspects AND the discounts on guns and ammo. Some people come in claiming to have Ph.Ds and teach at Baylor and can't even do basic math. Uuuuummm what's the out the door price? Let's make this easy. $580 for the Smith M&P 2.0 you are looking at...for giggles say $58 in taxes, so $638 or a little less I say. When it comes in less I look like a hero because in their mind I saved them money. It's great...not

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I made a resent purchase that came to $11.26. I handed the cashier a twenty, a one, a quarter and a penny. She handed me back the one, the quarter and the penny telling me the twenty will cover it. I stated that I would like an even $10.00 back and she answered that WE would know know what the change would be until she rang it up. I asked her to enter the $21.26 as for the amount tendered and we would see what happened. When the change amount $10.00 appeared she was completely surprised and said, how did I know that would happen. My wife was walking away fearing eye contact with anyone and I answered as I left with my 10 dollar bill, "Magic". Computers are wonderful but they are becoming necessary for way too much.
Seeing your location. Was the cashier someone with a 'migration background'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back